Solution for Installation of Solaris 8 Intel Version on Dell 4100

Solution for Installation of Solaris 8 Intel Version on Dell 4100

Post by Anan » Thu, 04 Oct 2001 22:34:10

Hi all,

Atlast I could get around this ACPI problem in my Dell Dimension 4100
machine and could able to dual boot my system with Win98SE and Solaris
8. Whenever I used to boot my machine with Solaris 8  CD#1 in the CD
drive I used to get the following error as most of the Dell friends
over here are encountering.

"ACPI tables not in reclaim memory.
prom_panic : kmem_free block already free.
Entering boot de*:
12ff05"

As I'm not Unix technical guru I don't how far my solution will work
for other Dell users but can definitely give it a try. Earlier I used
to have 128MB SDRAM and now I had added an additional 256MB SDRAM and
booted my machine with  the Solaris 8  CD#1 and zoom it went and the
rest went on well. One more thing I did is I skipped the Device
configuration by pressing F4. I hope one can do this later once the
installation is complete.

Please, I request the Unix gurus out there to comment on this
solution.

Thanks,
Ananth