cdrom burning on solaris/sparc

Post by Norman K. Schere » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I want to burn cdroms on my ultra 1 system.  Does anyone
have experience burning cdroms on a Sun?

What software did you use?
What hardware?
Any special problems?

Thanks
Norm

Post by Ken Feli » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> I want to burn cdroms on my ultra 1 system.  Does anyone
> have experience burning cdroms on a Sun?

> What software did you use?

cdrecord and cdrdao

Quote:

> What hardware?

plextor and philips 2600

Quote:

> Any special problems?

No, works find under sparc/ultra/x86 hardware.

Quote:

> Thanks
> Norm

Search on the web for cdrecord and cdrdao for more information.

--
CCNP w/security w/VoIP
Certified Solaris Admin

cdrom burning on solaris/sparc

Post by Tor Slettne » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

    Norman> I want to burn cdroms on my ultra 1 system.  Does anyone
    Norman> have experience burning cdroms on a Sun?

Yep. :-)

    Norman> What software did you use?  What hardware?  Any special
    Norman> problems?

You'll need a few utilities.

    - mkisofs/mkhybrid
    - cdrecord
    - cdparanoia (optional)
    - cdlabelgen (optional)
    - gcombust  (GUI front end)

You can find most of these on Linux distribution sites.  Try, for
instance,

    ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/source/

in various subfolders, such as "otherosfs", "sound" (cdparanoia),
"graphics" (cdlabelgen).

Harware: Any SCSI.  I use a HP 9200.

-tor

--
F?r i ulvekl?r

cdrom burning on solaris/sparc

Post by Norman K. Schere » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

>     Norman> I want to burn cdroms on my ultra 1 system.  Does anyone
>     Norman> have experience burning cdroms on a Sun?

> Yep. :-)

>     Norman> What software did you use?  What hardware?  Any special
>     Norman> problems?

> You'll need a few utilities.

>     - mkisofs/mkhybrid
>     - cdrecord
>     - cdparanoia (optional)
>     - cdlabelgen (optional)
>     - gcombust  (GUI front end)

> You can find most of these on Linux distribution sites.  Try, for
> instance,

>     ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/source/

> in various subfolders, such as "otherosfs", "sound" (cdparanoia),
> "graphics" (cdlabelgen).

> Harware: Any SCSI.  I use a HP 9200.

> -tor

> --
> F?r i ulvekl?r

Thanks for the info.

Norm

Post by Joerg Schilli » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:00:00

>    Norman> What software did you use?  What hardware?  Any special
>    Norman> problems?

>You'll need a few utilities.

>    - mkisofs/mkhybrid

mkisofs and mkhybrid have been merged about a year ago.
If you are using the separate version, you should definitely
upgrade because there are many many bugs in the old versions.

Quote:>    - cdrecord
>    - cdparanoia (optional)

Cdparanois does not compile on Solaris because it does not use
libscg to abstract from OS specific SCSI use mode transport.

Even on Linux, you get better results with cdda2wav:

cdda2wav -B -v255 -Owav -D...
cdrecord -v speed=12 -dao -useinfo *.wav

Will give you a much more acurate copy of an audio disk.
cdparanoia only makes sense if you are trying to use a bad CD-ROM
drive to extract audio data...

Quote:>    - cdlabelgen (optional)
>    - gcombust  (GUI front end)

>You can find most of these on Linux distribution sites.  Try, for
>instance,

>    ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/source/

>in various subfolders, such as "otherosfs", "sound" (cdparanoia),
>"graphics" (cdlabelgen).

Cdrecord is developed on Solaris. This makes it a lot easier to
achieve portability ;-)

The latest version of cdrtools may be found on:

        www.cdrecord.org

--

1. Burning CD's for Solaris 8 on SPARC

I need to burn some CD's on a NT machine that will be fully readable by
my UltraSPARC running Solaris 8.  It is my understanding that Nero is
the burning software of choice for this.  Can someone enlighten me as to
the configuration steps I should select to make it readable by my SPARC
machine?

Sam

2. ipchains & ipmasqadm

3. Burn RH5.2 RPMs to CDROM, install will not mount CDROM

4. Floppy Tape Drive

5. Burning a Solaris-2.5 CDROM

6. ufsdump remote

7. solution: how to burn bootable solaris cdroms

8. Linux freezes randomly

9. Will Solaris 9/SPARC binaries run on Solaris 8/SPARC ?

10. Update Solaris 8 Sparc to Solaris 9 Sparc

11. sparc (ultra sparc) solaris 8 vs. intel solaris 8 comparison

12. cdrom prob: sparc 5 solaris 2.4

13. howto change root password on solaris 9 on sparc without CDROM?