name resolution under Solaris 1.1 and 2.2

name resolution under Solaris 1.1 and 2.2

Post by Mark Allend » Sat, 19 Feb 1994 00:16:50

We are having a problem setting up name resolution of two of our
sun machines (one running Solaris 1.1, the other 2.2).  We have
added the appropriate information to the /etc/resolv.conf file, and
nslookup appears to work just fine.  However, telnet, rlogin, ping,
etc. don't seem to name resolve at all.  Are we missing something
here?  I can't find anything in the man pages to point me to whatever
it is I need to do to get name resolution working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

--
-Mark Allender                            < insert standard disclaimer here >
-IBM -- SSD Tucson

Post by Paul Rossingt » Sat, 19 Feb 1994 17:20:02

: We are having a problem setting up name resolution of two of our
: sun machines (one running Solaris 1.1, the other 2.2).  We have
: added the appropriate information to the /etc/resolv.conf file, and
: nslookup appears to work just fine.  However, telnet, rlogin, ping,
: etc. don't seem to name resolve at all.  Are we missing something
: here?  I can't find anything in the man pages to point me to whatever
: it is I need to do to get name resolution working.

: Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

I hate this.  It's naff, but in SunOS 4.0.1 (some of us still use it!)
and presumably also in Solaris 1 you have to run YP to be able to use
the DNS.  It seems that the DNS resolver is tied up with the ypserv
command.

I haven't got the info to hand at the mo. but from memory (flame mode
off you guys) in the Makefile in /var/yp there should be two lines :-
#B=-b
B=

change them to read B=-b.  This tells YP to use DNS if it can't resolve
the query.  Then rebuild the hosts map - make hosts.time

I bet I can pre-empt your next question - why does nslookup work?  My
guess is it interrogates the resolv.conf and goes straight to the name
server listed.

If you want to dispense with YP completely then someone else maybe able
to help.

Paul.

--
Paul Rossington,                 | "All eyes were on Ford Prefect - some
Datastream International, London | were on stalks" - Hitch-hikers Guide

Post by Joseph_Jack.. » Sat, 19 Feb 1994 23:50:54

> We are having a problem setting up name resolution of two of our
> sun machines (one running Solaris 1.1, the other 2.2).  We have
> added the appropriate information to the /etc/resolv.conf file, and
> nslookup appears to work just fine.  However, telnet, rlogin, ping,
> etc. don't seem to name resolve at all.  Are we missing something
> here?  I can't find anything in the man pages to point me to whatever
> it is I need to do to get name resolution working.

For the Solaris 2.2 platform, check out "man nsswitch.conf".  I added
a line like "hosts: dns files" to /etc/nsswitch.conf and it seems to
work fine.  There's a comment in nsswitch.files that points out
another file that might need adjusting:

  # "hosts:" and "services:" in this file are used only if the /etc/netconfig
  # file contains "switch.so" as a nametoaddr library for "inet" transports.

Joe Jackson,
File Systems Product Support,
Transarc Corp.

Post by st.. » Sun, 20 Feb 1994 02:11:21

> We are having a problem setting up name resolution of two of our
> sun machines (one running Solaris 1.1, the other 2.2).  We have
> added the appropriate information to the /etc/resolv.conf file, and
> nslookup appears to work just fine.  However, telnet, rlogin, ping,
> etc. don't seem to name resolve at all.  Are we missing something
> here?  I can't find anything in the man pages to point me to whatever
> it is I need to do to get name resolution working.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Have you tried rebuilding the unix with NIS/yp support?  I found that
this solved similar problelms for me.

-----

name resolution under Solaris 1.1 and 2.2

Post by Ivan S. Bisho » Tue, 22 Feb 1994 02:34:41

Dear All,
        I have had similar problems with BIND on DNS 4.1.3 SUN clients...
        some do and some don't resolve. They are all yp clients to DECstation
        YP servers. I am at a loss as to what is causing this. I have already
        posted to comp.unix.wizards (oops).

        Any ideas appreciated.

        p.s. nslookup is OK but ping,telnet etc won't see past the YP
             domain, and BIND has many of my remote sites... history I'm
             afraid.
--
Ivan S. Bishop

Post by Robin Taw » Wed, 23 Feb 1994 03:39:34

> Dear All,
>         I have had similar problems with BIND on DNS 4.1.3 SUN clients...
>         some do and some don't resolve. They are all yp clients to DECstation
>         YP servers. I am at a loss as to what is causing this. I have already
>         posted to comp.unix.wizards (oops).

>         Any ideas appreciated.

>         p.s. nslookup is OK but ping,telnet etc won't see past the YP
>              domain, and BIND has many of my remote sites... history I'm
>              afraid.
> --
> Ivan S. Bishop

You should try to get BIND 4.9 from the net and Install it as it is described.
You have to build new shared libraries. Telnet, rlogin, and any other ip-client
will now use the new resolver-routines which will query the name-server.

This is at least what I did on our solaris 1.1 system. I don't know about
solaris 2.x, but I guess it will work fine.

Hope this helps,
        robin.
Wizard Software Engineering GmbH / Robin S. Tawab
Diessenerstr. 32 c                      Arnulfstr. 27
D-86935 Rott am Lech                    80335 Muenchen
Tel: +49 8869 9200 - 00                 +49 89 59047-255
Fax: +49 8869 9200 - 15                 +49 89 59047-200

Post by Roland Kaltefleit » Wed, 23 Feb 1994 21:25:55

>You should try to get BIND 4.9 from the net and Install it as it is described.
>You have to build new shared libraries. Telnet, rlogin, and any other ip-client
>will now use the new resolver-routines which will query the name-server.
>This is at least what I did on our solaris 1.1 system. I don't know about
>solaris 2.x, but I guess it will work fine.

Yes, DNS works fine in Solaris 2.3.

But you need to switch it on :-)

Ther is a file called /etc/nsswitch.conf

And ther is a line like:

hosts:      files

or

hosts:      nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files

Just add a "dns" there and ist fine:

hosts:      files dns

or

hosts:      nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files dns

The order in that list is significant !

Greetings Roland

--

In an other world in an other time to come, there won't be MS-DOS.

1. Solaris 1.1 and 2.2 compatibility

Hi,

Since my department has got a new Sun Sparc Server 10 model 512 I have
few questions about this machine:

1. Is Solaris 2.2 binary compatible with Solaris 1.1 (SunOS 4.1.3)?
2. Eventaully is it possible to install Solaris 1.1 on this machine
   since it is dual processor?

Thanks a lot in advance to everybody.

--

University of Minnesota    |  phone: (612) 626-7167
Minneapolis, MN 55337      |  "Theory guides, experiment decides"

2. Proxy module that can rewrite html pages on the fly?

3. Difference between SUN RPC version 1.1 and 2.2

4. IPV4 Latency Issue: 2.4.18 Kernel

5. Resin woes jdk1.2.2-native fbsd4.1.1-stable

6. showaudio and other problems

7. KDE 2.2 and KOffice 1.1 RC1 for Tru64 released

8. Q&A (categorized by subject)

9. resolution to "top" causing Solaris 2.1 panic (fixed in 2.2)

10. Solaris 2.2 in.named

11. Need adb macro for Solaris 2.2 to display processes names

12. Solaris 2.2 named and signal ABRT

13. Solaris 1.1 vs. Solaris 2.0 (BSD vs AT&T)