CDROM on Sparcstation 5 using 2.4

Post by E M Richar » Sun, 16 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to figure out what's wrong with my CD.

WHen I say "reboot", I mean I shut down the machine using shutdown
and reboot using reboot -r, which is supposed to reconfigure the
operating system to see the CD drive.

All I want to do is "mount -F hsfs -o ro /dev/sr0 /cdrom"

/cdrom exists. Sometimes /dev/sr0 exists. When they exist, mount
tells me (I wish I had the actual error message, but it goes
something to the effect of - ) /dev/sr0 or /cdrom are already
mounted or there are too many mount points. Like hell. I think
when its down without any NFS mounts, its not going to have too
many mount points. I tried mounting onto /mnt and get the same
message.

I have rebooted 23 times. I have booted it with the cable and terminator
in every possible combination. I have checked the scsi ID (6). I have
restarted vold. I swapped in an HP CD drive (bad idea - esp: data
overflow!).

I tried booting off SOlaris 1.1.1b system CD and Solaris 2.4 Hardware.
The light flashes, but it does not boot off the CD.
(I used "boot cdrom" at the ok prompt.)

Should I kiss this drive off or am I doing something outrageously
stupid?

Email please to save bandwidth. I'm getting a migrane as it is.

ER
Having had the displeasure of associating with chickens in my youth, I would
tend to class them as mobile and deeply malevolent vegetables. -M.Young

1. Using Windows to set up a Dumb Terminal on a SparcStation running Solaris 2.4

Hi there,
I'm trying to set up a dumb terminal on a solaris 2.4 sparc station.
What I've done is, using admintool, is to set up ttya as a 'hard-wired'
terminal.  Then on the windows side I've tried to use the windows progrem called
'Terminal'.

Nothing happened !!

Has anyone ever done something like this?
Can the Terminal program do what I want it to do?

Thanks in advance
john

2. ufsdump slow on Solaris-2.6?

3. compiling ircd under Solaris 2.4 (SPARCStation 5)

4. DNS QUESTION

5. Common User Sparcstation Reboot under Solaris 2.4

6. Gnome - eesh

7. CD player for Solaris 2.4 SparcStation

8. Alpha CPU speed setting, HOW?

9. 2.4.X kernels on SparcStation 5

10. Size of X Server on SPARCstation 4, Solaris 2.4

11. DOOM for Solaris 2.4 (Sun Sparcstation) Available

12. Sol 2.4 <---> Sol 2.4 using serial link ?

13. Installing Solaris 2.4 on the Sparcstation SLC (sun4c).