1. Solaris x86 2.1 install succeeds but 2.4 fails
Solaris 2.1 installs fine on this hardware. But when using exactly the same
BIOS, chipset, and jumper settings, Solaris 2.4 installation fails.
SOYO SY-025J2 VLB motherboard, with SIS chipset (85C407 and 85C471).
1 72-pin SIMM of 16MB
ADAPTEC 1542B (port 330h, DMA channel 6, DMA speed 5MB/s, interrupt 11,
BIOS enabled, synchronous negotiation disabled,
SCSI terminators removed)
DISK : seagate ST31200N (1GB, scsi address 0, terminator enabled)
CDROM : external SUN drive model 411 (scsi address 6, external terminator)
I tried with various settings (L2 cache OFF/WRITE TROUGH/WRITE BACK, extra wait
states for L2 cache and for main memory, CPU clock 33MHZ/8MHZ).
All BIOS shadowing and green features are set OFF.
Memory and system board are successfully tested with 'checkit', and
the 1542 BIOS DMA-test reports no errors.
I get the following symptoms when installing Solaris 2.4:
After the SunOs Copyright message, the Solaris 2.4 installation gives a
'WARNING: clock gained ...' message.
About 14 seconds later, messages appear on the screen.
The ones that aren't immediately scrolled off are:
transport completed with incomplete
SCSI transport failed: reason 'incomplete': retrying command
.. previous 4 lines repeated 3 times
SCSI transport failed: reason 'incomplete': giving up
The CDROM light goes off, but the '\' character keeps tumbling in
the lower left corner of the screen.
Any hints to resolve this would be appreciated.
2. Can IPTABLES redirect to lo ?
3. Wanted: Beta Testers for X11R5 under Solaris 2.1 for x86
4. How many Redirects/Aliases in Apache 1.2.4?
5. CDE 1.0.2 BETA problem on x86 solaris 2.4
6. Tripwire-like function in OBSD?
7. Upgrade price: x86 2.1 -> 2.4?
8. Migrating from Netscape Server to Apache
9. Update X86 2.1 to 2.4?
10. upgrading x86 2.1 -> 2.4
11. XFree86 2.1 for solaris x86 2.1
12. elm 2.4 config.sh for Solaris 2.1 wanted
13. zip 2.1 with encryption under solaris 2.4