Making one mount off of 2 individual disks.

Making one mount off of 2 individual disks.

Post by Brenden McEwa » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 00:11:59

 Can anyone assist me in making one mount point off by taking a portion
of one disk and a portion of another?

Brenden McEwan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by David F. Newm » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 00:27:04

>  Can anyone assist me in making one mount point off by taking a portion
> of one disk and a portion of another?

It's called Volume Management.  It can be done with either Sun's Disk Suite
or Veritas' Volume Manager.  It allows you to take those "slices" off
of each disk and either stripe, concatenate, or mirror them into one
"volume" that you can put a filesystem on.  The entire manual for Disk Suite
is online at http://docs.sun.com.  I would sugest reading it before
undertaking this if you value the integrity of your data.

--
Dave

Post by Brenden McEwa » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 01:21:55

> >  Can anyone assist me in making one mount point off by taking a
portion
> > of one disk and a portion of another?

> It's called Volume Management.  It can be done with either Sun's Disk
Suite
> or Veritas' Volume Manager.  It allows you to take those "slices" off
> of each disk and either stripe, concatenate, or mirror them into one
> "volume" that you can put a filesystem on.  The entire manual for
Disk Suite
> is online at http://docs.sun.com.  I would sugest reading it before
> undertaking this if you value the integrity of your data.

> --
> Dave

I do have disk suite.  So I would create the two slices then using disk
suite, create the volume?

Post by Arthur Darren Dunh » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 03:33:33

>> >  Can anyone assist me in making one mount point off by taking a
>portion
>> > of one disk and a portion of another?

>> It's called Volume Management.  It can be done with either Sun's Disk
>Suite
>> or Veritas' Volume Manager.  It allows you to take those "slices" off
>> of each disk and either stripe, concatenate, or mirror them into one
>> "volume" that you can put a filesystem on.  The entire manual for
>Disk Suite
>> is online at http://docs.sun.com.  I would sugest reading it before
>> undertaking this if you value the integrity of your data.

>> --
>> Dave

>I do have disk suite.  So I would create the two slices then using disk
>suite, create the volume?

Yes.  Install Disk Suite (you have to create a state database and store
the replicas on disks.  Read the manuals).

After that's going, you create a concat device or a stripe device
(depending on what you want) and add the two slices in question to it.
Then, newfs the device and mount it.

The docs on the installation media or at docs.sun.com are very explicit
about how to install SDS and to create metadevices either with the
commandline or with metatool.

Good Luck!

Got some Dr Pepper?                               San Francisco Bay Area
      < Please move on, ...nothing to see here,  please disperse >

1. DUAL and SINGLE disk system / power off one disk ...

Hello,

there are two scsi disks in my linux systems. In normal cases I would
like to access all partitions on both disks /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.

But sometimes I would like to protect securely the data on my first
disk. Then I use the following procedure:

   o   shutdown and power off the whole system
   o   toggle a special electrical switch for the first disk;.
       this switch is located at the back side of the pc
       near the extension cards;
   o   power on and boot the whole system
   o   now only the second disk has power and is running;
       the first disk is not rotating;
   o   the adaptec detects only one disk and thats ok

But if I run the single disk system there are some problems with
/etc/fstab and the /etc/rc files. Herein we have some commands like
   swapon -a
   fsck -A
   mount -a
and so on. But /etc/fstab contains references to both /dev/sda AND
/dev/sdb. So there will be some errors during the boot process.

Do you have any ideas how to boot as either a SINGLE disk system
or as DUAL disk system?

Bye, Manfred

 /             Manfred Schneider  -  Heidelberg/Germany             /

2. Overcoming (social) geekdom thru (computer) geekdom-HOWTO

3. DISK USAGE OF INDIVIDUAL DISK

4. Can`t kill my Prozess!

5. fresh installation - making disk drive one big file system?

6. ? RH 3.0.3? Argh!

7. key-repeat on/off broken for individual keys

8. PATCH: typo fix for expfs

9. Deleting individual messages off pop server

10. Making a second disk bootable from SunOS 4.1.3 on first HD?

11. jaz-Drive as first SCSI-Disk (sda) makes problems!!!!!!

12. Making a boot floppy to mount hard disks and edit text files

13. mounting hda5 read/write off a rescue disk