Expanding user's home by automount+NIS

Post by Lorenzo Must » Wed, 27 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hello. I am trying to expand a user's home directory by adding an
automount entry point to
its home but it seems it doesn't work. Here it follows an excerpt of
what I have putted in the
auto_home file for such a user the following entry:

biguser      /          -rw,bg,soft     server1:/export/home/biguser   \

                  /work   -rw,bg,soft     server2:/export/work/biguser

after that change in the auto_home file I've sent the NIS table
throughout the local NIS domain
but I am not able to do a

    cd /home/biguser/work

can anybody tell me if all that makes sense ?

Thankyou in advance, Lorenzo.

Expanding user's home by automount+NIS

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 27 Sep 2000 04:00:00

>Hello. I am trying to expand a user's home directory by adding an
>automount entry point to
>its home but it seems it doesn't work. Here it follows an excerpt of
>what I have putted in the
>auto_home file for such a user the following entry:
>biguser      /          -rw,bg,soft     server1:/export/home/biguser   \
>                  /work   -rw,bg,soft     server2:/export/work/biguser

Do not use soft mounts, especially not for read/write mounted filesystems.

Your users will hate you for it.

Quote:>after that change in the auto_home file I've sent the NIS table
>throughout the local NIS domain
>but I am not able to do a
>    cd /home/biguser/work
>can anybody tell me if all that makes sense ?

You may need to run the "automount" command; if  the directory was
mounted it will have cached the old entry.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

1. RFH: SunOS NIS users can't "automount" their home directory from NIS+ Server

Thanks to all wjho are taking the time to read this.  The response to
my previous post was outstanding and very successful.

When my users log in to a SunOS box we've got for legacy code
compilation they are able to successfully log in, but they get a "No
Home directory, logging in at /" message.  If I create a directory
called /home/username then they can log in and get sent to that
directory, but its not automounting their directory from the NIS+
server (Running in NIS compatability mode).  The directory that their
user account comes from IS NFS mounted, and they can CD to it, but I
need them to be able to log in  to this direcotry so they can get and
run their .profile file and will know where they are when they start
out.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to make this work?

Thanks,
Sam Posten

2. Upgrade broke printing and sound

3. NIS users home dir automount problems

4. Tell us what you think...

5. So, linux can't automount home directories using autofs and NIS

6. Q: Monitor Settings for a 17" Gateway Vivitron

7. Automount: can't I see user home dirs ?

8. news reader for X

9. automount reading sun's automount file or NIS map

10. NIS+ user management [Was: Re: root changing a user's password (NIS)]

11. What should be the NIS user's home directory?

12. NIS client has users but doesn't create their home dirs

13. Moving User's Home Directory to a New server using Solstice and Nis+