POSIX timers versus System V timers

Post by Nimmi Srivast » Sat, 27 Sep 2003 23:43:06

Recently I posted a question on a different newsgroup pertaining to
POSIX timers.  I wanted to know how POSIX timers work.  In System V,
timers are implemented via an alarm system call, which causes a
SIG_ALM signal to be generated when the time elapses.  My question was
whether POSIX timers work the same way, or are they handled
differently.

I have been told that POSIX specifies an INTERFACE, not an
IMPLEMENTATION.  Hence I revise my question:

How are POSIX timers implemented on Solaris?

Thanks,
Nimmi

Post by Dragan Cvetkovi » Sat, 27 Sep 2003 23:49:06

> Recently I posted a question on a different newsgroup pertaining to
> POSIX timers.  I wanted to know how POSIX timers work.  In System V,
> timers are implemented via an alarm system call, which causes a
> SIG_ALM signal to be generated when the time elapses.  My question was
> whether POSIX timers work the same way, or are they handled
> differently.

> I have been told that POSIX specifies an INTERFACE, not an
> IMPLEMENTATION.  Hence I revise my question:

> How are POSIX timers implemented on Solaris?

Nimmi, I doubt anybody will give you all the details about POSIX timers
implementation in Solaris, but e.g setitimer (is that what you mean by
POSIX timers?) sends SIGALRM, SIGVTALRM or SIGPROF, depending on the type
of timer needed. man setitimer gives away as much (and then some more).

HTH, Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

To be or not to be is true. G. Boole      No it isn't.  L. E. J. Brouwer

!!! Sender/From address is bogus. Use reply-to one but remove .NOSPAM !!!