Heads up, Oracle and Sun.

Post by Brian Scanl » Sat, 02 Sep 2000 21:52:11

You seen SRDB 23550 on Sunsolve?

Customer production system running Oracle version of 8.1.6 or less will have
the database control file corrupted if the the machine has been running 248
days without a reboot. This will require a rebuild and recovery of the
database.

Problem Solution

The issue is how Oracle interprets the number of "clock ticks" that the
kernel uses to keep track of time since the machine was booted. When the
number of clock ticks reaches (2 ^ 32) + 1, Oracle reads it as a negative
number and the corruption occurs.

The permanent solution is to install Oracle 8.1.7 when it releases.

The temporary workaround is to REBOOT THE SERVER BEFORE IT REACHES 248 DAYS
OF UPTIME.

It's 3 days away from 248 days since y2k - A lot of systems were rebooted
around that time.

--
Columnated ruins domino,
Canvas the town and brush the backdrop.

Heads up, Oracle and Sun.

Post by Martin Hepwort » Sat, 02 Sep 2000 21:59:01

Hi
I thought was a general problem with SOlaris 2.6 without the approprate
patch - 248 days uptime and splat, reboot.

Martin

> You seen SRDB 23550 on Sunsolve?

> Customer production system running Oracle version of 8.1.6 or less will have
> the database control file corrupted if the the machine has been running 248
> days without a reboot. This will require a rebuild and recovery of the
> database.

> Problem Solution

> The issue is how Oracle interprets the number of "clock ticks" that the
> kernel uses to keep track of time since the machine was booted. When the
> number of clock ticks reaches (2 ^ 32) + 1, Oracle reads it as a negative
> number and the corruption occurs.

> The permanent solution is to install Oracle 8.1.7 when it releases.

> The temporary workaround is to REBOOT THE SERVER BEFORE IT REACHES 248 DAYS
> OF UPTIME.

> It's 3 days away from 248 days since y2k - A lot of systems were rebooted
> around that time.

> --
> Columnated ruins domino,
> Canvas the town and brush the backdrop.
> Are you sleeping?

Heads up, Oracle and Sun.

Post by Brian Scanl » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 04:31:35

>Hi
>I thought was a general problem with SOlaris 2.6 without the approprate
>patch - 248 days uptime and splat, reboot.

It is, but the other day was 248 days since y2k - a huge amount of systems
were powered off for y2k, in case the world blew up, remember?

Brian.
--

Post by Tony Walto » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 20:17:48

> Hi
> I thought was a general problem with SOlaris 2.6 without the approprate
> patch - 248 days uptime and splat, reboot.

ITYM "Solaris prior to 2.6".  That bug (4032974) was fixed in 2.6 with
patches available for 2.3, 2.4, 2.5 and 2.5.1

--
Tony

This posting does not constitute official support from Sun Microsystems

Heads up, Oracle and Sun.

Post by Philip Bro » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 03:27:27

>> Hi
>> I thought was a general problem with SOlaris 2.6 without the approprate
>> patch - 248 days uptime and splat, reboot.

>ITYM "Solaris prior to 2.6".  That bug (4032974) was fixed in 2.6 with
>patches available for 2.3, 2.4, 2.5 and 2.5.1

Yes. That means the other kernel routines that accessed the tick counter,
were made aware of the wraparound. It doesnt mean the wraparound doesnt
happen any more.
This is what oracle forgot.

The word of the day is mispergitude

1. managing Sun V490 NAS head with Sun StorEdge 3511 - crash course?

I dug up some Sun documentation about SunFire V440's, StorEdge 3511's, QFS
and SAM-FS, but I'm a little disappointed that the vast majority of the
information showing up in google about these products is almost entirely
from Sun and Sun's resellers.

Does anyone, outside of Sun, have a writeup of these products, with a
quick overview, and the commands you need to know to set them up and
maintain them, targeted at sysadmins?  Also, are problems and solutions
specific to these products discussed somewhere?

(Yes, I'm at least somewhat familiar with Solaris, but only with UFS, no
need for that sort of thing)

Thanks!

2. yp_all: cln_call: RPC: Unable to receive....

3. Oracle on SUN --> Oracle on DEC Aplha + Digital Unix ?

4. Unixware Printing

5. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

6. HELP! Qlogic SCSI controller support

7. ORACLE UPS LINUX EFFORTS WITH ISV PROGRAM

8. crack library??

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

10. Dual Heads (well actually one head, and a VT320)

11. Sun 3/60, dual headed, Xkernel problem

12. Dual headed X - vmware on one head, X11 on the other?

13. Virtual Screen on Multi-headed Sun (Solaris 7)