PC and UNIX networking, when PC has broadband and Sun is standalone

PC and UNIX networking, when PC has broadband and Sun is standalone

Post by nsamb » Mon, 30 Apr 2001 06:30:27

I have a sun Blade1000 and PC windows 95.  There is LAN RJ45(is being used
currently for PC).  Is there a router that I can buy (simple one with least
cost), which I can use to distribute the broadband between PC and SUN.  Also
I can use this to share files between PC and SUN (with the world, thru the
PC).  What the config issues I have resolve with SUN, with out putting
SUN(by itself) in the network.

I solved a similar problem between two PCs using Linksys (this works, by the
way, great).

Thanks for help

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Tue, 01 May 2001 23:24:52

> I have a sun Blade1000 and PC windows 95.  There is LAN RJ45(is being used
> currently for PC).  Is there a router that I can buy (simple one with least
> cost), which I can use to distribute the broadband between PC and SUN.  Also
> I can use this to share files between PC and SUN (with the world, thru the
> PC).  What the config issues I have resolve with SUN, with out putting
> SUN(by itself) in the network.

1. You can purchase a "broadband router" at your local computer store.
2. You can set up the PC with two network interfaces and a NAT software, like
NAT32.
3. You can set up the Sun with two network interfaces and NAT software.
4. You can set up a linux box with IP Masquerading.

Quote:> I solved a similar problem between two PCs using Linksys (this works, by the
> way, great).

Yeah? So why not use a Linksys unit here too? It doesn't care what brand of
computer is connected to it. Network protocols are blind to OS.