market share of solaris versions (2.6 vs. 2.7 vs. 8)

market share of solaris versions (2.6 vs. 2.7 vs. 8)

Post by GP » Sun, 23 Sep 2001 06:33:52

*** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeeds.com ***

This is an informal poll for the relative market share of the various
recent Solaris versions (2.6, 7, 8) on production server systems in
major corporations (not workstations, not somebody's test environment,
but the "real" systems). It seems to me that a substantial number of
companies are still running 2.6 and there has not been a big push to
upgrade. Please share your impressions.

Also, any pointers to published studies on the subject will be very
welcome.

Thanks!

George

-----==  Over 90,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

market share of solaris versions (2.6 vs. 2.7 vs. 8)

Post by Verna Legasp » Sun, 23 Sep 2001 08:06:52

I work for a major wireless company.  For production, our department uses:
Solaris 8: 1
Solaris 7: 2
Solaris 2.6: 1

Quote:> *** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeeds.com ***

> This is an informal poll for the relative market share of the various
> recent Solaris versions (2.6, 7, 8) on production server systems in
> major corporations (not workstations, not somebody's test environment,
> but the "real" systems). It seems to me that a substantial number of
> companies are still running 2.6 and there has not been a big push to
> upgrade. Please share your impressions.

> Also, any pointers to published studies on the subject will be very
> welcome.

> Thanks!

> George

> -----==  Over 90,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

market share of solaris versions (2.6 vs. 2.7 vs. 8)

Post by Joe Schiavon » Sun, 23 Sep 2001 10:58:57

We are running ALL Solaris 8 and coming soon, 9!  Its outa the box
and shipping.   Solaris 8 is so much nicer than prior releases.
Have about 10 PC's running on Solaris x86 version 8 and its just
like the real thang!   Cheap hardware and Excellent software.
Soo many virus's and soo many blue screens were the driving
force.  Now we rarely have to re-boot.

Post by G.T. » Sun, 23 Sep 2001 13:22:23

> I work for a major wireless company.  For production, our department uses:
> Solaris 8: 1
> Solaris 7: 2
> Solaris 2.6: 1

I work for a major media company.  Of the production servers I know of
we use:

Solaris 8:  0
Solaris 7:  0
Solaris 2.6:  22

With Solaris 8 on one cheap, development box, my Sun Blade 100.

Greg

--
Never trust a top poster.

Post by Robert Mullen » Sun, 23 Sep 2001 14:26:17

> *** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeeds.com ***

> This is an informal poll for the relative market share of the various
> recent Solaris versions (2.6, 7, 8) on production server systems in
> major corporations (not workstations, not somebody's test environment,
> but the "real" systems). It seems to me that a substantial number of
> companies are still running 2.6 and there has not been a big push to
> upgrade. Please share your impressions.

> Also, any pointers to published studies on the subject will be very
> welcome.

> Thanks!

> George

I have two jobs..we are all Solaris 8 at one job, and at the other
75% Solaris 8, 20% Solaris 7 (soon to be 8), 5% Solaris 2.6 (soon to be 8)

Quote:

Post by Rich Tee » Sun, 23 Sep 2001 14:42:58

> We are running ALL Solaris 8 and coming soon, 9!  Its outa the box

By "It" I presume you mean Solaris 8: Solaris 9 is definately
NOT shipping yet.

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

market share of solaris versions (2.6 vs. 2.7 vs. 8)

Post by Circusj.. » Mon, 24 Sep 2001 03:26:46

Well

I'm at a software company
and Our servers Run the gauntlet

1 - Solaris 2.4 ( to be retired/upgraded by end of year )
3 - Solaris 2.5.1  ( would love to retire those )
about 10  running solaris 2.6
another 10 or so running solaris 2.7
and about 5  running Solaris 2.8

I inherited this enviroment , and nothing was running 2.8 when I got
here. I have been activly upgrading where it is needed.

I even had a SUN OS 4.1.3  I had to retire!

The intereseting thing , there are still software makers out there who
don't "reccomend"  or support there software on Solaris 2.8 yet !

Legato and Rational  as 2 examples

Post by br.. » Mon, 24 Sep 2001 17:49:27

: I work for a major wireless company.  For production, our department uses:
: Solaris 8: 1
: Solaris 7: 2
: Solaris 2.6: 1

There is NO reason to not be on Solaris 8 at this point unless your company
lacks real SA's.  Solaris 7 was worth skipping, but staying on  Solaris 2.6
at this point unless there is a REAL reason shows a companies inability to
stay up to  date.  Avoid any company that isn't on Solaris 8 (out 1.5 years
now!).  Solaris 8  has gone thought MANY revisions.

Unlike the NT crowd, UNIX people wait forever until their forced to upgrade. :)

Post by Circusj.. » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 03:07:05

>: I work for a major wireless company.  For production, our department uses:
>: Solaris 8: 1
>: Solaris 7: 2
>: Solaris 2.6: 1

>There is NO reason to not be on Solaris 8 at this point unless your company
>lacks real SA's.  Solaris 7 was worth skipping, but staying on  Solaris 2.6
>at this point unless there is a REAL reason shows a companies inability to
>stay up to  date.  Avoid any company that isn't on Solaris 8 (out 1.5 years
>now!).  Solaris 8  has gone thought MANY revisions.

>Unlike the NT crowd, UNIX people wait forever until their forced to upgrade. :)

Unfortunatly I must disagree with you here.

I just built a Brand New  E -3500 , On Solaris 7

why  ? Well It is going to be our new clearcase server.

and Rational Software flately says there server does Not run On
Solaris 8!

Hence we run Solaris 7.

market share of solaris versions (2.6 vs. 2.7 vs. 8)

Post by br.. » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 03:42:26

<snip>
:> up to  date.  Avoid any company that isn't on Solaris 8 (out 1.5 years
:>now!).  Solaris 8  has gone thought MANY revisions.

: Unfortunatly I must disagree with you here.

: I just built a Brand New  E -3500 , On Solaris 7

: why  ? Well It is going to be our new clearcase server.

: and Rational Software flately says there server does Not run On
: Solaris 8!

There is no version of Cleacase server that is supported on Solaris 8?? Note
I say "supported" because it does run on Solaris 8. Our company runs Clearcase
4.2 on a few Solaris 8 Ultra's.

: Hence we run Solaris 7.

I tried to look on their website but could not find any information on the
version of Solaris supported except that Samba support is only on Solaris 8.

Post by Rob Kouwenbe » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 04:28:04

> major corporations (not workstations, not somebody's test environment,
> but the "real" systems). It seems to me that a substantial number of
> companies are still running 2.6 and there has not been a big push to
> upgrade. Please share your impressions.

Big company with one of the locations
about 400 boxes sun hardware running sol 26
0 running sol 27
10 running sol 28

Skip sol 27, lotsa applications will run under sol 28, but are not

64 bit (damned ac200 ..). Sol 26 has been stable for several years.

Post by G.T. » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:55:14

> : I work for a major wireless company.  For production, our department uses:
> : Solaris 8: 1
> : Solaris 7: 2
> : Solaris 2.6: 1

> There is NO reason to not be on Solaris 8 at this point unless your company
> lacks real SA's.

If you have the performance, stability, and security that you need give
me the reasons why you have to upgrade to Solaris 8.

Greg

--
See http://www.2fortheroad.net for ugly bikes and stale music.
"Why does a man with nothing to say, he always seems to talk?" - Marc

Post by Logan Sh » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 11:40:17

>If you have the performance, stability, and security that you need give
>me the reasons why you have to upgrade to Solaris 8.

So that being unfamiliar with Solaris 8 doesn't prevent you from buying
new hardware that you might need.

  - Logan
--
"Everybody
 Loves to see

market share of solaris versions (2.6 vs. 2.7 vs. 8)

Post by DJW » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:31:15

Not much currently I would wait until Solaris 9.

But remember

a) Later versions of Solaris have more bug fixes.
( Just because you have not hit a bug now does
not mean a change in your application will not
hit an existing known already fixed bug).

Think about how the level of support improves if all the
developers are fixing bugs in the latest version of the code
rather than chasing ones which have already been fixed in the
code.

b) Better tools to debug application problems

c) Later versions have tools like appcert which
check for application compatibility, hence giving
your developers more time to move away from
obsolete APIs.

d) Migration becomes a larger effort the more
OS versions you have to move across as

a) more APIs used by the application become obsolete

b) More changes become visible to the application and applications which
either

i) reply on undocumented behaviour or
ii) make unwarranted assumptions that fail under later versions

require application code changes.

A large amount of  application code changes and possibly code
design changes become harder to do and mean upgrading can take
much longer. When you suddenly need to upgrade in a hurry you find you
cannot since migrating your applications takes too long.

c) The more time OS developers spent changing the OS the more bugs which
effect your application are introduced

i) After the upgrade more application/OS crashes occur and it takes longer
get a stable system.

How many bugs/incompatibilities is it possible to introduce in one day?
Surely
less then in one year? The more times in one year that the code is pulled
back
into a working state the easier and quicker it is too fix.

As my gym instructors says in weight training when I push the weight up too
quickly
"Smaller steps and you won't go far wrong, too big steps and you fail"

"It is easier to cross a large river when you have stepping stones"

> >If you have the performance, stability, and security that you need give
> >me the reasons why you have to upgrade to Solaris 8.

> So that being unfamiliar with Solaris 8 doesn't prevent you from buying
> new hardware that you might need.

>   - Logan
> --
> "Everybody
>  Loves to see
>  Justice done
>  On somebody else"     ( Bruce*burn, "Justice", 1981 )

market share of solaris versions (2.6 vs. 2.7 vs. 8)

Post by G.T. » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 11:06:59

I missed Logan's reply.  Reply to him below.

Quote:

> d) Migration becomes a larger effort the more
> OS versions you have to move across as

The only reasons of the above that would be compelling for me to upgrade
to Solaris 8 would be regarding upgrade difficulties when you fall way
behind on versions.  But considering the fact that our apps run
unchanged for a very long time we usually end up creating new
environments on new hardware, and retire or repurpose the old hardware.

> "It is easier to cross a large river when you have stepping stones"

> > >If you have the performance, stability, and security that you need give
> > >me the reasons why you have to upgrade to Solaris 8.

> > So that being unfamiliar with Solaris 8 doesn't prevent you from buying
> > new hardware that you might need.

That's what development boxes are for, aren't they?  The gist of my
original message was in regards to stable production boxes.

Greg

--
Never trust a top-poster.