Help writing SCSI Target Driver

Post by KevinF70 » Tue, 04 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I would like to support a new, custom SCSI device under Solaris 2.4 on a
SUN SPARC20.  Apparently the way to do this is to write a target driver,
like SD or ST.

 Where can I find information on doing this?  Looking through SUN's
documentation, I haven't found adequate information on writing a target
driver.  In particular, there is little information on the low-level SCSI
commands and no information on target drivers in the standard 6' of
documentation.

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.  Especially in
target drivers, but also in accessing the low level SCSI transport
commands.

Kevin Flemming

M/A-COM
Lowell, MA

Post by tro.. » Wed, 05 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:Kevin Flemming writes:
>I would like to support a new, custom SCSI device under Solaris 2.4 on a
>SUN SPARC20.  Apparently the way to do this is to write a target driver,
>like SD or ST.
>Where can I find information on doing this?  Looking through SUN's
>documentation, I haven't found adequate information on writing a target
>driver.  In particular, there is little information on the low-level SCSI
>commands and no information on target drivers in the standard 6' of
>documentation.
>Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.  Especially in
>target drivers, but also in accessing the low level SCSI transport
>commands.

I have developed several Sun SCSI target drivers for custom SCSI devices.
The book I've found absolutely invaluable for information on this topic
is called "Solaris SunOS 5.3 Writing Device Drivers".  It is a "Sunsoft
Press" book and can be obtained from Prentice Hall (ISBN 0-13-107228-5).
The book explains the Sun DDI/DKI interface and includes an extensive
reference section of man pages.  A diskette containing sample code,
utilities, and white papers is also provided.  I bought just this book
for $90.00.  You can also get it as part of a four-book set called "The
Sbus/SCSI Developer's Kit" (ISBN 0-13-107202-1) from SunExpress for around $250.00.

--
+----------------------------------------+------------------------------+

| Open Systems Device Driver Development | voice:  (520) 799-3569       |
| IBM Storage Systems Division           | fax:    (520) 799-4788       |

| Tucson, Arizona  85744                 | IBMtie: 8-321-3569           |
+----------------------------------------+------------------------------+

Post by Arndt Schoenewa » Wed, 05 Apr 1995 04:00:00

: I would like to support a new, custom SCSI device under Solaris 2.4 on a
: SUN SPARC20.  Apparently the way to do this is to write a target driver,
: like SD or ST.

:  Where can I find information on doing this?

Buy the Solaris DDK (Device Driver Development Kit). It contains
comprehensive AnswerBook documentation as well as sample drivers
that you can analyze and modify to match your requirements.

Arndt

Post by Jay Sco » Thu, 06 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>: I would like to support a new, custom SCSI device under Solaris 2.4 on a
>: SUN SPARC20.  Apparently the way to do this is to write a target driver,
>: like SD or ST.

>:  Where can I find information on doing this?

>Buy the Solaris DDK (Device Driver Development Kit). It contains
>comprehensive AnswerBook documentation as well as sample drivers

it's certainly big.  but naturally, not everything is in there.  if you
need to get past 2GB of i/o, you'll probably need the undocumented
D_64BIT (or some such name) turned on in the xxattach routine.  i
floundered for a long time before i accidentally found that.  if i
have the name wrong, you can just grep the /usr/include tree
header files for the pattern 64 or BIT.  (it might be D64_BIT, for
example.)

that's not in the docs i have, or the samples, or ....
j.

Quote:>that you can analyze and modify to match your requirements.

--
Jay Scott               512-835-3553

Applied Research Labs, Computer Science Div.
University of Texas at Austin

1. SCSI Driver that Supports SCSI Target Mode

  A co-worker is looking for a SCSI driver that will support SCSI target
  mode on a Unix transfer the data over a SCSI bus to a host system for
  further processing.  Please specify the board that is required as
  well.  If the driver is in source, it would be ideal.

  Email any replies.  And thanks in advance.

--
The UUCP Mailer

2. sonypi driver update

3. Help needed on SCSI target driver

4. Sendmail

5. writing scsi device scsi adapter drivers under hp-ux

6. filtering files

7. Limiting the SCSI I/O size at sd target driver level

8. I am reinstalling linux

9. driver put scsi bus to target mode

10. SCSI target mode driver to virtual disk

11. SCSI target drivers on Solaris

12. SCSI Target drivers.

13. Concern: Do SCSI Target mode drivers exist for Linux