Scheduled UFSDUMPs through CRON

Post by Mumit Kh » Sun, 02 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>Does anyone know how to run UFSDUMP through the CRON facility?  I would
>like to be able to dump all of our file systems to a 5Gbyte internal
>tape backup drive on a Sun SparcStation10 running Solaris 2.3.  Will I
>have to write a script to bring the system down into single-user mode,
>run the UFSDUMP command, and bring it back up in a multi-user state?
>Is there anything I'm forgetting for this scenario?  Is there an easier
>way of backing up each file system in its entirety (cpio,tar,etc.)?

If you have a few machines/FSs you have to dump, take a look at Amanda
from Univ of Maryland. We just switched from another package to dump our
13GB on line spread over 3 different servers (and as many platforms) and
have been very happy with it. FOr more info, check out amanda archive at:

    ftp://ftp.cs.umd.edu/pub/amanda

there is also a very active and helpful mailing list. The README file has
more info.

http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/

Post by Alan Hann » Sun, 02 Apr 1995 04:00:00

: Does anyone know how to run UFSDUMP through the CRON facility?  I would
: like to be able to dump all of our file systems to a 5Gbyte internal
: tape backup drive on a Sun SparcStation10 running Solaris 2.3.  Will I
: have to write a script to bring the system down into single-user mode,
: run the UFSDUMP command, and bring it back up in a multi-user state?
: Is there anything I'm forgetting for this scenario?  Is there an easier
: way of backing up each file system in its entirety (cpio,tar,etc.)?

  I've never understood why one should take the system down to a single
user mode. While I do see that it prevents files from being changed, that is
a benefit given the inconvenience to the admin and the users.  I can see
how it would be applicable in some situations, but globally?

--

Alan Hannan                         (402) 472-0241         MIDnet Inc.
------------------------------\ fax (402) 472-0240   A Global Internet Company

1. ufsdump thru a firewall

I have a DLT tape drive attached to a E250 in the LAN. And across the
firewall, in the DMZ, there are two machines (ultra5) without SCSI
ports.
To back these machines up, I have two(or more?) options:

(1) put another machine with SCSI port in the DMZ with the two ultra5's.
Attach a local tapedrive in this machine and do backup.

(2) Backup the ultra5's in DMZ in the tape-drive behind the firewall.
Basically, on the DMZ machines, I want to run

%ufsdump 0cfu lanmachine:/dev/rmt/0 /

where lanmachine is the machine where tape-drive is connected.

For (2), what should be the firewall settings to permit this? If I
understand correctly, rmt(1M) is the underlying mechanism for
ufsdump/restore. If true, then what are the firewall settings for rmt?

-Ani

2. Network Prinitng

3. pipe ufsdump thru pgp to tape

4. LILO and Windows NT

5. Copy file from Solaris to NT thru cron?

6. rsh, xon, xrsh, xterm -e ... ?

7. Problems scheduling pppd using cron

8. Any support for DTC3270 SCSI?

9. Q: schedule cron for every other weeks ?

10. how to schedule cron jobs?

11. Scheduling programs & cron

12. Schedule cron jobs

13. cron job scheduling