root password forget

Post by Shakt » Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:18:51

Dears,

I am using Sun Enterprises E250 Server.

I forget my root password. But the the same time .

Before i change the password, i have the backup copy of

passwd and shadow files (through ufsdump commmand) on

Tap drive. But now i restart the server .

Once i shall try to go single user mode to restore the above file

it asks the root password..

How will be i restore my old passwd and shadow files ?

Any give any good ideas or steps please ?

Regards
Shakthi
Chettinad cements

root password forget

Post by Bigdaki » Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:46:22

>Subject: root password forget

>Date: 11/17/03 10:18 PM Hawaiian Standard Time

>Dears,

>I am using Sun Enterprises E250 Server.

>I forget my root password. But the the same time .

>Before i change the password, i have the backup copy of

>passwd and shadow files (through ufsdump commmand) on

>Tap drive. But now i restart the server .

>Once i shall try to go single user mode to restore the above file

>it asks the root password..

>How will be i restore my old passwd and shadow files ?

>Any give any good ideas or steps please

Hopefully you still have the installation CD's. That will make things much,
much easier.

Get to the OK prompt and place the Solaris software 1 of 2 disc into the CDROM.

THen boot -s cdrom.

This will boot the operating system from the CD-ROM.

You can then make a directory /a

Then you can mount the "/" partition of your system:

mount -o rw /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0  /a

(I assume / correspsonds to /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 on your system)

You can then edit your passwd file:

vi   /a/etc/passwd

and then delete the encrypted password.

Eject your cdrom and reboot.

Login as root and change the password immediately.

Stuart
Dr. Stuart A. Weinstein
Ewa Beach Institute of Tectonics
"To err is human, but to really foul things up
requires a creationist"

root password forget

Post by Jim Cochran » Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:50:41

> Dears,

> I am using Sun Enterprises E250 Server.

> I forget my root password. But the the same time .

> Before i change the password, i have the backup copy of

> passwd and shadow files (through ufsdump commmand) on

> Tap drive. But now i restart the server .

> Once i shall try to go single user mode to restore the above file

> it asks the root password..

> How will be i restore my old passwd and shadow files ?

> Any give any good ideas or steps please ?

Do you have a boot (installation) CD or another way to boot other than off
of the hard drive?  If so, that's what you need.  If not, you may be out of
luck.  (Once you boot, you need to mount your regular file systems such
that you can manipulate them - e.g.:
mount /dev/c0t0d0s0 /mnt; cd /mnt/etc; ....)

Quote:

--

[When responding by email, include the term non-spam in the subject line to
get through my spam filter.]

root password forget

Post by Carl Holtj » Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:37:38

If you have/know the following, things might be good:

1) Have the install CD
2) Have a non-root user for which you know the password and can log in..

If so, then boot off the CD, and use some fancy sed-ding and piping to
replace the root password with your users' password in the shadow file...

Booting off the CD will *not* ask you for a password...

I've replaced the root shell this way, and the shadow file is just
another file, so this should work as well...

Hope it helps..

Carl

--

"There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those that don't."

$>whoami: Carl Holtje

$>cu: http://www.cs.rit.edu/~cwh0803
$>whois holtje: