network traffic monitoring without kstat

network traffic monitoring without kstat

Post by as.. » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00



Is there a way to monitor network traffic without using kstat?  I don't
have root access so I can't install SymbEl.  Also, I don't have
permission to run netstat, so I can't get packet information.  I want to
be able to get this info through line code.  Thanks.

- Alex

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

network traffic monitoring without kstat

Post by Edmund F Young II » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00


There is always "snoop", but you may need root access for that
also, not sure.

--
_______________________
Edmund F Young III
Enterprise Computing Solutions
Technical Consultant
Cell: 714.345.7331
http://www.ecomputingsolutions.com
_______________________


> Is there a way to monitor network traffic without using kstat?  I don't
> have root access so I can't install SymbEl.  Also, I don't have
> permission to run netstat, so I can't get packet information.  I want to
> be able to get this info through line code.  Thanks.

> - Alex

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.


 
 
 

network traffic monitoring without kstat

Post by Write tom » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00


test

> Is there a way to monitor network traffic without using kstat?  I don't
> have root access so I can't install SymbEl.  Also, I don't have
> permission to run netstat, so I can't get packet information.  I want to
> be able to get this info through line code.  Thanks.

> - Alex

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

 
 
 

network traffic monitoring without kstat

Post by as.. » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00


I don't have root access.  I don't have permissions to use 'snoop.'
Is there another way?  Thanks.

- Alex



> There is always "snoop", but you may need root access for that
> also, not sure.

> --
> _______________________
> Edmund F Young III
> Enterprise Computing Solutions
> Technical Consultant
> Cell: 714.345.7331
> http://www.ecomputingsolutions.com
> _______________________



Quote:> > Is there a way to monitor network traffic without using kstat?  I
don't
> > have root access so I can't install SymbEl.  Also, I don't have
> > permission to run netstat, so I can't get packet information.  I
want to
> > be able to get this info through line code.  Thanks.

> > - Alex

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
 
 
 

network traffic monitoring without kstat

Post by as.. » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00


How would I use test to monitor network traffic?  I looked at the man
pages and couldn't see how.  Thanks.

- Alex



> test


> > Is there a way to monitor network traffic without using kstat?  I
don't
> > have root access so I can't install SymbEl.  Also, I don't have
> > permission to run netstat, so I can't get packet information.  I
want to
> > be able to get this info through line code.  Thanks.

> > - Alex

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
 
 
 

network traffic monitoring without kstat

Post by ravi.redd » Wed, 05 Jul 2000 04:00:00


Alex,

You need tcpdump or snoop but both require sudo access.

You can have a look at RFC for network debugging tools.

http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/htbin/rfc/rfc1207.html

regards,
Ravi.


> Is there a way to monitor network traffic without using kstat?  I don't
> have root access so I can't install SymbEl.  Also, I don't have
> permission to run netstat, so I can't get packet information.  I want to
> be able to get this info through line code.  Thanks.

> - Alex

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

 
 
 

network traffic monitoring without kstat

Post by Sietse Viss » Wed, 05 Jul 2000 04:00:00



>Is there a way to monitor network traffic without using kstat?  I don't
>have root access so I can't install SymbEl.  Also, I don't have
>permission to run netstat, so I can't get packet information.  I want to
>be able to get this info through line code.  Thanks.

Why doesn't netstat work for you? netstat -i or netstat -k should give
you the information.

Sietse
--
 ===================================================
 Sietse Visser

 Looking for a web-based graphical performance tool?

 http://www.sysman.nl/perfgraph
 ===================================================

 
 
 

network traffic monitoring without kstat

Post by as.. » Thu, 06 Jul 2000 04:00:00


The system admin disabled netstat for users.  It seems like any good
utilities for monitoring network traffic at a low level (not app-based)
require root access, or have been disabled.  I wanted to use the RPC
library, but that wasn't available to me either.

- Alex





> >Is there a way to monitor network traffic without using kstat?  I
don't
> >have root access so I can't install SymbEl.  Also, I don't have
> >permission to run netstat, so I can't get packet information.  I want
to
> >be able to get this info through line code.  Thanks.

> Why doesn't netstat work for you? netstat -i or netstat -k should give
> you the information.

> Sietse
> --
>  ===================================================
>  Sietse Visser

>  Looking for a web-based graphical performance tool?

>  http://www.sysman.nl/perfgraph
>  ===================================================

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.