Force the the hell!

Post by Rome » Mon, 05 Jun 2006 23:32:38

Hi how to force cron to do somehing every 2 minutes? I used */2 * * * *,
as proper (I assume), but it doesnt works.

greets Romek

Force the the hell!

Post by Logan Sha » Tue, 06 Jun 2006 01:41:58

> Hi how to force cron to do somehing every 2 minutes? I used */2 * * * *,
> as proper (I assume), but it doesnt works.

That "*/2" is a non-standard extension to cron that certain versions
have added.  Solaris cron doesn't support that.  Instead, if you really
want every other minute, you'll have to use this:

0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22,24,26,28,30,32,34,36,38,40,42,44,46,48,50,52,54,56,58

A bit of a pain, but I think that at the time cron was written, nobody
thought you'd want to run a job that often.  It would've seemed wasteful
back then.  These days, it's probably not so bad.

   - Logan

Force the the hell!

Post by Cesar » Tue, 06 Jun 2006 06:38:24

Or if is possibile (for example not in critical production sites) install
the GNU crond daemon compiled for Solaris.

Look on http://www.sunfreeware.com

Cesare

> That's Linux's crontab syntax and isn't supported.  Read the man page on
> cron and you'll see the supported values for that field.  I suggest
> multiple crontab entries rather than a single large one.

Force the the hell!

Post by Cydrome Leade » Tue, 06 Jun 2006 09:57:22

>> Hi how to force cron to do somehing every 2 minutes? I used */2 * * * *,
>> as proper (I assume), but it doesnt works.

>> greets Romek

> That's Linux's crontab syntax and isn't supported.  Read the man page on

Quote:> cron and you'll see the supported values for that field.  I suggest

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Wed, 07 Jun 2006 06:50:38

>It's really from vixie cron, which is really quite useful with the

But it likely does not support much of what Solaris expects of cron.

(Such as properly using PAM, etc)

Casper

1. ne2000 from hell..I tell you..from hell

I can't get it to work .. as I'm sure many of you know
it is a ne2000 compatiable..of the CE distinction..wo wo
it says uses the APX turbo <read as full duplex>
I have turned off the PnP mode
it is on irq 15
           I/O 0x280
I have passed the command to the lilo boot ethet=15,0x280,eth0

that doesn't work

I have booted with loadlin .. while passing the ethere ,,bla , bla , bla <&
gas>

that doesn't work

ne2k reports

Checking the ethercard at 0x280.
Register 0x0d (0x28d) is ff
Failed initial NE2000 probe, value ff.
8390 registers: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
SA PROM  0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
SA PROM 0x10: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
Invalid signature found, wordlength 2.

2. S/Key and OpenSSH

3. IRQ Hell! Help!

4. DNS on 2.4 Sparc?

5. How the hell do I use the patch???

6. kerneltrap.org: anybody read it?

7. Why the hell do you use Linux?

8. collection of background images for X?

9. Shot networking capabilities to hell

10. Patch Hell in Solaris 9

11. hell freezes over

12. Qmail, Sendmail Hell

13. VTOC hell: SyQuest drive under SPARC Solaris --- still useless