Newbie help! Solaris9, ultra5 and LCD moni...

Newbie help! Solaris9, ultra5 and LCD moni...

Post by Riccard » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 06:02:35

Hello, i'd like to use my Ultra 5 with my new LCD 15" monitor (res.

via the serial terminal window...

Can you please help me? I'm not having access to graphics, only serial
terminal...

Thanks,

Rik

Post by Chris Co » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 06:18:24

> Hello, i'd like to use my Ultra 5 with my new LCD 15" monitor (res.

> via the serial terminal window...

> Can you please help me? I'm not having access to graphics, only serial
> terminal...

> Thanks,

> Rik

I think even the Ultra 5 stuff is in the FAQ:
http://www.sunhelp.org/faq/FrameBuffer.html

Newbie help! Solaris9, ultra5 and LCD moni...

Post by KLXride » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 06:33:22

I used the following command to fix mine:
# m64config -res 1024x768x75
# reboot

MRW

> Hello, i'd like to use my Ultra 5 with my new LCD 15" monitor (res.

settings
> via the serial terminal window...

> Can you please help me? I'm not having access to graphics, only serial
> terminal...

> Thanks,

> Rik

Newbie help! Solaris9, ultra5 and LCD moni...

Post by Riccard » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 06:48:18

Quote:

> I think even the Ultra 5 stuff is in the FAQ:
> http://www.sunhelp.org/faq/FrameBuffer.html

Thanks for the FAQ link, but unfortunately they just say something like"on
SUn Ultra 5 you can setup resolution with m64config command"...
I've used this command, and i set up the resolution i wont, that's written
in the proper setup file" /etc/openwin/server/etc/OWconfig"
So i can setup the right resolution via serial terminal but every time i
reboot to see if it works it goes back to the default "1152x900x66", NOT
suppotred by my LCD monitor... I'm going crazy, and i'm not expert in
Solaris OS ...

I don't know how to force the system to use the 1024x768x75 ...

Please help :-(((

Rik

Newbie help! Solaris9, ultra5 and LCD moni...

Post by Riccard » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 07:05:36

Quote:> I used the following command to fix mine:
> # m64config -res 1024x768x75
> # reboot

I've tried right now, nothing happens... I've a dubt : do i have to setup
something in openboot ?
Maybe output and resolutions choosen, or something else...
Or do i have to  use the on board jumper JD1, "composite video
sinchronization"? The LCD monitor seems to be completely unsensible to the
Ultra5... Yesterday i've tested the Ultra 5 on another old, 17", crt
monitor, and everything was good...

Post by Rich Tee » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 07:12:49

> I used the following command to fix mine:
> # m64config -res 1024x768x75
> # reboot

Reboot?!  God heavens, man, this is Solaris, not Windoze.
Logging out is sufficient.

(But what else would you expect from a top posting Outhouse
user?)

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Newbie help! Solaris9, ultra5 and LCD moni...

Post by Riccard » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 07:45:46

Oh, i forgot this info : my monitor model is NEC MultiSync LCD 1550VM,

mode...
With windowZ, Linux and so on (!) on my AMD- based PC no problems at all....

Now i've set up the openboot as suggested, i've used m64config -res
1024x768x75 , but nothing good happens...

Other suggestions are VERY REALLY wellcome...

Rik

Post by Oscar del Ri » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 07:51:12

Quote:> Thanks for the FAQ link, but unfortunately they just say something like"on
> SUn Ultra 5 you can setup resolution with m64config command"...

It also says:
http://www.sunhelp.org/faq/FrameBuffer.html#2a

To set the resolution, run the following command as root:
# eeprom output-device=screen:r1280x1024x76

Newbie help! Solaris9, ultra5 and LCD moni...

Post by Riccard » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 08:12:07

Quote:

> To set the resolution, run the following command as root:
> # eeprom output-device=screen:r1280x1024x76

You're right, but already tested, and it doesn't solve the problem...

The NEC lcd remains in sleep mode... And i remain in paranoia...

Post by Martin Pau » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:48:59

>> To set the resolution, run the following command as root:
>> # eeprom output-device=screen:r1280x1024x76

> You're right, but already tested, and it doesn't solve the problem...

> The NEC lcd remains in sleep mode... And i remain in paranoia...

If you do all those changes via a serial terminal, I assume that
you don't have a keyboard connected to the machine ?

As long as no keyboard is connected, the Ultra 5 will never display
anything on the monitor output. So start from the beginning - undo
all changes you did to the OBP (output-device) and m64config (remove
/etc/openwin/server/etc/OWconfig, stop the machine, turn it off,
unplug the serial connection and plug in keyboard and monitor. The
machine should come up with 1152x900x66 which your display should
support. The Xserver may choose a different resolution (depending
on the communication between frame buffer and monitor, which often
is a problem with non-Sun monitors). If you don't like the default
resolution, change it with m64config (which only applies to the
Xserver's settings). The resolution to be used *before* the Xserver
is running, can be set via output-device in eeprom.

hth, mp.
--
                         Martin Paul | Systems Administrator

       University of Vienna, Austria | http://www.par.univie.ac.at/

Newbie help! Solaris9, ultra5 and LCD moni...

Post by Riccard » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 18:29:12

Quote:

> If you do all those changes via a serial terminal, I assume that
> you don't have a keyboard connected to the machine ?

With keyboard plugged in i cannot work on serial : it became "silent".

Quote:> As long as no keyboard is connected, the Ultra 5 will never display
> anything on the monitor output. So start from the beginning - undo
> all changes you did to the OBP (output-device) and m64config (remove
> /etc/openwin/server/etc/OWconfig, stop the machine, turn it off,
> unplug the serial connection and plug in keyboard and monitor. The
> machine should come up with 1152x900x66 which your display should
> support.

I did this, and the monitor remains black, saying "no signal"... Maybe no
support for this res? SGRUNT!!!

Quote:>The Xserver may choose a different resolution (depending
> on the communication between frame buffer and monitor, which often
> is a problem with non-Sun monitors).

Maybe this is a big problem in my case...

Quote:> If you don't like the default
> resolution, change it with m64config (which only applies to the
> Xserver's settings).

I can't, because of "black screen" and no way to login...

Quote:> The resolution to be used *before* the Xserver
> is running, can be set via output-device in eeprom.

> hth, mp.

Thank you very much anyway !

Post by Michael Jank » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 09:53:28

>>If you do all those changes via a serial terminal, I assume that
>>you don't have a keyboard connected to the machine ?

> With keyboard plugged in i cannot work on serial : it became "silent".

>>As long as no keyboard is connected, the Ultra 5 will never display
>>anything on the monitor output. So start from the beginning - undo
>>all changes you did to the OBP (output-device) and m64config (remove
>>/etc/openwin/server/etc/OWconfig, stop the machine, turn it off,
>>unplug the serial connection and plug in keyboard and monitor. The
>>machine should come up with 1152x900x66 which your display should
>>support.

> I did this, and the monitor remains black, saying "no signal"... Maybe no
> support for this res? SGRUNT!!!

[snip]

Try using a keyboard and an ordinary multi-frequency monitor to boot the
Ultra 5. Set the eeprom and m64config to the values you need for your
LCD. Verify that the resolutions are what you want. Then switch to the
LCD and re-boot with a keyboard attached.

--Mike

Newbie help! Solaris9, ultra5 and LCD moni...

Post by Riccard » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 15:10:21

Quote:> Try using a keyboard and an ordinary multi-frequency monitor to boot the
> Ultra 5. Set the eeprom and m64config to the values you need for your
> LCD. Verify that the resolutions are what you want. Then switch to the
> LCD and re-boot with a keyboard attached.

> --Mike

Ok Mike, i'll try this asap : i don't have any oter monitor here, i've to go
to my brother's house...

Riccardo

1. How to install solaris9 over linux mandrake on an ultra5 box

HI all,

Does anyone know how to load solaris9 (downloaded images burned to
cd.) onto a sun  ultra5 that has linux mandrake installed on it.
This is on a 9.1 Seagate harddrive internal IDE.
I don't have all the information on the drive in order to format it.
Is there another way around this, or a way to get this information
about the drive that the solaris format commands seem to need.

I have another thought, I could pull the drive and then put it into my
PC,
"fdisk /mbr" from a Windows 98/ME floppy.

What I might do after that????, I don't know.

NEXT
At the ok prompt I type boot cdrom
Then go thru the normal screens.
After selecting English "1" to run the Installer
I get a console screen
At the bottom of the console pane it ask's me,
"would you like to re-partition a disk A[y,n,?,q]
I pick "y"
NEXT
a bunch of information about creating a temp slice.
"Do you want to re-partition /dev/dsk/c0t0d0 [y,n,?,q]
I pick "y"
NEXT
Enter a swap slice size between 478MB and 8961MB, default = 512MB [?]
I put in a value of 5000, didn't know what to put here.
NEXT
"Can the swap slice start at the beginning of the disk."
I pick "y"
NEXT
"Disk Slice : /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1
 Size       : 5000MB
 Start Cyl  : 0"
"Is this OK?"
I pick "y"

Now here is the problem, the whole thing just starts all over again,
There is no re-partitioning. I just go back to the beginning screen.
No errors, no messages.
Am I doing something wrong?
Is this a bug?

Please Help.

Thanks ahead of time.

2. polling an interface at 12 KHz

3. Solaris9 on Ultra5

4. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 4 of 6)

5. Ultra5 & Philips LCD monitor

6. ATI ALL IN WONDER PCI RADEON 32MB VIDEO CARD INFORMATION

7. Solaris9 Newbie needs help with ICS

8. SYN Flooding ???

9. Help! X works on Ext Moni

10. Solaris9 vs. Solaris9 9/04

11. Matrox Mystique ands X.

12. Sharing Moni, Mouse, & Kebyboard between Linux & Win95 box

13. X-server is wierd until I switch from LCD->CRT->LCD