Seagate Barracuda format problem on SPARC Solaris 7&8

Seagate Barracuda format problem on SPARC Solaris 7&8

Post by Ef » Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:51:07

I have just purchased a Seagate ST336737 36.9Gig disk and have it in an
external SCSI box. My system consists of a SPARCstation LX, an external SCSI
enclosure with 2 9-Gig Seagate ST39173WC's, an external enclosure with a
Quantum Empire 2100, the new external enclosure with the Seagate ST336737WC
and a Plextor 12/20 CD. There are no SCSI conflicts and the entire setup
boots just fine.

The problem is that I cannot get the new Seagate to format under the Solaris
8 format command. I have also tried Solaris 7 with the same result. The
auto-configure fails and so I try to manually set up the disk with the
'other' option of the Solaris format command. The session asks numerous
questions which I reply to as follows:

enter # of data cylinders=29848
enter # alternate cylinders=2
enter # of physical cylinders=29850
enter # of heads=4
enter # of physical heads=4
enter # of data sectors/track=256

The data sectors per track is a real problem for me -- the spec sheets for
the drive from seagate says 'Sectors/Track(avg)' is 768, but I can't enter
this figure or I get ''768' is out of range' returned. The only number I can
get to work is 256, but when I finish the format command, the total hard
drive capacity according to the partition information is only like 14 Gig
and this is a 36-Gig(nearly) drive!

Another problem is that when I do get these numbers in and attempt to
partition the hard drive, I get the following errors:

Warning:error setting drive geometry
Warning:error writing VTOC
Not ready error during read
ASC:0X4    ASCQ:0X0
Warning:error reading backup label (several of this and the preceding line)
Warning:no backup labels
Writing label failed

Is there something in the system's BIOS or NVRAM I need to set to recognize
the larger drives? I didn't have this problem with the 9-Gig Seagates and
they autoconfigured just fine. Or are the numbers I'm plugging in all wrong?
Seagate's documentation for this drive is as follows:

Formatted capacity: 36.954 Gb
Number of disks(physical):2
Number of heads(physical):4
Total cylinders:29850
Total tracks:119400
Bytes per sector: 512
Areal density: 16185 Mbits/square inch
Track Density(TPI): 32197 tracks/inch
Recording density(BPI, max): 502682 bits/inch
Sectors/Track(avg): 768
Bytes/Track(avg): 393216

Any ideas?? Any help appreciated -- thanks all.

Ef

Post by Joerg Schilli » Thu, 22 Mar 2001 15:28:33

>I have just purchased a Seagate ST336737 36.9Gig disk and have it in an
>external SCSI box. My system consists of a SPARCstation LX, an external SCSI
>enclosure with 2 9-Gig Seagate ST39173WC's, an external enclosure with a
>Quantum Empire 2100, the new external enclosure with the Seagate ST336737WC
>and a Plextor 12/20 CD. There are no SCSI conflicts and the entire setup
>boots just fine.

>The problem is that I cannot get the new Seagate to format under the Solaris
>8 format command. I have also tried Solaris 7 with the same result. The
>auto-configure fails and so I try to manually set up the disk with the
>'other' option of the Solaris format command. The session asks numerous
>questions which I reply to as follows:

>enter # of data cylinders=29848
>enter # alternate cylinders=2
>enter # of physical cylinders=29850
>enter # of heads=4
>enter # of physical heads=4
>enter # of data sectors/track=256

Did you try sformat?

        ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/sformat/

--

Seagate Barracuda format problem on SPARC Solaris 7&8

Post by Ef » Fri, 23 Mar 2001 04:23:20

I fixed my problem. I set jumpers on the hard drive to disable parity and
enable motor start(the drive not ready errors in things I was trying to do
clued me into this). Once that was done, my drive automatically appeared and
was just fine when I issued the Solaris format command.

Thanks for the reply!

> >I have just purchased a Seagate ST336737 36.9Gig disk and have it in an
> >external SCSI box. My system consists of a SPARCstation LX, an external
SCSI
> >enclosure with 2 9-Gig Seagate ST39173WC's, an external enclosure with a
> >Quantum Empire 2100, the new external enclosure with the Seagate
ST336737WC
> >and a Plextor 12/20 CD. There are no SCSI conflicts and the entire setup
> >boots just fine.

> >The problem is that I cannot get the new Seagate to format under the
Solaris
> >8 format command. I have also tried Solaris 7 with the same result. The
> >auto-configure fails and so I try to manually set up the disk with the
> >'other' option of the Solaris format command. The session asks numerous
> >questions which I reply to as follows:

> >enter # of data cylinders=29848
> >enter # alternate cylinders=2
> >enter # of physical cylinders=29850
> >enter # of heads=4
> >enter # of physical heads=4
> >enter # of data sectors/track=256

> Did you try sformat?

> ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/sformat/

> --

Berlin

ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix

1. 1 * XRxjARZMn-[HELP] Problem in formatting Seagate 50GB hard driv e (Barracuda 50: ST150176LC)

Hi there,

Could someone help me to correctly format Seagate 50GB hard drive
(Barracuda)?

I have a difficulty in formatting Seagate 50GB hard drive (ST150176LC)
connected
to our SUN SPARC-IIi running on Solaris 2.6 through UltraWideSCSI.
I posted similar question yesterday, but let me ask it in more specific
way. I ran "format" command on an external 50GB drive that I want to
format
and also on another external 50GB drive which had been pre-formatted
correctly.

On the first disk, when I tried to set "number of data sectors/track"
to 369 which is specified by its specification, I got
"`369' is out of range" message, and I can't go further.

On the second disk, I got correct parameters from "format" like:

It is a mystery that "`369' is out of range" on the first disk, whereas
it
is okay on the second one.

Any suggestion or insight would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Hiro Masuda

2. Cannot Telnet to SUN OS 5.6

3. Problem in formatting Seagate 50GB hard drive (Barracuda 50: ST150176LC)

4. 2.5.11 software raid,reiserfs & scsi

5. SS4 & Seagate Barracuda ST15150N

6. Is there a way to see a DOS partition from Solaris 2.6x86

7. Seagate Barracuda Problems

8. Permissions - Ques.

9. Boot problems with Seagate Barracuda and Adaptec 2940

10. problems with Seagate Barracuda 9G drives? (MTI JBOD)

11. Seagate Barracuda Problems

12. Installation Problems with Seagate Barracuda 9gig

13. Problem formatting (Adaptec 1542B & Seagate ST11200N) SCSI drive