bus errors in multithreaded applications under Solaris 2.4

bus errors in multithreaded applications under Solaris 2.4

Post by richard marlon ste » Sat, 20 May 1995 04:00:00

Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
Subject: multi-threaded bus error under Solaris 2.4

I've got a big problem.  I've purchased the Workshop 1.1 with SparCompiler C
3.0.1 and am running a SparcLX with Solaris 2.4.  Much to my horror and
surpris I read the READMEs in the Workshop for C only to discover a known bug
that
prevents multiple threads that address unaligned data from running.  Thus,
with 300Klines of a software toxic wastedump to port from an X86 to the
Sparc, I'm kind of hosed.  My question:

The workaround states that the asm("ta 6") statement should be placed in
the thread entry point.  Does this mean that if the thread entry point
invokes 50 functions, each of which address unaligned data structures,
that this assembler directive should be inserted in each function?  Or
does this directive, when compiled in the thread at an arbitrary location,
suffice for the entire thread context?

Any clarification on the use of this work around would be greatly appreciated.
Better yet, has Sun released a patch for this problem?  What's the patch
number?
--rick
--

To those who know what is not known;  The Chronicles of Microwave Jim!

1. Solaris 2.4, Oracle 7.2.2.3, inodes, bus errors, and I/O errors

Using Solaris 2.4 on a 20 with Oracle.  Oracle has been running on this
machine for over a year.  Typically it has been pretty reliable - Until the
new year.

Lately we are receiving messages that file systems are full when they are not.
We receive messages that the /opt filesystem is out of inodes when df -e
indicates that there are over 400,000 free.
And any executable we run from /opt returns a bus error.
If we change directories into /opt we randomly receive "No device or Bad
Address" messages when navigating into subdirectories.

When these messages begin, Oracle returns "EOF on communication channel"
errors when trying to connect remote through SQLNet V2.  Oracle/Solaris
returns "Bus error" messages when trying to connect from the server itself.

After a reboot the messages go away then return 2 to 8 hours later.  It seems
to be Oracle usage related but no pattern has been established.

Any thoughts ?
Is it Oracle ? Solaris ? Hardware ?

Thanks
  Wayne

2. TCP Lag: Samba + IP Masq

3. Solaris 2.4 x86 Bus Mouse Install Fails

4. gccppc

5. Solaris 2.4 X86 on PCI bus

6. secure ftp & telnet

7. 3 SCSI buses on a SparcServer w/ Solaris 2.4?

8. Q: Dell Advance Port Replicator

9. Making X Applications under Solaris 2.4

10. Porting IXI Motif applications on Solaris 2.4 to CDE

11. Solaris 2.4 x86 applications

12. Error 0, connect(), multithreaded, Solaris 2.5.1

13. Ins key in ncurses applications?