/usr/sbin/traceroute ha1 ksh: /usr/sbin/traceroute: not found

Post by joeh » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

/usr/sbin/traceroute ha1
ksh: /usr/sbin/traceroute:  not found

The system is System = SunOS
Node = xxx.ddd.com
Release = 5.6
KernelID = Generic_105181-15
Machine = sun4u

How? Why?  I have traceroute on SunOS 5.7

download it and compile it like the way
a c compiler and gzip were missing!
Can it be true?

--
Disclaimer: opinions expressed my own and not representative of my employers

Post by Philip Bro » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>/usr/sbin/traceroute ha1
>ksh: /usr/sbin/traceroute:  not found

>The system is System = SunOS
>Node = xxx.ddd.com
>Release = 5.6

5.6 doesnt ship with traceroute. you could TRY just copying it from
your 5.7 machine.

The word of the day is mispergitude

/usr/sbin/traceroute ha1 ksh: /usr/sbin/traceroute: not found

Post by James Bl » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Not only can it be true, it is true. Enjoy and I can't tell you why they
changed that. Version 1.4a5 is available for download from www.sunfreeware.com
as a package for Sparc Solaris 6. Otherwise you'll probably be left to compile
it.

Good luck,
James

> /usr/sbin/traceroute ha1
> ksh: /usr/sbin/traceroute:  not found

> The system is System = SunOS
> Node = xxx.ddd.com
> Release = 5.6
> KernelID = Generic_105181-15
> Machine = sun4u

> How? Why?  I have traceroute on SunOS 5.7

> download it and compile it like the way
> a c compiler and gzip were missing!
> Can it be true?

> --
> Disclaimer: opinions expressed my own and not representative of my employers

/usr/sbin/traceroute ha1 ksh: /usr/sbin/traceroute: not found

Post by Barry Margoli » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Not only can it be true, it is true. Enjoy and I can't tell you why they
>changed that.

Changed what?  Traceroute was never included until Solaris 7.  Solaris 2.6
didn't change anything, Solaris 7 added something.

Post by Chris Thomps » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Not only can it be true, it is true. Enjoy and I can't tell you why they
>changed that.

The change is that traceroute was absent from 5.6 (and all earlier versions)
but is present in 5.7. Your implication is that Sun did something evil, or at
least incomprehensible, by including traceroute in the later version - why so?

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk

/usr/sbin/traceroute ha1 ksh: /usr/sbin/traceroute: not found

Post by James Bl » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Actually I thought I remembered it being included with 2.51... then not in 6 and
back in 7... maybe it was just all the crack I did in preschool.

> >Not only can it be true, it is true. Enjoy and I can't tell you why they
> >changed that.

> The change is that traceroute was absent from 5.6 (and all earlier versions)
> but is present in 5.7. Your implication is that Sun did something evil, or at
> least incomprehensible, by including traceroute in the later version - why so?

> Chris Thompson
> Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk

/usr/sbin/traceroute ha1 ksh: /usr/sbin/traceroute: not found

Post by joeh » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> >Not only can it be true, it is true. Enjoy and I can't tell you why they
> >changed that.

> The change is that traceroute was absent from 5.6 (and all earlier versions)
> but is present in 5.7. Your implication is that Sun did something evil, or at
> least incomprehensible, by including traceroute in the later version - why so?

> Chris Thompson
> Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk

No, that's not my implication at all; it is just ignorance on my part
that i did not know 5.6 & earlier did not include traceroute; i assumed
because it was there in my previous experiences that it was bundled
thanks
Joe
--
Disclaimer: opinions expressed my own and not representative of my employers

/usr/sbin/traceroute ha1 ksh: /usr/sbin/traceroute: not found

Post by Igor Sobrado Delgad » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Actually I thought I remembered it being included with 2.51... then not in 6 and
> back in 7... maybe it was just all the crack I did in preschool.

Solaris 2.5.1 never included traceroute but... what is the matter about
download it from ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/ and compile it under Solaris?
You can get it from Lawrence Berkeley Labs. and compiles just fine
under Solaris, without problems.

I think it is best to get source from developers that a precompiled
package. It can be more updated,

Igor.

--
Igor Sobrado Delgado (SysOp at condmat03)     Physics undergrad student

                                                       Asturias (SPAIN)
System Manager of the Theoretical and Condensed Matter Physics Clusters

/usr/sbin/traceroute ha1 ksh: /usr/sbin/traceroute: not found

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>Actually I thought I remembered it being included with 2.51... then not in 6 and
>back in 7... maybe it was just all the crack I did in preschool.

Must have been; it wasn't there until S7.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Post by Lon Stowe » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>/usr/sbin/traceroute ha1
>ksh: /usr/sbin/traceroute:  not found

>The system is System = SunOS
>Node = xxx.ddd.com
>Release = 5.6
>KernelID = Generic_105181-15
>Machine = sun4u

>How? Why?  I have traceroute on SunOS 5.7

>download it and compile it like the way
>a c compiler and gzip were missing!
>Can it be true?

   Interesting that it knew the path.  Have you tried
   limiting your crossposting and typing in "which traceroute"?

   However, there is a newer version on www.sunfreeware.com that
   works a bit better.

Post by chad schroc » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> >The system is System = SunOS
> >Node = xxx.ddd.com
> >Release = 5.6

> 5.6 doesnt ship with traceroute. you could TRY just copying it from
> your 5.7 machine.

Yup, the Solaris 7 traceroute works quite well on 2.6.
2.5.1 as well.

--
chad at radix dot net

Post by joeh » Tue, 02 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>    Interesting that it knew the path.  Have you tried
>    limiting your crossposting and typing in "which traceroute"?

I typed in the path myself using it from pathname on SunOS 5.7
--
Disclaimer: opinions expressed my own and not representative of my employers