Device Driver Question

Post by eastnda.. » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I am new to Device Drivers for Unix(Solaris 2.6 and Solaris 7)...I need
to know if there is a way to "Shim" a driver or "filter" on top of or
below another driver...In particular block drivers(i.e. the SCSI driver
)...If any one can help I would appreciate it...I need to know what
type of driver/code entity/configuration I need to
write/perform...Thanks In Advance...

A Little Clarification:  I want to be able to process the data going
into the driver and/or leaving the driver to the device...hopes this is
clearer...

Thanks,

EastNDaHse

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Device Driver Question

Post by Pete Howel » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

What you want to write is a streams module.  You should be able to find
everything you need on http://docs.sun.com or http://soldc.sun.com

Regards,

Pete Howell

>I am new to Device Drivers for Unix(Solaris 2.6 and Solaris 7)...I need
>to know if there is a way to "Shim" a driver or "filter" on top of or
>below another driver...In particular block drivers(i.e. the SCSI driver
>)...If any one can help I would appreciate it...I need to know what
>type of driver/code entity/configuration I need to
>write/perform...Thanks In Advance...

>A Little Clarification:  I want to be able to process the data going
>into the driver and/or leaving the driver to the device...hopes this is
>clearer...

>Thanks,

>EastNDaHse

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Device Driver Question

Post by eastnda.. » Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> What you want to write is a streams module.  You should be able to
find
> everything you need on http://docs.sun.com or http://soldc.sun.com

> Regards,

> Pete Howell

Thanks for the Info...BUT I knew about the STREAMS Modules but I
thought that a BLOCK driver(Fixed-Length Data Blocks), which the SCSI
Driver is in Solaris?, is not the same as a STREAM(Variable-Length Data
Blocks)...I would need a STREAMS implementation of the SCSI
driver...correct???....Is the SCSI driver a BLOCK or STREAMS Driver in
the implementation in Solaris?....Any additional help would be
appreciated....Thanks in Advance!!!

Quote:> >I am new to Device Drivers for Unix(Solaris 2.6 and Solaris 7)...I
need
> >to know if there is a way to "Shim" a driver or "filter" on top of or
> >below another driver...In particular block drivers(i.e. the SCSI
driver
> >)...If any one can help I would appreciate it...I need to know what
> >type of driver/code entity/configuration I need to
> >write/perform...Thanks In Advance...

> >A Little Clarification:  I want to be able to process the data going
> >into the driver and/or leaving the driver to the device...hopes this
is
> >clearer...

> >Thanks,

> >EastNDaHse

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Device Driver Question

Post by Daniel Pri » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Thanks for the Info...BUT I knew about the STREAMS Modules but I
>thought that a BLOCK driver(Fixed-Length Data Blocks), which the SCSI
>Driver is in Solaris?, is not the same as a STREAM(Variable-Length Data
>Blocks)...I would need a STREAMS implementation of the SCSI
>driver...correct???....Is the SCSI driver a BLOCK or STREAMS Driver in
>the implementation in Solaris?....Any additional help would be
>appreciated....Thanks in Advance!!!

SCSI target (and adapter) drivers are not implemented using STREAMS in
Solaris (nor in any other SVR4 derivative I know of).

Unfortunately there is currently no DDI-compliant way to write layered
or stacked drivers for Solaris outside of STREAMS.

So what are you actually trying to accomplish?  Perhaps there is another
way to get what you need....

        -dp

--

Expressed in this posting are my opinions. They are in no way related to
opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems. Statements on Sun products

1. Device driver question (generic device driver)

Hi, I post this for a colleague, who is unable to post here, so please

Herbert
Now his questions:

Hello,
I'm currently involved in writing a generic device driver, that
implements some common functions for other real drivers. My problem is:
How can I make sure that the generic driver is loaded first (before the
real driver modules)? Is there any order besides the order in the
/etc/system-file?
How does the OS loads it's own generic driver-modules?
Is it on demand ?
If yes, how is the "demanding" encoded, and where (Is there a defaults
file for this ? Is it hardcoded or can it be configured?) ?

Any help appreciated!
Thanks in advance for your replies!

Yours,

Christian

"Now's the time to impress not suppress your intellect, hold a gun to
 your head, if your mind's dead, blow away the cobweb" TEST DEPT; "bang
 on it" (Metal Edit) CD LEGACY (1990-1993), freud cd 047, efa 75230-2

2. partition cylinders

3. Device driver question: How to implement semaphore in driver?

4. V35 sync port on a Linux box

5. A LAN device driver question

6. Solaris 2 command

7. Solaris device driver question

8. swap space problem

9. Device Driver Questions (MIDI)

10. Device Driver Question - Take 2

11. Char. device driver question.

12. Loadable 4.1.3 SunOS Device Driver question.

13. Device-driver questions