Parallel printer on Sun Sparc Classic

Post by Hermann Buer » Wed, 24 Mar 1993 01:16:57

Hello out there,

Does anyone knows, how to configure a parallel printer on a SUN
Sparc Classic. Please followup by E-Mail.

Many thanks and best regards

                                 Hermann

Hermann Buergi
SKW Engineering AG                   Tel. 061 901 15 55
Schneckelerstrasse 4                 Fax  061 901 20 66

                                     X.400 C=CH; A=ARCOM; P=EUNET; O=SKW S=SKW

1. Parallel port problem with sparc classic

I'm trying to enable printing on a sparc classic (for a friend whom I've
advised to buy a faster machine!).  I'm not an expert but have done this
on several sparcs of my own without difficulty, but am completely stuck
on this one.

The problem appears to be writing to the parallel port.  I'm using gs as
a filter to convert ps to pcl, to drive an HP ljet 4.  Using lp xxx.ps
just prints out lots of banner pages, pretty much ad nauseam.  At least
this indicates that it's possible to get data to the printer over the
parallel link, though.

If I create a .pcl file and cat it to /dev/bpp0 I get the error message
"/dev/bpp0: cannot create" even if I do this as root, yet it works fine
on my U30.  So far as I can see, all the ownerships and permissions are
the same on both machines.  I've printed the .pcl file created on the
classic on the U30 and that's fine, so it's not a file content error.

The print queue seems to be accepting jobs, and even trying to process
them (but only by the endless banner page printing).

I'm now completely stuck!!  Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks - Paul Douglas

2. Availability of LIB or ARC software for UNIX

3. Replacing HD in a SUN sparc Classic

4. IPTables firewall script non-funtional. Help please

5. LaserWriter Select 310 on Sun SPARC Classic

6. automount issue

7. Repeating reboot on Sun sparc classic

8. Anyone using Netmanage Interdrive NFS client to connect to directories on Solaris?

9. sun sparc classic and redhat 6.1

10. adding a printer to a SPARC classic

11. How to use Exabyte 8205 with SPARC Classic, SPARC 10??

12. Can you use memory from Ultra 1, Classic, or Sparc 2 on a Sparc 5?

13. Parallel printer on Sparc LX - HELP !!!!!!!!!