Help, Booting Sparc 20 from Sparc Disk Array via fiber link

Help, Booting Sparc 20 from Sparc Disk Array via fiber link

Post by Gene Stillma » Thu, 03 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Does anyone have an answer on what the EEPROM variable
BOOT DISK must be set to to have the system recognize the
Sparc Disk array as the boot disk. Currently we have to use
sun's 1GB drive as a boot disk with about 800meg of swap space to
run an application. The speed of the SCSI/drive causes excessive
disk access time for any activity.

We hope to use the disk array box as our boot system and let the
necessary swapping travel on the much faster fiber system.

Anyone out there with this answer?

Thank You, Gene

Be kind to your children, they will choose your nursing home.

Post by Andrey Ryzho » Sat, 05 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Does anyone have an answer on what the EEPROM variable
> BOOT DISK must be set to to have the system recognize the
> Sparc Disk array as the boot disk. Currently we have to use
> sun's 1GB drive as a boot disk with about 800meg of swap space to
> run an application. The speed of the SCSI/drive causes excessive
> disk access time for any activity.

> We hope to use the disk array box as our boot system and let the
> necessary swapping travel on the much faster fiber system.

> Anyone out there with this answer?

boot the system from SCSI disk or CD,
ls -l /dev/dsk/cXtYdZs0
where /dev/dsk/cXtYdZs0 is the disk in the SPARC
storage array. ls will give you something like

lrwx ... -> ../../devices/iommu...

run eeprom command:
eeprom boot-device=/iommu.... (cut-and-paste)

Now, if you have a root filesystem set up properly
on the disk, you can reboot.

In fact I doubt that this will give serious
preformance improvement. Single disk in SSA
is not much faster than single SCSI disk.
Only spreading data across several physical disks
can give *real* acceleration, IMHO.

Regards,
Andrey

Post by zaitce » Mon, 07 Apr 1997 05:00:00

> > We hope to use the disk array box as our boot system and let the
> > necessary swapping travel on the much faster fiber system.

Swapping has no relation to the boot drive, just edit /etc/vfstab
and direct swap partitions to different drives.

Quote:> In fact I doubt that this will give serious
> preformance improvement. Single disk in SSA
> is not much faster than single SCSI disk.

This is basicaly correct.

Quote:> Only spreading data across several physical disks
> can give *real* acceleration, IMHO.

Gene may target a mirrored root which gives some
acceleration. And SSA may be shipped with faster disks than the
original system has. For me an SSA swap is worh trying, and may
be root too.

--Pete

1. Sparc 5 vs Sparc 10 vs Sparc 20

New to the group, so please be easy on me.

Here's my question:

Is there a performance difference between a 5, 10, or 20?  During a
recent exercise we conducted, that users were complaining about their
clients being too slow.  They asked to be upgraded to a Sparc 20 to
alleviate their woes.  Walking around doing a dmesg grep -i cpu, we
found that the 5's or 10's actually had a faster processor than the
20's.  Sometimes the RAM was higher on the 20's, sometimes not.   Is
there some sort of performance rating on different models published
somewhere?  Or is it dependent on the architecture of the box itself?
My suggestion was to walk around and pencil in an extra 0 on the case
so they'd think they had a higher model !  Customer service!!

If this is too vague, please let me know and I'll try to be as
specific as I can without compromising security.

Boz
(no certifications as of yet)

2. My ISP doesn't do linux???

3. Swapping drives from Sparc 20 to Sparc 5 (boot drives)

4. Question about netmasks

5. Transistion from Sparc 2 to Sparc 20

6. Linux Projects Map? Gone?

7. SPARC-20 boot error, HELP?

8. Hacked, now trying to disinfect

9. Sparc 20 Can't Boot, Please help

10. Need HELP booting a SPARC 20

11. 2 * pqKQiGFZQ-Sparc 20 Can't Boot, Please help

12. Need help booting a SPARC 20

13. 1 * NqvaAaZaK-Sparc 20 Can't Boot, Please help