How to disclaim the content of a memory address range?????????

How to disclaim the content of a memory address range?????????

Post by Aaron L » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 01:13:46

Hello Folks,
I have a program written on C and running on SUNOS 5.8. I want to know
if there is a subroutine to disclaim the content of a memory address,
equivalent to disclaim (xx,yy,zz) subroutine in IBM AIX.
Aaron

Post by Dragan Cvetkovi » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 01:26:24

> Hello Folks,
> I have a program written on C and running on SUNOS 5.8. I want to know if
> there is a subroutine to disclaim the content of a memory address,
> equivalent to disclaim (xx,yy,zz) subroutine in IBM AIX.
> Aaron

You can try using madvise() with MADV_DONTNEED or  MADV_FREE, but it very
much depend how did you get the pages in the first place.

man -s3C madvise gives more details.

Bye, Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

To be or not to be is true. G. Boole      No it isn't.  L. E. J. Brouwer

1. memory range - IO range

sorry cos its not a unix specific question. i noticed that some
devices like the NIC and graphics adapter have a "memory"range and IO
range ( i actually saw it in windows). does memory range mean that
these devices have direct access ( not DMA/bus mastering) to the
system memory? or does is pertain to memory that is present in the
device which is mapped ? if so what does IO range mean? does unix
handle it the same way? i posted in comp.hardware and a winx group..
but i cudn't get satisfactory answers.

2. AHA3940 boot problem

3. how to reserve a range of memory address

4. Dell Laptop Latitude xpi

5. writing I/O to memory address range

6. Help! Linux no longer boots after installing Win98

7. How is shared memory address range determined

8. Redhat 4.1 + OS/2 + Win95

9. dhcp-server: assign fixed address to clients within MAC address range

10. assign fixed address to clients with MAC address range

11. How to send files w/ Content range?

12. Monitor Sync range Versus Scan range

13. How to exclude single ip-address form ip range?