How to know how much more time is left for password to expire ?

How to know how much more time is left for password to expire ?

Post by Dextho » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 05:43:58

Silly question:

Is there a command that I can run that can tell me as a unix user how
many more do I have before my password expires ?

TIA
-Dexthor.

Post by Stu » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 06:33:10

> Silly question:

> Is there a command that I can run that can tell me as a unix user how
> many more do I have before my password expires ?

> TIA
> -Dexthor.

Not that I know of, but if the sysadmin has setup password ageing
correctly you'll be warned that it's approaching, time is specified by
WARNWEEKS in /etc/default/passwd.

Post by Dextho » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 06:45:59

> > Silly question:

> > Is there a command that I can run that can tell me as a unix user how
> > many more do I have before my password expires ?

> > TIA
> > -Dexthor.

> Not that I know of, but if the sysadmin has setup password ageing
> correctly you'll be warned that it's approaching, time is specified by
> WARNWEEKS in /etc/default/passwd.

I am in an unfortunate situation wherein there are quite a few boxes
that I have accounts on and the passwords expire on them at various
times. If I typo, I have to pick a password that is totally unique from
what is in history. It becomes crazy after few months and I hate to
keep my passwords in a text file or somewhere.

My plan is to have something in my profile that would check when the
password wud expire, set it something based on some alogrithm (private
to me). I would never use my password directly, but would use PublicKey
authentication to login to boxes. If the password expires, ssh login
would prompt for old password, which I want to avoid.

-Dexthor.

Post by Dextho » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 02:54:54

> > > Not that I know of, but if the sysadmin has setup password ageing
> > > correctly you'll be warned that it's approaching, time is specified by
> > > WARNWEEKS in /etc/default/passwd.

> > I am in an unfortunate situation wherein there are quite a few boxes
> > that I have accounts on and the passwords expire on them at various
> > times. If I typo, I have to pick a password that is totally unique from
> > what is in history. It becomes crazy after few months and I hate to
> > keep my passwords in a text file or somewhere.

> > My plan is to have something in my profile that would check when the
> > password wud expire, set it something based on some alogrithm (private
> > to me). I would never use my password directly, but would use PublicKey
> > authentication to login to boxes. If the password expires, ssh login
> > would prompt for old password, which I want to avoid.

> > -Dexthor.

> root on Solaris has

> passwd -s

> which the man page says will show you

> name status mm/dd/yy min max warn

> But normal users don't have access to this information since it's in
> /etc/shadow which is read-protected.  Unless you have a SUID program
> that can read /etc/shadow and do the decoding, you're probably SOL.

> --
> DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

I've noticed that too. passwd -s only works for Root user. How does the
WarnMsg: "Notice: your password will expire in nn days" show up on
login ? May be I can trap this warning in my SSH logins and use it as a
hint lol.

Thanks anyway.
-Dexthor.

Post by Dextho » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 06:01:20

> login is a SUID program.  It reads /etc/shadow and provides the message.
> I'd heard the OpenSSH won't display this message or make entries into
> /var/utmp.  Maybe the Sun-provided SSH does this.  It's been a while
> since I've worked on a Sun box.

> --
> DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

Sun's SSH is showing the password expiration warning msg, just like
Telnet does, in my case.

Now I think of it, if there are unsuccessful past logins, an additional
msg is displayed. I think its the pam module that we are using that's
doing it.

-Dexthor.

1. Time expiring passwords

How can I make password be time-expiring ?

Giuseppe Bottasini                                 |--------._______
CESI Centro Elettrotecnico Sperimentale Italiano   |]       |      /
Via Rubattino 54, 20154 Milano ITALIA              |]       |     (
fax: +39 2 2125440                                 |--------:______\

The opinions here expressed are mine, not CESI's   |  FLAGS ? E-mail me !

2. ddd and solaris7 x86 - help needed

3. Would like to know no of times I am being fingered..

4. A solution to PPP probs!!

5. I am a Linux Know Nothing, would like to know

6. ? question about NFS mount points

7. Left vs. Ctl-Left vs. Alt-Left

8. expire a password on certain date

9. /bin/login and expired passwords

10. expiring password with npasswd

11. How could be expired my all passwords?

12. password expired