desperately need help installing sol 2.6 x86

Post by Raymond N Shwa » Mon, 21 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>[[ PLEASE DON'T SEND ME EMAIL COPIES OF POSTINGS ]]

>>i'm trying to reinstall solaris 2.6 on my toshiba tecra 550.
>>i just put a new drive in it (an ibm travelstar 12gn, 12gb ide).
>>i previously had it running in a dual-boot with win95 on an
>>older 4gb drive.
>Solaris 2.6 doesn't support IDE drivers > 8GB.  You'd need
>to install Solaris 8.

        I'm pretty certain it'll work with such drives; it just won't see
the space beyond 8 GB. I tested this on a colleagues new Dell desktop which
came with 8 GB and 4 GB NTFS partitions. Since he hadn't actually taken
"possession" of the box, and the 4 GB partition was empty, I attempted to
install Solaris to that partition. Solaris began to install OK, but saw
only an 8 GB drive, so I had no space to play.
Quote:>>i've tried playing with system commander (which i used on
>>my old disk's install) and partition magic but am now using
>>win98 or win95 fdisk.
>For system commander, I think you'd need a patch to get past
>8GB too.

1. HELP: Sol 2.6 x86 error when running cc

When I attempt to execute cc, I get the following error message:

#/usr/ucb/cc
/usr/ucb/cc:    language optional software package not installed.

I have recently installed Solaris 2.6 x86 (my first),  and I did a
full installation, as I had the room to spare.  Does the full
installation not install all needed modules?  I need cc to be to
compile gzip code, as the downloaded binary happened to be a SPARC
binary.

Thanks to all

David

2. GNOME install: runs ok, but fonts are not drawn

3. HELP -- Sol 2.6 x86 -- How do I add extra serial ports

4. Wish List

5. NEED HELP: installing sol x86 2.5.1

6. Mounting Zip drive in RH 7.1 after upgrade!

7. Problem w/Solaris x86 to Sun IPX (ISDN) Desperately need help!

8. MIPS executable files

9. No back-quote key on german keybord in Sol.2.6 x86?

10. sources sol x86 2.6

11. Copying Sol 2.6 x86 boot drive

12. dfs/dce client, sol x86 (2.5 or 2.6)

13. *.so.6.1 Libraries - Sol. 2.6 x86