< who has a support contract with SUN-SOFT for x86 2.1 >

< who has a support contract with SUN-SOFT for x86 2.1 >

Post by Robert Rot » Sat, 07 May 1994 22:00:55

hi,

is there anybody out there who has a support contract with SunSoft
for their x86 solaris product and is willing to report a few bugs
(eg. kernel bugs -> panic) to them and insists on getting it fixed.. ?

then please drop me a line, and i'll send you a buglist..

SunSuft ist simply not willing to fix any bugs, but those that are
reported by contract-people..

i phoned, emailed, faxed with SunSoft... my impression is that they
don't give a damn shit about their (x86) product...

i'll summarize my personal experience with SunSoft(-Support) later..

mfg,
        robert.

--

 Erregt es Euch, einer Frau, die sich beispielsweise beim Sport den Fuss
 verstaucht hat, zu helfen ? Werdet ihr durch den Anblick der Zehen erregt,

< who has a support contract with SUN-SOFT for x86 2.1 >

Post by Bil Lew » Sun, 08 May 1994 09:05:39

Gruss Gott! Robert,

  Go ahead & send 'em past me.  You're correct, service is very insistant
about contracts (for good reasons, even tho it backfires sometimes).  But we
really do want to fix every bug possible.  We know 2.1 came out with some
serious bugs -- we felt it was important to get it out in that time-frame,
even with bugs.

  I cannot assure you that you will get patches for these, but that they
will be fixed.  2.4 will ship (in August?) with a Priority 1, 2, 3 bug count
of ZERO at Beta cutoff.

-Bil

: hi,

: is there anybody out there who has a support contract with SunSoft
: for their x86 solaris product and is willing to report a few bugs
: (eg. kernel bugs -> panic) to them and insists on getting it fixed.. ?

: then please drop me a line, and i'll send you a buglist..

: SunSuft ist simply not willing to fix any bugs, but those that are
: reported by contract-people..

: i phoned, emailed, faxed with SunSoft... my impression is that they
: don't give a damn shit about their (x86) product...

: i'll summarize my personal experience with SunSoft(-Support) later..

: mfg,
:       robert.

< who has a support contract with SUN-SOFT for x86 2.1 >

Post by Richard Pat » Mon, 09 May 1994 21:29:00

Bil  Lewis,

I  was going to be asking the same questions regarding bugs as Robert, so I'll tell you, if that't OK.  Can't say I can remember what they all are, and some are to do with service or developer support, but I'll include them anyway.

1.      I believe that the SMC driver doesn't close the cards memory window when the system is shut down (or 'halt'ed), which then prevents the 'Press any key to reboot' from working.  As the window is still open, you have to press the BWB to get the hardware to close it for you.

2.      This one you know about already, but I'll tell it again because it makes my * boil.  Hardware flow control does not work with the asy driver.  The reason that it makes my * boil is that I spent about two man-weeks over a month investigating fax-modems and ppp options.  The only way I could be guaranteed to get a reliable dial-in/out fax/modem service and dial in/out ppp (ESEENTIAL for my business) was to buy a MultiTech modem (there are actually quite a few that would work, but not available and

Post by Robert Rot » Thu, 12 May 1994 01:44:20

> i phoned, emailed, faxed with SunSoft... my impression is that they
> don't give a damn shit about their (x86) product...

i'm lucky to tell you that i found some nice people at sunsoft i could
find a good agreement with..

no matter i still really disklike there official support policy..

articles move mountains,
        robert.