Multi-boot with Solaris 8, Win98, Win 2000 and RedHat Linux 6.2?

Multi-boot with Solaris 8, Win98, Win 2000 and RedHat Linux 6.2?

Post by S. Smit » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00



I would like to set up a multi-boot scenario on a single Intel x86 system
with a 20GB hard drive, with the following operating systems:

Solaris 8
Red Hat Linux 6.2
Windows 2000 Professional
Windows 98

Does anyone have any recommendations on what order would be the
best for the installs, and which boot managers I should (or have to)
use? How about partitioning? Would FIPS and FDISK suffice for the
task?

Thanks in advance.

SS

 
 
 

Multi-boot with Solaris 8, Win98, Win 2000 and RedHat Linux 6.2?

Post by Stephen S. Edwards I » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00


: I would like to set up a multi-boot scenario on a single Intel x86 system
: with a 20GB hard drive, with the following operating systems:

: Solaris 8
: Red Hat Linux 6.2
: Windows 2000 Professional
: Windows 98

: Does anyone have any recommendations on what order would be the
: best for the installs, and which boot managers I should (or have to)
: use? How about partitioning? Would FIPS and FDISK suffice for the
: task?

Honestly, I think LILO would be the easiest booter to use.  In order to
get the WindowsNT booter to point to other non-FAT or non_NTFS partitions
is a little tricky (assuming that the NT boot manager hasn't been
significantly revamped since v4).

*GASP!*  Did I just say something _positive_ about _Linux_?

<:-O
--
.-----.
|[_] :| Stephen S. Edwards II | NetBSD:  Free of hype and license.
| =  :| "Artificial Intelligence -- The engineering of systems that
|     |  yield results such as, 'The answer is 6.7E23... I think.'"


 
 
 

Multi-boot with Solaris 8, Win98, Win 2000 and RedHat Linux 6.2?

Post by S. Smit » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00




>: I would like to set up a multi-boot scenario on a single Intel x86 system
>: with a 20GB hard drive, with the following operating systems:

>: Solaris 8
>: Red Hat Linux 6.2
>: Windows 2000 Professional
>: Windows 98

>: Does anyone have any recommendations on what order would be the
>: best for the installs, and which boot managers I should (or have to)
>: use? How about partitioning? Would FIPS and FDISK suffice for the
>: task?

>Honestly, I think LILO would be the easiest booter to use.  In order to
>get the WindowsNT booter to point to other non-FAT or non_NTFS partitions
>is a little tricky (assuming that the NT boot manager hasn't been
>significantly revamped since v4).

In that scenario, I think I'd need to use LILO *and* the NT boot loader. LILO
would point to Solaris and RedHat, and then to the DOS (i.e. Windows) partition.
Choosing the DOS partition would then launch the NT boot loader, which would
offer the Windows 2000 or Win98 options.

I'm assuming that neither LILO or the NT boot loader would work with all of the
individual OS options. I think something like System Commander could do it, or
maybe I could add the BeOS and use it's nice boot loader to handle all of the
operating systems at once. But then I'd be looking at a quintuple-boot system on
one 20 GB hard drive...and that's starting to push my luck, IMO.  ;-)

SS

 
 
 

Multi-boot with Solaris 8, Win98, Win 2000 and RedHat Linux 6.2?

Post by Tim How » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00



> I'm assuming that neither LILO or the NT boot loader would work with
> all of the individual OS options. I think something like System
> Commander could do it, or

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/06/05/209252

--
Tim Howe
* I won't speak for Sun if they promise not to speak for me. *

 
 
 

Multi-boot with Solaris 8, Win98, Win 2000 and RedHat Linux 6.2?

Post by Driz » Mon, 12 Jun 2000 04:00:00


El da Sat, 10 Jun 2000 19:37:07 -0500, Scott Smith deca:

Quote:

>What's the deal with the 8.5 GB limit of LILO?

Since version 21.3 I have no problem with this limit.

Saludos
Drizzt
--
____________________________________________________________________________
Drizzt Do'Urden                Three rings for the Elves Kings under the Sky  

                               hall of stone
                               Nine for the Mortal Men doomed to die

 
 
 

Multi-boot with Solaris 8, Win98, Win 2000 and RedHat Linux 6.2?

Post by Roy Adamse » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00


I run almost the same, on a Compaq Armada M700
with a IBM-DARA-212000 disk (11.5Gb).
My config:
   1. Win 2000 (First 4Gb)
   2. RedHat 6.2 - root-partition (1.5Gb)
   3. Solaris8 (3.5Gb)
   4. Ext. DOS - rest of RedHat (swap, home  2.4Gb)

I had to split up Linux in that way to be able to boot all
three systems.
First I installed Win 2000, then I partitioned the rest of
the disk using RedHat's fdisk, and installed RedHat 6.2.
I had then no problem booting Win2000 and Linux
using LILO. BUT after I installed Solaris8, Solaris
overwrote my MBR, I am not able to boot Linux
from the Solaris boot-loader.
When I select the Linux-partition, I get the message
"Booting the selected fidisk partition.......", and then
I get the message "BAD PBR sig".
I can boot Linux from floppy, but on my system, I
must have the floppy-drive connected to the parallell port
if I am using the DVD!
I have tried to configure LILO, but when I run /sbin/lilo
I get error-messages about cylinder boundary.
I can boot both Windows 2000 and Solaris8 from the
Solaris boot-loader.

Does anyone have any good ideas how I can solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Roy


> I've running the same scenario.
> My steps:

>     1. Win 98 (In the first 4 Gb)
>     2. Win 2000 (In the next 6 Gb)
>     3. RedHat 6.2 (after W2000)
>     4. Solaris 8 (at the end)

> I use lilo to boot the OS's, but you can use the
> W2000 boot.
> Be careful with the 8'5 Gb limit with lilo.



> > I would like to set up a multi-boot scenario on a single Intel x86 system
> > with a 20GB hard drive, with the following operating systems:

> > Solaris 8
> > Red Hat Linux 6.2
> > Windows 2000 Professional
> > Windows 98

> > Does anyone have any recommendations on what order would be the
> > best for the installs, and which boot managers I should (or have to)
> > use? How about partitioning? Would FIPS and FDISK suffice for the
> > task?

> > Thanks in advance.

> > SS

 
 
 

Multi-boot with Solaris 8, Win98, Win 2000 and RedHat Linux 6.2?

Post by Stephe » Sat, 17 Jun 2000 04:00:00



>I would like to set up a multi-boot scenario on a single Intel
x86 system
>with a 20GB hard drive, with the following operating systems:

>Solaris 8
>Red Hat Linux 6.2
>Windows 2000 Professional
>Windows 98

>Does anyone have any recommendations on what order would be the
>best for the installs, and which boot managers I should (or
have to)
>use? How about partitioning? Would FIPS and FDISK suffice for
the
>task?

>Thanks in advance.

>SS

There is a mini-howto: Linux+Dos+Win95+OS2
which is available for download at most large Linux sites.

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

 
 
 

Multi-boot with Solaris 8, Win98, Win 2000 and RedHat Linux 6.2?

Post by arun kuma » Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:00:00


Here is a solution I think might work.

First install Windows2000 and then install solaris. Make sure you can
boot win2k and solaris using the Solaris boot loader. Then install
linux.

But be very careful as redhat's installer will use you solaris partiion
for swap as they share the same partion id. Start redhat's installer
with expert mode and use fdisk to change solaris' partion id to say AIX
or some thing. install lilo on the mbr and point it to boot the solaris
partition. boot to linux change solaris' partition id back to 0x82.

There is a FAQ available at solariscentral.com from the x86 link on the
side.

Arun


> I run almost the same, on a Compaq Armada M700
> with a IBM-DARA-212000 disk (11.5Gb).
> My config:
>    1. Win 2000 (First 4Gb)
>    2. RedHat 6.2 - root-partition (1.5Gb)
>    3. Solaris8 (3.5Gb)
>    4. Ext. DOS - rest of RedHat (swap, home  2.4Gb)

> I had to split up Linux in that way to be able to boot all
> three systems.
> First I installed Win 2000, then I partitioned the rest of
> the disk using RedHat's fdisk, and installed RedHat 6.2.
> I had then no problem booting Win2000 and Linux
> using LILO. BUT after I installed Solaris8, Solaris
> overwrote my MBR, I am not able to boot Linux
> from the Solaris boot-loader.
> When I select the Linux-partition, I get the message
> "Booting the selected fidisk partition.......", and then
> I get the message "BAD PBR sig".
> I can boot Linux from floppy, but on my system, I
> must have the floppy-drive connected to the parallell port
> if I am using the DVD!
> I have tried to configure LILO, but when I run /sbin/lilo
> I get error-messages about cylinder boundary.
> I can boot both Windows 2000 and Solaris8 from the
> Solaris boot-loader.

> Does anyone have any good ideas how I can solve this problem?

> Thanks in advance.

> Roy


> > I've running the same scenario.
> > My steps:

> >     1. Win 98 (In the first 4 Gb)
> >     2. Win 2000 (In the next 6 Gb)
> >     3. RedHat 6.2 (after W2000)
> >     4. Solaris 8 (at the end)

> > I use lilo to boot the OS's, but you can use the
> > W2000 boot.
> > Be careful with the 8'5 Gb limit with lilo.



> > > I would like to set up a multi-boot scenario on a single Intel x86 system
> > > with a 20GB hard drive, with the following operating systems:

> > > Solaris 8
> > > Red Hat Linux 6.2
> > > Windows 2000 Professional
> > > Windows 98

> > > Does anyone have any recommendations on what order would be the
> > > best for the installs, and which boot managers I should (or have to)
> > > use? How about partitioning? Would FIPS and FDISK suffice for the
> > > task?

> > > Thanks in advance.

> > > SS

--
Arun Rao
Intern,EStar
Computer Systems
x80616
Http://gaia.ecs.csus.edu/~raoa
 
 
 

Multi-boot with Solaris 8, Win98, Win 2000 and RedHat Linux 6.2?

Post by arun kuma » Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:00:00


here is the link http://sun.drydog.com/faq/9.html


> Here is a solution I think might work.

> First install Windows2000 and then install solaris. Make sure you can
> boot win2k and solaris using the Solaris boot loader. Then install
> linux.

> But be very careful as redhat's installer will use you solaris partiion
> for swap as they share the same partion id. Start redhat's installer
> with expert mode and use fdisk to change solaris' partion id to say AIX
> or some thing. install lilo on the mbr and point it to boot the solaris
> partition. boot to linux change solaris' partition id back to 0x82.

> There is a FAQ available at solariscentral.com from the x86 link on the
> side.

> Arun


> > I run almost the same, on a Compaq Armada M700
> > with a IBM-DARA-212000 disk (11.5Gb).
> > My config:
> >    1. Win 2000 (First 4Gb)
> >    2. RedHat 6.2 - root-partition (1.5Gb)
> >    3. Solaris8 (3.5Gb)
> >    4. Ext. DOS - rest of RedHat (swap, home  2.4Gb)

> > I had to split up Linux in that way to be able to boot all
> > three systems.
> > First I installed Win 2000, then I partitioned the rest of
> > the disk using RedHat's fdisk, and installed RedHat 6.2.
> > I had then no problem booting Win2000 and Linux
> > using LILO. BUT after I installed Solaris8, Solaris
> > overwrote my MBR, I am not able to boot Linux
> > from the Solaris boot-loader.
> > When I select the Linux-partition, I get the message
> > "Booting the selected fidisk partition.......", and then
> > I get the message "BAD PBR sig".
> > I can boot Linux from floppy, but on my system, I
> > must have the floppy-drive connected to the parallell port
> > if I am using the DVD!
> > I have tried to configure LILO, but when I run /sbin/lilo
> > I get error-messages about cylinder boundary.
> > I can boot both Windows 2000 and Solaris8 from the
> > Solaris boot-loader.

> > Does anyone have any good ideas how I can solve this problem?

> > Thanks in advance.

> > Roy


> > > I've running the same scenario.
> > > My steps:

> > >     1. Win 98 (In the first 4 Gb)
> > >     2. Win 2000 (In the next 6 Gb)
> > >     3. RedHat 6.2 (after W2000)
> > >     4. Solaris 8 (at the end)

> > > I use lilo to boot the OS's, but you can use the
> > > W2000 boot.
> > > Be careful with the 8'5 Gb limit with lilo.



> > > > I would like to set up a multi-boot scenario on a single Intel x86 system
> > > > with a 20GB hard drive, with the following operating systems:

> > > > Solaris 8
> > > > Red Hat Linux 6.2
> > > > Windows 2000 Professional
> > > > Windows 98

> > > > Does anyone have any recommendations on what order would be the
> > > > best for the installs, and which boot managers I should (or have to)
> > > > use? How about partitioning? Would FIPS and FDISK suffice for the
> > > > task?

> > > > Thanks in advance.

> > > > SS

> --
> Arun Rao
> Intern,EStar
> Computer Systems
> x80616
> Http://gaia.ecs.csus.edu/~raoa

--
Arun Rao
Intern,EStar
Computer Systems
x80616
Http://gaia.ecs.csus.edu/~raoa
 
 
 

Multi-boot with Solaris 8, Win98, Win 2000 and RedHat Linux 6.2?

Post by Joerg Schilli » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00




Quote:>Here is a solution I think might work.

>First install Windows2000 and then install solaris. Make sure you can
>boot win2k and solaris using the Solaris boot loader. Then install
>linux. =

>But be very careful as redhat's installer will use you solaris partiion
>for swap as they share the same partion id. Start redhat's installer
>with expert mode and use fdisk to change solaris' partion id to say AIX
>or some thing. install lilo on the mbr and point it to boot the solaris
>partition. boot to linux change solaris' partition id back to 0x82.

>There is a FAQ available at solariscentral.com from the x86 link on the
>side.

Make sure that the Real Linux swap is located in a extended partition.

Solaris does not look for Solaris partitions in extended partitions and
Linux should be modified not to look for primary SOlaris partitions.

--



URL:  http://www.fokus.gmd.de/usr/schilling    ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix

 
 
 

1. How to multi-boot win 2000, win ME and Linux

Hi,
I tried to setup RedHat Linux 7.0 booting with windows OS, but it was
failed.
I have a 30GB hard drive. At the begining of the partition, all linux
partitions are
at the end of the hard drive. With that partition, I encountered  a 1024
cylinder
problem. Now the partitions are:
hda1 (FAT32, Windows ME )
hda2 (linux /boot )
hda4 (linux / )
hda5 (FAT32, Windows 2000 Profession)
hda6 (FAT32, Backup)
had7 (linux swap)
(Before I installed Linux, my booting menu has two options: win 2000 and win
ME. Both
work well.)
I followed the instruction below, but it seems not working.....
Can anyone tell me how to boot linux in windows booting mune?
Thanks a lot!!

Zoe

=================================================
    Boot into linux with a boot disk created for the purpose.
In a terminal or console log in as root.
type in :

    dd if=/dev/hdax of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

including spaces

Where hdax is your linux partition (from what you wrote about your
partitioning it will probably be hda3.  This command will copy your boot
sector information from off you linux partition to a file located in the /
directory and name that file bootsect.lnx.  Copy this file to a DOS
formatted floppy with

    mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
    copy /bootsect.lnx /mnt
    umount /mnt

Reboot your machine into Windows 2000 and copy the file bootsect.lnx from
the floppy to your C:\> root directory in Windows.  Then find and edit
boot.ini in Windows 2000 usually also located in the root directory. This is
roughly how the file looks before editing:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version
4.00"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version
4.00 [VGA mode]" /basevideo /sos

Your version will probably refer to Windows 2000 not NT 4.  Add the
following line

    c:\bootsect.lnx="Linux "

Save the file.  When you reboot your machine, in addition to your normal
Windows 2000 boot options you will also have an option of Linux.

2. linux on an overclocked PII

3. Booting Linux from DOS 6.2 Multi-Boot...

4. retrieve backup from tape

5. Dual boot: Windows 2000 & RedHat 6.2

6. Linux 2.0.33 and 3Com 3c509 problems

7. RH6.2, Win2000, Win98 multi-boot results in LI on boot to Linux

8. Newbie re hardware

9. multi-boot Win98 and Corel LINUX - lost boot menu

10. Win98, 2000 and suse 6.2

11. Can I dual boot Red Hat Linux 6.2 and Windows 2000?