Cde/Console Login error

Cde/Console Login error

Post by DBPW » Thu, 02 Feb 2006 09:19:42



We have a console (console server?) at the end of each row that
provides a common console to a number of Solaris servers. You select
the machine you want from a list hit enter and the console prompts you
with a cde login to the server you have specified.

By problem is with one Solaris server (Solaris 9), when I pick it and
hit enter I don't get a cde login  - all I get is a blank/black screen.
And yes, I did move the mouse afterwards.

I can get on the system through its rsc/alom connection and over the
ethernet network just fine. I restarted dtlogin but it did not help.

Is there anything else I can try. Any others processes to check?
Perhaps I have a bad console cable.

I'm not sure if the following are related.
While I'm logged in through the alom/rsc I keep getting this error:
INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors.
id:  h1 "/etc/init.d/init.cssd run >/dev/null 2>&1 </dev/null"

Also noticed this is /var/adm/messages:
Jan 31 17:16:22 gscsun rmclomv: [ID 948834 kern.error] Failed to send
email alert for recent event.

/var/dt/Xerrors did'nt have anything in it except during the time I
restarted dtlogin.

Thanks guru dudes.

 
 
 

Cde/Console Login error

Post by DBPW » Fri, 03 Feb 2006 04:48:45


bump

 
 
 

Cde/Console Login error

Post by DBPW » Fri, 03 Feb 2006 06:23:23


Oh guru strangers...whilst though not helpeth me in my most desperate
hour?
 
 
 

Cde/Console Login error

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Sat, 04 Feb 2006 02:05:21



|Oh guru strangers...whilst though not helpeth me in my most desperate
|hour?

Because you have hit a problem none of us recognize and we have nothing
useful to say to you.

--

  http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/ *  http://people.freedesktop.org/~alanc/
   http://del.icio.us/alanc/  *  http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~alanc/
  Working for, but definitely not speaking for, Sun Microsystems, Inc.

 
 
 

Cde/Console Login error

Post by DBPW » Sat, 04 Feb 2006 02:41:34


Thanks, I was afraid I had somehow offended the gracious intellectuals
that might help me become enlightened to the mysteries of all things
UNIX.
 
 
 

Cde/Console Login error

Post by Darren Dunha » Sat, 04 Feb 2006 03:04:09



> We have a console (console server?) at the end of each row that
> provides a common console to a number of Solaris servers. You select
> the machine you want from a list hit enter and the console prompts you
> with a cde login to the server you have specified.
> By problem is with one Solaris server (Solaris 9), when I pick it and
> hit enter I don't get a cde login  - all I get is a blank/black screen.
> And yes, I did move the mouse afterwards.

Did this machine boot with a keyboard attached (or does the kvm box work
properly with Sun machines?)

If not, it won't have a display active.

Quote:> I can get on the system through its rsc/alom connection and over the
> ethernet network just fine. I restarted dtlogin but it did not help.

You have a console connection not through the screen?  Do your other Sun
machines do this?  You can run the X display separate from the console
login, but most folks don't do that.

Quote:> I'm not sure if the following are related.
> While I'm logged in through the alom/rsc I keep getting this error:
> INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors.
> id:  h1 "/etc/init.d/init.cssd run >/dev/null 2>&1 </dev/null"

I don't recognize that as a standard Solaris tool.  Perhaps it's a local
program?  I don't see why it would be related to your issue.

Quote:> Also noticed this is /var/adm/messages:
> Jan 31 17:16:22 gscsun rmclomv: [ID 948834 kern.error] Failed to send
> email alert for recent event.
> /var/dt/Xerrors did'nt have anything in it except during the time I
> restarted dtlogin.  

What errors did you get then?

--

Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/
Got some Dr Pepper?                           San Francisco, CA bay area
         < This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >

 
 
 

1. (Solaris 2.5 x86) CDE and text console login problems- please help.

Hello,
 Sometimes on my server (Solaris 2.5 x86, CDE 1.0.2), I get the
keyboard messed up. I suspect a conflict between the ttymon console
login and CDE. Sometimes I get 'login:' prompt in my xterm windows...
Has anyone encountered something similar? When one is running CDE,
does there need to be some ttymon entries in /etc/inittab ? What
exactly ? Thank you in advance,

--- A.Iakovlev

2. socket leak on alpha.

3. HELP: How to display an X console window on the CDE login screen ?

4. making a login loging script

5. users cannot login from console using CDE

6. Apache will not build with PHP...

7. Lost CDE login on console

8. SPARC assembly language?

9. Not able to login from CDE console as root account

10. CDE console logins break with more then about 60 logical interfaces

11. launching CDE from console login session?

12. console login with CDE?

13. /dev/console: cannot create error under cde