recovering lost+found files?

Post by Wyllys Ingerso » Sat, 01 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Is there a tool that can take all the files in the lost+found
directory and change them from numbers back into their
original names?  What good is the lost+found tree if you can't
figure out what the names are supposed to be?

---------------------------------------------------------------'
Wyllys Ingersoll                  Interlock Developer

Reston VA

1. how do I recover files in lost+found dir ?

Ok, I moved the scripts that were in /lost+found back to
/etc/rc.d/init.d and /etc/ppp after looking at each of their contents.
(I seem to have lost the gpm script, but I should be able to rpm that
back.) I now realize that the broken symlinks were the S*, K*  links
in the /etc/rc.d/rc?.d/ directories.  These directories were all gone
except rc6.d. I did mkdir on rc[0-5].d and then made identical links
in those directories from rc5.d.  I know that's not quite right, but
it's a start.

Now my question is: What is a reasonable set of S*, K* links to their
respective /etc/rc.d/init/d scripts for each of these directories? The
links in rc6.d were to kill off everything and shutdown.  I could make
up a starting order, but what's the nominal set of links for each init
level?

TIA.

______________________
Tim Williams

2. Slave Printing on SCO w/TERM

3. Recover files from lost+found

4. Socket Source code Example

5. recovering from lost+found

6. What to use as salt in crypt?

7. recovering lost file

8. dbench test

9. Timely thread! Recovering lost files.

10. Recovering lost files

11. Recovering lost file system: how?

12. HELP: recovering lost disk files

13. find without the "find: cannot read dir /usr/lost+found: Permission denied"