Solaris: Shutting down one system generates messages on all systems: Why/how to turn off?

Post by Kenny McCorma » Thu, 23 Oct 2003 01:23:38

Solaris: Shutting down one system generates messages on all
systems: Why/how to turn off?

When one machine in our network executes the shutdown command, messages are
displayed on all the machines saying the machine is about to be rebooted
(which is not true on those other machines).  I'm guessing that this is
caused by the fact that the other machines have NFS-mounted drives on the
machine that is going down.

Is this right?  And, is there a way to turn this "feature" off?

Solaris: Shutting down one system generates messages on all systems: Why/how to turn off?

Post by Darren Dunha » Thu, 23 Oct 2003 01:55:18

Quote:> Solaris: Shutting down one system generates messages on all
> systems: Why/how to turn off?
> When one machine in our network executes the shutdown command, messages are
> displayed on all the machines saying the machine is about to be rebooted
> (which is not true on those other machines).  I'm guessing that this is
> caused by the fact that the other machines have NFS-mounted drives on the
> machine that is going down.
> Is this right?  And, is there a way to turn this "feature" off?

Take a look at the man page for 'rmtab'.

Post by Kenny McCorma » Thu, 23 Oct 2003 04:06:15

>> Solaris: Shutting down one system generates messages on all
>> systems: Why/how to turn off?

>> When one machine in our network executes the shutdown command, messages are
>> displayed on all the machines saying the machine is about to be rebooted
>> (which is not true on those other machines).  I'm guessing that this is
>> caused by the fact that the other machines have NFS-mounted drives on the
>> machine that is going down.

>> Is this right?  And, is there a way to turn this "feature" off?

>Take a look at the man page for 'rmtab'.

OK, and then?

I get the idea of the rmtab file, but there doesn't seem to be much you can
do with it.  And, I don't see how it relates to the instant problem - unless
what you are saying is that removing (or commenting out) lines in this file
will inhibit the sending of the inter-system broadcast message.

Post by Barry Margoli » Thu, 23 Oct 2003 04:19:57

>>> Solaris: Shutting down one system generates messages on all
>>> systems: Why/how to turn off?

>>> When one machine in our network executes the shutdown command, messages are
>>> displayed on all the machines saying the machine is about to be rebooted
>>> (which is not true on those other machines).  I'm guessing that this is
>>> caused by the fact that the other machines have NFS-mounted drives on the
>>> machine that is going down.

>>> Is this right?  And, is there a way to turn this "feature" off?

>>Take a look at the man page for 'rmtab'.

>OK, and then?

>I get the idea of the rmtab file, but there doesn't seem to be much you can
>do with it.  And, I don't see how it relates to the instant problem - unless
>what you are saying is that removing (or commenting out) lines in this file
>will inhibit the sending of the inter-system broadcast message.

Yes it will.  That's how the NFS server knows which clients have mounted
its filesystems, and therefore need to be warned about the impending
shutdown.

--

Level(3), Woburn, MA

Post by Darren Dunha » Thu, 23 Oct 2003 04:49:04

>>Take a look at the man page for 'rmtab'.
> OK, and then?

Well, that's the background for what's happening.  I don't know exactly
what part of shutdown reads that file to send out messages, so I'm not
certain how it can be bypassed.

Quote:> I get the idea of the rmtab file, but there doesn't seem to be much you can
> do with it.  And, I don't see how it relates to the instant problem - unless
> what you are saying is that removing (or commenting out) lines in this file
> will inhibit the sending of the inter-system broadcast message.

You can certainly do that.  If I were very *about it, I might save a
copy and and put it back before starting up mountd on the reboot.  If
you don't do that, I can't think of anything that would break, though.
The output of 'showmount' would be inaccurate of course.

Post by Oscar del Ri » Thu, 23 Oct 2003 04:37:28

> Solaris: Shutting down one system generates messages on all
> systems: Why/how to turn off?

Disable walld in /etc/inetd.conf on all the machines, or
edit /usr/sbin/shutdown (a shell script) and comment out
the "rwall" line.

Post by Kenny McCorma » Thu, 23 Oct 2003 04:57:26

Quote:>>I get the idea of the rmtab file, but there doesn't seem to be much
>>you can do with it.  And, I don't see how it relates to the instant
>>problem - unless what you are saying is that removing (or commenting
>>out) lines in this file will inhibit the sending of the inter-system
>>broadcast message.

>Yes it will.  That's how the NFS server knows which clients have
>mounted its filesystems, and therefore need to be warned about the
>impending shutdown.

OK - this sounds like a workable workaround.  I can hack together a script
to comment out all the rmtab entries and add that to the shutdown script.

But, for the sake of clarity, is there not a more direct/cleaner solution?

P.S.  I can see the logic behind this feature, but in a production
environment (with clerical level users), it is an annoyance.

Post by Logan Sha » Thu, 23 Oct 2003 05:04:14

>> Solaris: Shutting down one system generates messages on all
>> systems: Why/how to turn off?

> Disable walld in /etc/inetd.conf on all the machines, or
> edit /usr/sbin/shutdown (a shell script) and comment out
> the "rwall" line.

Or just run "init 6" instead of "shutdown -i6", etc.  "init 6"
is pretty much the same thing as "shutdown -i6 -g0 -y", except
for the notifications and the fact that it creates /etc/nologin.
(But the window of time that /etc/nologin exists is short.)

   - Logan

Post by Kenny McCorma » Thu, 23 Oct 2003 05:06:33

>> Solaris: Shutting down one system generates messages on all
>> systems: Why/how to turn off?

>Disable walld in /etc/inetd.conf on all the machines, or
>edit /usr/sbin/shutdown (a shell script) and comment out
>the "rwall" line.

Bingo!  I have to admit it never occurred to me that "shutdown" would be
implemented as a shell script.

It looks like all you have to do is comment out this one single line:

        remotes=`/usr/sbin/showmount`

Post by Darren Dunha » Thu, 23 Oct 2003 05:06:33

>> Solaris: Shutting down one system generates messages on all
>> systems: Why/how to turn off?
> Disable walld in /etc/inetd.conf on all the machines, or
> edit /usr/sbin/shutdown (a shell script) and comment out
> the "rwall" line.

Heh.. That explains it.  I was looking through all the shutdown
processes and not at shutdown itself.

1. shutting down stops at "System Halted", doesn't turn off system

I recently installed RH 7.3, and I use KDE 3. Whenever I try to shut
down the computer, it stops at "System halted" without actually
turning off the system. It used to fully shut off on its own, but it
stops just short of that now, and I don't think I changed any system
setting that would do this. How do I make it completely shut down like
it used to?

2. Need ISP in Chicago for linux

3. turn off the system after power down

4. Metro-X problem

5. Newbie Q: Terminal as console shuts server down on turning off

6. Bourne Newbie

7. How can I turn off without shutting down

8. masquerade working, but weird error message!

9. Shut down of X windows causes monitor to turn Off??

10. How to shut-off on a shut-down?

11. RS/6000 43P-133: System hangs when shutting down eth0

12. Reproducible system crash after shutting down X -- no idea-- Please help

13. shut down system as non root user?