Conner 1060S HD, 2.4 x86 failure! HELP....

Conner 1060S HD, 2.4 x86 failure! HELP....

Post by Bryan Altha » Thu, 26 Jan 1995 08:25:09

Has *anyone* been able to load Solaris 2.4 x86 onto a Conner 1060S 1 GB
SCSI HD?

The setup is an  AST 486/33 Bravo with 16 MB, an Adaptec 1542CF and the
Conner with the machines BIOS turned off, the Adpatec card reset to defaults,
(Extended BIOS translation is disabled as is Dynamic scan SCSI BUS, as
well as BIOS support for more than 2 drives),  except for DMA channel set to
6 as stated in the Solaris guide.

Now the problem.  After the install is completed, Solaris reboots and upon
coming up it complains about /etc/init.d. Looking at the directory with
ls -a comes back with ". not found".  At this point if I reboot /etc
gets more corrupt until on the third reboot fsck fails and the ufs
filesystem is shot. Running fsck manually wipes out all of /etc until
the sytem is useless.

This happens like clockwork each of the 3 times I have attempted
to install Solaris.

I have done this using update4 disks as well as the original.

The system comes up and its a running system, only the /etc/init.d
directory is corrupt.

I used the Adpatec 1542CF card to Low Level format the drive.

Now what??? The drive is 2 days old and I'm not sure what to do.

*Any* help would be appreciated as this drive is for my home setup
and has come out of my pocket.

--
Regards,

Post by Bruce Adler [Contracto » Thu, 26 Jan 1995 19:41:00

>Has *anyone* been able to load Solaris 2.4 x86 onto a Conner 1060S 1 GB
>SCSI HD?

I don't have that combination handy but I do have other 1 GB drives and
other HBAs and I haven't had any problems with those combinations with
Solaris 2.4 x86.  But there have been problems reported with some brands
of 1 GB drives and some brands of controllers but as far as I know there
aren't any inherent problems with your combination.  Try calling Adaptec
and Conner support and asking each of them if there any known hardware
problems with your combination.

Quote:>The setup is an  AST 486/33 Bravo with 16 MB, an Adaptec 1542CF and the
>Conner with the machines BIOS turned off, the Adpatec card reset to defaults,

I don't understand what you mean by "the machine's BIOS turned off".

Quote:>(Extended BIOS translation is disabled as is Dynamic scan SCSI BUS, as
>well as BIOS support for more than 2 drives),  except for DMA channel set to
>6 as stated in the Solaris guide.

Did you notice that on page 45 of the Device Configuration Guide it
also says to:

        * Access the 154xC/CF BIOS setup utility by pressing the ctrl+A
          hot key when prompted. Then:

                * Disable Synchronous Negotiation for CD-ROM drives for
                  each target.

                * Disable the option that supports greater than 1 GB
                  (1024 cylinders) on the disk (Extended BIOS
                  Translation for DOS Drives > 1 Gbyte).

                * Disable the option that supports more than two DOS
                  drives.

        * The DMA transfer rate for the 1540CF [this should say 154xCF]
        should be left at the default unless your motherboard supports
        higher rates.

I'm just guessing but perhaps you enabled the extended translation or
you up-ed the DMA transfer rate. Try setting your exactly as it says in
the Device Config Guide.

Quote:>Now the problem.  After the install is completed, Solaris reboots and upon
>coming up it complains about /etc/init.d.  Looking at the directory with
>ls -a comes back with ".  not found".  At this point if I reboot /etc
>gets more corrupt until on the third reboot fsck fails and the ufs
>filesystem is shot.  Running fsck manually wipes out all of /etc until
>the sytem is useless.

That's very strange.  Can I assume you haven't done something as simple
as forgetting to shutdown cleanly before hitting the reset button?  Can
I also assume that you're not getting any SCSI I/O error messages on the
console?  (Since init.d is corrupted you may not be running the syslog
daemon. I'm not certain where the messages go if syslog isn't running.
Try running dmesg after your system reboots and look for SCSI error
messages in its output.)

Quote:>This happens like clockwork each of the 3 times I have attempted
>to install Solaris.

Next time you try the install select the option which says "don't
reboot".  When the install finishes run fsck -n on your freshly
installed root filesystem.  If you don't have any other controllers or
disks you should do something like this:

        fsck -n -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0

This will at least tell us whether the filesystem is being corrupted
during the installation or later.

Quote:>I have done this using update4 disks as well as the original.

It shouldn't matter. As far as I know the aha driver hasn't been update
since FCS.

Quote:>The system comes up and its a running system, only the /etc/init.d
>directory is corrupt.

>I used the Adpatec 1542CF card to Low Level format the drive.

>Now what???  The drive is 2 days old and I'm not sure what to do.

Assuming you have the Adaptec HBA configured properly the other possibility
is that you're getting I/O errors but for some strange reason you're
not seeing any messages on the console.

Some early 154xCF boards were very sensitive to non-compliant SCSI
cables.  I've never seen one of those boards but hopefully such a
situation will cause error messages on your console rather than silent
data corruption.  Perhaps Adaptec's tech support people can tell from
your board's serial number whether you've got one of the sensitive
ones.  Are your SCSI devices cabled internally or externally?  If
they're internal, do you have at least a foot between connectors and
your bus correctly terminated?  If they're external, are you using good
quality cables (I know Adaptec sells compliant cables)?

You didn't say what jumpers you've set on the disk drive.  I don't know
specifically about the Conner 1060S, but most drives have jumpers for
parity enable and SCSI-2 mode.  Both of these options should always be
enabled.

If none of this helps contact Solaris x86 support and they can dig up
the exact same hardware and verify that there isn't a hidden bug.

BA

Post by Bryan Altha » Mon, 30 Jan 1995 04:48:05

: >Has *anyone* been able to load Solaris 2.4 x86 onto a Conner 1060S 1 GB
: >SCSI HD?

: >(Extended BIOS translation is disabled as is Dynamic scan SCSI BUS, as
: >well as BIOS support for more than 2 drives),  except for DMA channel set
: >to 6 as stated in the Solaris guide.

: Did you notice that on page 45 of the Device Configuration Guide it
: also says to:

All were set to what page 45 said to do.

: >Now the problem.  After the install is completed, Solaris reboots and upon
: >coming up it complains about /etc/init.d.  Looking at the directory with
: >ls -a comes back with ".  not found".  At this point if I reboot /etc
: >gets more corrupt until on the third reboot fsck fails and the ufs
: >filesystem is shot.  Running fsck manually wipes out all of /etc until
: >the sytem is useless.

: That's very strange.  Can I assume you haven't done something as simple
: as forgetting to shutdown cleanly before hitting the reset button?

No, the shutdown is a clean one :) I've setup 5 machines before without
problem.

: >This happens like clockwork each of the 3 times I have attempted
: >to install Solaris.

: >The system comes up and its a running system, only the /etc/init.d
: >directory is corrupt.
: >
: >I used the Adpatec 1542CF card to Low Level format the drive.
: >
: >Now what???  The drive is 2 days old and I'm not sure what to do.

: specifically about the Conner 1060S, but most drives have jumpers for
: parity enable and SCSI-2 mode.  Both of these options should always be
: enabled.

Parity set and SCSI-2 mode is assumed.

: If none of this helps contact Solaris x86 support and they can dig up
: the exact same hardware and verify that there isn't a hidden bug.

I finally got the Conner 1060S to work. The problem is in the install
program.  The defaults that the auto-config program give for / are
just too small to hold everything.  It looks as /etc gets wacked
because of this.

I can show this as I did the install a couple of more times to make sure
this was it and it was.

To get the Conner to work, I just add 15MB more to / and everything is fine.
I take the 15MB from /export/home.

I looked at the fdisk layout to see if the filesytems were overlapping
as someone had suggested might cause my problem but everything looked fine.

Now I'm willing to contact Solaris x86 support to help them track down this
install bug as I can reproduce the problem and fix everytime.

Is there an e-mail address for Solaris x86 support or phone #?

Thanks for all you help Bruce.

--
Regards,

1. Conner CFP 1060S SCSI-HD Bug

A few days ago my Linux-PC totally crashed with damaged inode tables.
No e2fsck did help anymore :-{.
Then I read in the HOWTO's that the cause will probably be the Conner disk
(type CFP 1060S, 1GB), which has a erroneous firmware.
This should be upgradable by software.

Can anyone help me out with this software, or point me to a location where to
get it ???
My phone calls to Conner, Europe were quite frustrating. Customer support
is nearly ZERO.
They pointed me to their BBS, but there was nothing to find.
The telephone bill for this search will be some 40,- DM, for NOTHING !!

Never buy any Conner harware again !!!!

    ... always look on the bright side of life ... (Monty Python)

GMD-FIRST an der TU Berlin              German National Research Centre
Tel. (Berlin 030) 6392-1819                 for Computer Science

2. Help. Need help on Kernel Upgrade

3. Inode errors on Conner 1060S/Adaptec 1542CF-HELP

4. drivers SCANER QTRONIX

5. Anyone using Conner 1060S/Adaptec 1542CF-HELP

6. EZPPP problem????

7. Adaptec 1542CF/SCSI HD panics 2.4 x86 on boot; HELP!!

8. BOOTP server for BSD 386 ?

9. Conner 1060S

10. Solaris 2.4 x86 101946-12 patch install failure (error 10)

11. uucico/uucp login failure Sol 1.1.1 -> Sol 2.4 x86

12. 2.4 x86 installation wont boot from hd -req's floppy