SunOS 4.1 box doesn't want to see DNS anymore

SunOS 4.1 box doesn't want to see DNS anymore

Post by Jean-Fran?ois Ancti » Fri, 24 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

    At the beginning of the week, I transfered my DNS server from a SunOS
4.1.4 box to a Solaris7 PC box. All the machines running SunOs5 or higher
are working fine, ie that I can use my new DNS server (which has the same IP
address and the same name of the older one). I can do nslookup with no
problems.

    But, I have a lot of stations with SunOS 4.1.4 or older and these
machines cause a lot of problems. When I'm trying to do a nslookup from
those machines, I always get this king of messages :

bartok% nslookup www.crim.ca
*** Can't find server name for address 132.203.250.10: Query refused
*** Can't find server name for address 192.26.210.1: Query refused
*** Can't find initialize address for server : Timed out
Server:  localhost
Bus error

where bartor is the station name  and both IP addresses are the secondary
DNS server (the primary DNS server's address is 132.203.120.20).

What's the meaning of that exactly and why do I have this problem ??   I
think that maybe is a problem between bind 8 and bind 4 but I'm not sure at
all....

Please, help me, any advice will be great !!!

----------------------
Jean-Fran?ois Anctil
admin. rseau - assistant recherche - analyste/programmeur
Universit Laval

----------------------

SunOS 4.1 box doesn't want to see DNS anymore

Post by ynots.. » Fri, 24 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>     At the beginning of the week, I transfered my DNS server from a
> SunOS 4.1.4 box to a Solaris7 PC box. All the machines running SunOs5
> or higher are working fine, ie that I can use my new DNS server (which
> has the same IP address and the same name of the older one). I can do
> nslookup with no problems.

>     But, I have a lot of stations with SunOS 4.1.4 or older and these
> machines cause a lot of problems. When I'm trying to do a nslookup
> from those machines, I always get this king of messages :

> bartok% nslookup www.crim.ca
> *** Can't find server name for address 132.203.250.10: Query refused
> *** Can't find server name for address 192.26.210.1: Query refused
> *** Can't find initialize address for server : Timed out
> Server:  localhost
> Bus error

> where bartor is the station name  and both IP addresses are the
> secondary DNS server (the primary DNS server's address is
> 132.203.120.20).

> What's the meaning of that exactly and why do I have this problem ??
> think that maybe is a problem between bind 8 and bind 4 but I'm not
> sure at all....

> Please, help me, any advice will be great !!!

Hopefully you don't have two machines active w/ same IP addy and name.

Try this test:

bartok%   nslookup - 132.203.120.20
Default Server:  barber.ift.ulaval.ca
Address:  132.203.120.20

Quote:> www.crim.ca

Server:  barber.ift.ulaval.ca
Address:  132.203.120.20

Name:    saku.crim.ca
Address:  132.218.2.200
Aliases:  www.crim.ca

Quote:> exit

If that works, your resolv.conf file needs editing. Be sure the
/etc/resolv.conf files on the SunOS 4.x boxen are correct, with:

domain  yourdomain.name
nameserver  132.203.120.20
nameserver  132.203.250.10
nameserver  192.26.210.1

You don't need in.named running on any machine other than your new DNS
primary and secondaries, so make sure you have renamed the
/etc/named.boot files on other machines to /etc/named.boot.ORG or
something and killed any instances of in.named (or named) on them.

There is no /etc/nsswitch.conf on SunOS 4.x, so that's not a concern.

-   tony

-

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

SunOS 4.1 box doesn't want to see DNS anymore

Post by Andrew Sun - UCE revokable accoun » Fri, 24 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

>     At the beginning of the week, I transfered my DNS server from a SunOS
> 4.1.4 box to a Solaris7 PC box. All the machines running SunOs5 or higher
> are working fine, ie that I can use my new DNS server (which has the same IP
> address and the same name of the older one). I can do nslookup with no
> problems.

>     But, I have a lot of stations with SunOS 4.1.4 or older and these
> machines cause a lot of problems. When I'm trying to do a nslookup from
> those machines, I always get this king of messages :

> bartok% nslookup www.crim.ca
> *** Can't find server name for address 132.203.250.10: Query refused
> *** Can't find server name for address 192.26.210.1: Query refused
> *** Can't find initialize address for server : Timed out
> Server:  localhost
> Bus error

Newer DNS servers reject inverse query types by default,
which old nslookup versions depend on.
The better suggestion would be to upgrade the nslookup for SunOS 4.
Another option would be to enable support for the needed
query type at the DNS servers.

Of the times I've encountered this problem, it was specific
to the nslookup utility only.  Regular DNS name resolution
seems unaffected.

andrew

1. SunOS 4.1 / 4.1.1 / 4.1.1U_1 /usr/etc/rpc.yppasswdd doesn't work.

We have a problem.

We run NIS on our public-access system.  (This in itself is not quite
the problem.  B^>)

We run a network of Sun 3s with 4.1.1 and 4.1.1U_1.

We can't get passwd to work correctly to change the NIS password (ie
setting a non-local password).

Tracing yppasswdd to see what's happening, with the 4.1.1U_1 version
the program opens the passwd file twice when the second time it should
have opened the adjunct file, so it thinks the quoted old password is
bad and refuses to store the new one.

Tracing the 4.1.1 version (and I've even tried the 4.1 version),
yppasswdd gets a SIGSEGV a little after creating the adjunct ptmp file,
so it doesn't get to create the new entry and subsequent attempts to
set passwords inform us that the password file is `busy' (the .ptmp
file is there albeit size zero).

Can we fix this?

Damon

2. Getting XFree86 and CDE to work together

3. WANTED: Solaris 2 equivalent to SunOS 4.1.X's 'showfh' cmd

4. POP server with NIS+ support?

5. fflush doesn't work on SunOS 4.1 ?

6. Solaris 2.4 and security

7. Can't pipe stdout into 'cat', using g++/libg++ on SunOS 4.1

8. LAN with DHCP in a Linksys router, can't ping local machines

9. PPP doesn't die, it just doesn't work anymore

10. SunOS 4.1.3C NIS/DNS problems

11. Getting SunOS 4.1 to use DNS -and- /etc/hosts (long)

12. Wanted: A copy of the SunOS 4.1[.1] manual set

13. WANTED: SunOS 4.1.x on QIC 150MB format tape.