newbie looking for dial-up "take control" UNIX software

newbie looking for dial-up "take control" UNIX software

Post by Angus Fami » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 07:55:19

I'm looking for some software that would allow me to dial up and take control of the sun station. I can dial up with hyper-terminal but can not see my network map and do any necessary functions. Something that works like PC-Anywhere but for UNIX instead. I am running Solaris 2.5.1. Also should I be concerned about security with an un-listed outside line?

Thanks for any insight

newbie in SC

newbie looking for dial-up "take control" UNIX software

Post by Rich Tee » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 08:19:57

        [ Part 1, Text/PLAIN  10 lines. ]
        [ Not Shown. Use the "V" command to view or save this part. ]

Please don't post HTML; if you want us to help you, the least
you can do is make it easy for us to read your message.

Quote:> I'm looking for some software that would allow me to dial up and take control of the sun station. I can dial up with hyper-terminal but can not see my network map and do any necessary functions. Something that works like PC-Anywhere but for UNIX instead. I am running Solaris 2.5.1. Also should I be concerned about security with an un-listed outside line?

[ Line wrapping!!!! ]

If you run X on the machine you dial out from, you can display
remote applications.  There's no notion of taking control like
PCanywher in UNIX, thankfully.

As to an unlisted dial up line: yes, you should be very concernced.
What makes you think that computers doing block dial tests use
phone directories in the first place?  ;-)

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 04:03:46

> I'm looking for some software that would allow me to dial up and take
> control of the sun station. I can dial up with hyper-terminal but can not
> see my network map and do any necessary functions. Something that works like
> PC-Anywhere but for UNIX instead. I am running Solaris 2.5.1. Also should I
> be concerned about security with an un-listed outside line?

All HTML-posters must die.

You could set up a login on the serial line connected to the modem. That would
give you a command line interface.

You could set up a PPP server and connect via PPP dialup. Then you can do
remote X sessions over the PPP link. It'll be dirt slow, though.

Yes, you should be very concerned about any outside line. Autodialer programs
are simple to write, don't use phone books, as Rich Teer mentioned. They start
dialing at XYZ-1111 and go digit by digit up through XYZ-9999.

newbie looking for dial-up "take control" UNIX software

Post by Chris Thomps » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 04:50:47

[...]

Quote:

>All HTML-posters must die.

  All HTML-posters are mortal.
  Socrates was mortal.
  Therefore, Socrates was an HTML-poster.

No, I think I haven't got this syllabubble quite right yet...

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk

Post by Rich Tee » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 05:26:06

> All HTML-posters must die.

Let's not be discriminate here: all HTML-emailers must also die.

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

1. Looking for "voice mail"/"answering machine" software

I'd like to find some software that I can run under eithe Linux or
NeXTSTEP to answer the phone and take messages for me. Pretty much
just some kind of "answering machine" software.

At the moment it doesn't need to be any more complex than to answer,
play a message, record a message, and email the recorded message to
me. Don't need any voice mail menu system or anything.

I've been getting people leaving messages on the answering machine in
my office meant for other people in my dept., and it would sure be
easy to get them their messages if I could just forward it to them
over email.

--
Chris Osborn, Network Administrator     Napa Valley College
707 253 3130 - Voice                    2277 Napa-Vallejo Hwy.

2. Why does trying to ftp just sit there?

4. Who had compiled gcc on DECstation 5000/240?

5. CGI "newbie" and change unix password method="POST"

6. Joe Text Editor (configuration file)

8. Problems with system logger (syslogd)

9. "Novell-like","non-TCP/IP","networking" OS to place Unix

10. "shutdown now" takes me to "bash"??

11. "shutdown now" takes me to "bash"

12. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

13. Need to move "unix.old" to "unix"!!!