printing postscript with pcnfspro

Post by sp.. » Sat, 24 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to print to a HP Deskjet 1200c/ps postscript printer, that hangs off a Sparc10 workstation (solaris2.3), from a PC running pcnfspro1.1. The output is raw postscript when using the latest and greatest printer driver that HP recommended (Adobe 3.0.1). Printing from the workstation works fine as well as printing with a direct connection from a pc.

Any suggestions or comments would be extremely helpful!
Thanks in advance...

Tom Spors

Post by Darrel Hankers » Sun, 25 Feb 1996 04:00:00

   I am trying to print to a HP Deskjet 1200c/ps postscript printer,
   that hangs off a Sparc10 workstation (solaris2.3), from a PC running
   pcnfspro1.1. The output is raw postscript when using the latest and
   greatest printer driver that HP recommended (Adobe 3.0.1). Printing
   from the workstation works fine as well as printing with a direct
   connection from a pc.

I'll make a wild guess based on this limited information.  Since this
is pcnfspro, I'll assume that you use a printer driver under MS-Win.
Set the driver for "compatible" postscript (or some such thing--it has
been some time since I did this).  In my limited testing, this was
necessary in our pcnfspro-to-Solaris-to-hp4m+ arrangement.

--

Post by Brandon S. Allbery KF8 » Sun, 25 Feb 1996 04:00:00

+-----

|    I am trying to print to a HP Deskjet 1200c/ps postscript printer,
|    that hangs off a Sparc10 workstation (solaris2.3), from a PC running
|    pcnfspro1.1. The output is raw postscript when using the latest and
|    greatest printer driver that HP recommended (Adobe 3.0.1). Printing
|    from the workstation works fine as well as printing with a direct
|    connection from a pc.
+--->8

MS-Windows faithfully obeys MS-Lossage tradition and *begins* print jobs with
an EOJ (formfeed for ASCII, control-D for PostScript) instead of *ending*
them properly like everyone else in the universe.

lp determines whether a PS printer needs ASCII-to-PS conversion by looking at
the beginning of a print job.  It must start with "%!" or it will be fed to
an ASCII-to-PostScript converter.  But an MS-Windows print job starts with
"\x04%!"...

I use a custom printer interface to cope with this, and define the printer
to take either "both PS and ASCII" or "any".
--

printing postscript with pcnfspro

Post by Darrel Hankers » Mon, 26 Feb 1996 04:00:00

However, none of the words quoted belong to me.

   MS-Windows faithfully obeys MS-Lossage tradition and *begins* print jobs
   with an EOJ (formfeed for ASCII, control-D for PostScript) instead of
   *ending* them properly like everyone else in the universe.

If this is the only problem, then others have said that there is an ini
setting to disable Ctrl-D.  This was not the problem in our case, and
setting "portable ps" (or some such thing--it was some time ago) in
the MS-Win configuration for the hplj4m+ (driver was delivered with the
4m+) solved our problem.

--

1. pcnfspro printing?

Hi,

When printing from PCNFS Pro to a BSD lpd system I can't
seem to persuade the PC from sending the banner page
commands. Does anyone know how to disable this?

        Cheers, Cos.

Cosmos Nicolaou

                                               Old Music School,
                                               Downing Place,
tel:    +44 1223 566 300                       Cambridge,
mobile: +44  850 216 152                       United Kingdom CB2 3EL
fax:    +44 1223 566 301

---

2. DIP upgrade (sorry! :-)

3. PCNFSpro under Win95 - Can't print to network printers

4. 1.3.45 kernel memory usage

5. PRINTING POSTSCRIPT TO NON-POSTSCRIPT PRINTER - help...

6. Editing the console file

7. print postscript file to non-postscript printer

8. [Lotsa queries....pls help]

9. Printing Postscript files on a NON-postscript printer

10. RedHat 7.2, KDE printing postscript on non-postscript printers

11. Printing postscript on non-postscript printers

12. Postscript printing and Postscript control

13. HELP: Print PostScript file on Non-PostScript-Printer