lp printing to remote printer problem

Post by Dan Hensle » Wed, 01 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I have a printing problem with sol 2.6.  The print jobs are spooled to a
printer 100 miles away from the Sun.  We are using tcp/ip over a 256kp
connection.  The printer is a Lexmark 1855n, networked with a 10bt
card.  The printer works fine with Data General DG/UX and from PCs.  It
also works fine with a local Sun 450.  Part of the time the print jobs
come with no problems but if it is a large job or there are mulitiple
jobs in the q it hangs and will not print.  Today the jobs show in
lpstat and after a few minutes instead of printing they just go away.
These are postscript jobs.

Other times when I have watched everything the job will begin to spool
to the printer and the printer buffer will act as if it is getting the
job and then the job will time-out.  Usually when it tries again it will
finish.

Any ideas?

--
Dan Hensley           "Networks are like children--You can't manage
them

1. Remote printing to remote unix printer problem with cpi= option

I am trying to print from SCO 5.0.4 to a remote printer on a DG/UX platform.
The command on DG to print condensed is to specify -ocpi=17.

When I try under SCO to specify -ocpi=17, I get an error:

UX:lp: ERROR: The following options can't be
         -o cpi=

I beleive this is because the network interface script does not
support -ocpi=17 as an option.

So how can I pass the cpi=17 option to the remote lp daemon?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Batch mailer for smtp?

3. Linux:lpr printing on lp remote printing host

4. running shell script from rc.local

5. HP network printer and LP print Service local printing

6. Sun IPC systems

7. lp problem with remote printers

8. Linux & Monorail

9. UNIX lp remote printing problem

10. remote printer won't print non plain text print jobs.

11. Disable print banners when printing to remote BSD printer

12. Printing to remote laser printers / print filters

13. Configuring print queue using SAM for printing to a remote printer