Mounting Volume Manager File Systems without the Volume Manager software

Mounting Volume Manager File Systems without the Volume Manager software

Post by Ling » Fri, 21 Jun 2002 02:45:46

Hi

I have an Enterprise 450 with Solaris 2.6 loaded and a A1000 disk
array attached to it. Right now, the Sun Storage Volume Manager is
installed and all the file systems are created with volume manager.

I am trying to install Solaris 2.8 on a new disk I placed internally
into the 450, so that I can dual boot the system to either 2.6 or 2.8.
However I just found out that I don't have the media for the Volume
Manager and now I am stuck. If I boot into Solaris 2.8, is there
anyway I can mount those file systems created under Solaris 2.6 using
Volume Manager? I tried to copy over those vx drivers and files,
recreated the devices files using mknod but has not been able to bring
up Volume Manager under 2.8.

Is there anything else I can try so that I can mount those file system
when I boot into Solaris 2.8?

Thanks
ling

Post by Darren Dunha » Fri, 21 Jun 2002 05:15:59

> Hi
> I have an Enterprise 450 with Solaris 2.6 loaded and a A1000 disk
> array attached to it. Right now, the Sun Storage Volume Manager is
> installed and all the file systems are created with volume manager.
> I am trying to install Solaris 2.8 on a new disk I placed internally
> into the 450, so that I can dual boot the system to either 2.6 or 2.8.
> However I just found out that I don't have the media for the Volume
> Manager and now I am stuck. If I boot into Solaris 2.8, is there
> anyway I can mount those file systems created under Solaris 2.6 using
> Volume Manager? I tried to copy over those vx drivers and files,
> recreated the devices files using mknod but has not been able to bring
> up Volume Manager under 2.8.

Probably not.  If it's actually Sun Storedge Volume Manager, then it's
probably version 2.5 or 2.6.  Both are ancient at this point, and I
don't know that either is supported on Solaris 8.  I don't even think
the licenses for the 2.x versions work on the 3.x versions, but I'm not
certain about that.

Quote:> Is there anything else I can try so that I can mount those file system
> when I boot into Solaris 2.8?

Do you have to stay with volume manager or not is the question.

Method 1 is to call Sun and see what it takes to get a copy of Volume
Manager for Solaris 8.

Method 2 is to take the data out of the VM volumes and put them onto
normal slices.

You could probably get a Solaris DiskSuite configuration that works on
both boots, but I'm not sure how you'd do that.  Also, while DS comes
on the Solaris 8 disks, it only came with a Server license pak on
Solaris 2.6.

Post by Matt Schechtm » Fri, 21 Jun 2002 05:18:34

>Probably not.  If it's actually Sun Storedge Volume Manager, then it's
>probably version 2.5 or 2.6.  Both are ancient at this point, and I
>don't know that either is supported on Solaris 8.  I don't even think
>the licenses for the 2.x versions work on the 3.x versions, but I'm not
>certain about that.

I believe that support for SEVM was dropped when VxVM 3.2 was released.
Neither one supports Solaris 8 - you need VxVM 3.x. However, license
keys for 2.x will work on 3.x

Quote:>Do you have to stay with volume manager or not is the question.

>Method 1 is to call Sun and see what it takes to get a copy of Volume
>Manager for Solaris 8.

We found for us (since we wanted to keep VxVM) that it was cheaper to
have maintenance on VxVM directly from Veritas than to get new versions
from either vendor, or support from Sun.

-matt

Post by Matt Schechtm » Fri, 21 Jun 2002 05:22:07

>Probably not.  If it's actually Sun Storedge Volume Manager, then it's
>probably version 2.5 or 2.6.  Both are ancient at this point, and I
>don't know that either is supported on Solaris 8.  I don't even think
>the licenses for the 2.x versions work on the 3.x versions, but I'm not
>certain about that.

I believe that support for SEVM was dropped when VxVM 3.2 was released.
Neither version of SEVM supports Solaris 8 - you need VxVM 3.x.