The Java story... or how to right a good Unix utility?

Post by yclept Keshl » Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Hello-
> I'm just starting out to learn Java and I would like to right applets to
> interact with the Solaris OS.

If you're willing to give up portability, you could use the
System.exec() method. See the JDK's documentation.

Better solution would be to write your own implementation of ls
using the java.io.* classes, so the code would work on any
operating system.
Joe Kesselman ("Keshlam"), http://www.lovesong.com/people/keshlam
October 3rd: NEW YORK CITY LABOR CHORUS w/ special guest PETER YARROW
performing at Walkabout Clearwater, http://www.lovesong.com/walkabout

Post by Pauline Seymou » Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> > Hello-
> > I'm just starting out to learn Java and I would like to right applets to
> > interact with the Solaris OS.

> If you're willing to give up portability, you could use the
> System.exec() method. See the JDK's documentation.

> Better solution would be to write your own implementation of ls
> using the java.io.* classes, so the code would work on any
> operating system.

> Joe Kesselman

I am fairly new to Java programming but am beginning to get a bit bothered
by the "proliferation" of classes; eg lots of people out there all writing
their own version of "print out the contents of the following directory",
some calling it "ls", some calling it "dir", some calling it "cat" or whatever.
Is there any attempt to coordinate some of these things?  After all "classes"
are the equivalent of "nouns" in any human language and the prospect of a
dictionary growing by leaps and bounds where everyone is adding their own
words in, with their own esoteric meanings (and lots of overlaps) doesn't
seem to be ideal - or have I missed something?  Perhaps everything ought to
be regarded as temporary until officially designated a Bean.  Do companies
at least have their own internal "Bean Bags"?

-------
 Pauline

In the systems being developed here, everything is coded in Java. There
are about 100 Java applications each running its own virtual machine.

I'm supposed to work with test and performance analysis of these systems
and I'm using tools that log system behaviour on process level.

The problem is that all I see is 100 processes named Java with some
small variations in command line parameters.

Is there a safe way to alter the process names either at startup or at
runtime ?
What could be the consequences of doing such a thing ?

//Hans Hagberg

2. install debian

3. Suggestions of good Unix WWW sites especially for utilities (text file viewers)

4. What else is hidden in MS code???

5. good reference book on unix utilities

6. can ping my other computer via HUB but can't FTP or TELNET

7. Good FTP utility for UNIX ? ? ?

8. EIDE perfomance survey

9. RE-Posted: How to write a good Unix utility in Jave - Text only format

10. Difference between GNU Utilities & Standard UNIX utilities

11. Good BSD Router Reading?? bedtime stories??

12. Good Story on Embedded Linux

13. whats the story on LINUX? Any good?