Setting up a serial laser printer

Post by David Lev » Wed, 03 May 1995 04:00:00

I have been trying without success to set up a laser printer on a
serial line (/dev/term/a) a Sparc 20 running SunOS 5.3 (Solaris 2.3).
I have tried using admintool, and as an alternate doing the set up by
hand following the instructions given in the sys. admin. answerbook.
I checked the serial cable to make sure that its pinout was ok.  ( The
pins were connected in the correct fashion.)  I check to make sure
that SunOS5.3 did not consider the line to be a terminal. Finally I
installed patch 101317-12.  The printer still does not work.  When I
print something and type lpq, it says the printer is ready and
printing.  However the printer prints nothing.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you,
David Levin
System Administartor

Post by Doug Hugh » Wed, 10 May 1995 04:00:00

|> I have been trying without success to set up a laser printer on a
|> serial line (/dev/term/a) a Sparc 20 running SunOS 5.3 (Solaris 2.3).
|> I have tried using admintool, and as an alternate doing the set up by
|> hand following the instructions given in the sys. admin. answerbook.
|> I checked the serial cable to make sure that its pinout was ok.  ( The
|> pins were connected in the correct fashion.)  I check to make sure
|> that SunOS5.3 did not consider the line to be a terminal. Finally I
|> installed patch 101317-12.  The printer still does not work.  When I
|> print something and type lpq, it says the printer is ready and
|> printing.  However the printer prints nothing.
|>
|> Any help is appreciated.
|> Thank you,
|> David Levin
|> System Administartor

This may not be what you want to here, but any public or multi-person
printers we have around here we've installed the BSD print service
on because of the huge number of problems and bugs in the native LP
stuff. It works much better.

Doug Hughes                                     Engineering Network Services
System/Net Admin                                Auburn University

                "Real programmers use cat > file.as"
Doug Hughes                                     Engineering Network Services
System/Net Admin                                Auburn University

Setting up a serial laser printer

Post by Hans Werner Stru » Sat, 13 May 1995 04:00:00

: |>
: |> I have been trying without success to set up a laser printer on a
: |> serial line (/dev/term/a) a Sparc 20 running SunOS 5.3 (Solaris 2.3).
: |> I have tried using admintool, and as an alternate doing the set up by
: |> hand following the instructions given in the sys. admin. answerbook.
: |> I checked the serial cable to make sure that its pinout was ok.  ( The
: |> pins were connected in the correct fashion.)  I check to make sure
: |> that SunOS5.3 did not consider the line to be a terminal. Finally I
: |> installed patch 101317-12.  The printer still does not work.  When I
: |> print something and type lpq, it says the printer is ready and
: |> printing.  However the printer prints nothing.

The reason may be that the printer is not run at 9600 Bd, using robust
Xon/Xoff. In that case the default Baud rate must be configured to that of
the printer in /kernel/drv/options.conf (then reboot). Reason:
When the lp system first opens the port, the Baud rate must already be
correct. It is not sufficient to use the stty setting in the interface
script.

--

 Drittes Physikalisches Institut,  Univ. Goettingen
 Buergerstr. 42-44,   D-37073 Goettingen,   Germany

Post by Jens Peterso » Mon, 15 May 1995 04:00:00

[...]

: I'm having the same problem, with a SPARCstation 5 running Solaris 2.3
: (and an NEC printer). The baud rates are correct on both the serial
: port and printer, and I've adjusted handshaking (using eeprom) per
: the Nemeth book, and nothing prints. The error I get is:

:       Timed-out trying to open the printer port

: I've tried reconfiguring the serial port as well as the printer,
: but no luck.  (The permissions on the port are 666 - maybe that's
: the problem?)
: Any ideas?

: Doug Steves

It would by my guess in both cases that there is a hand-shaking problem. We
have a multitude of line and laser printers and plotters connected to our
2.3 machines via both the serial SBUS card and the native serial ports on
the machine. All these devices are configured to use XON/XOFF and only the
2 data pins (RX/TX) and GND are connected. Then the printers (plotters)
where created using lpadmin and the following stty options:

9600 cs8 -cstopb clocal ixon -ixany -opost

(Note: You may or may not want -opost depending on your printer type.)
The lpadmin command was something like the following:

lpadmin -p <printername> \
        -c <someclass> \
        -h -I any -o "stty='9600 cs8 -cstopb clocal ixon -ixany -opost'" \
        -v /dev/term/a -T unknown

You will need to modify the -I and the -T depending on your your printer type.
Please email me if you have further questions.

Hope this sheds some light on the matter,

Jens

  University of Toledo
  Toledo, OH 43606                    BellNet:  (419) 537-2589 (Campus ph.)

                 Arts & Sciences Instrumentation Center
  Department of Chemistry             Department of Physics and Astronomy

Setting up a serial laser printer

Post by C.E.De » Fri, 19 May 1995 04:00:00

We have also had many problems setting up local printers on 2.4 systems.
In one case, the printer defaults (speed, bits, stop bits etc) had to be
changed to match the system defaults before it would work. Three other
printers would not work at all.

The service hot line people say they have not heard of any problems !!!!

After several hours of trial and error they finally arrived at a solution.
I include a set of instructions which may be useful.

Setting up local Postscript printers on Solaris 2.4 systems.

Basic rule is don't bother unless the printer is an Apple
LaserWriter. But if you must,

1. Install the printer with the Print Manager and modify so that it
uses port /dev/cua/a.

2. Set the defaults on the printer to match the defaults used by the
system. These are,

        9600, 8 bits, 1 stop bit, Parity NONE, Xon/Xoff

If  the printer cannot do these, I don't think it will work !

3. Modify the file /etc/lp/printers/<printer name> and correct the
following lines,

        Banner: off
        Interface: /etc/lp/interfaces/<printer name>

4. Goto directory /usr/lib/lp/postscript and replace the file postio
with /usr/bin/cat

5. Goto directory /etc/lp/fd and edit the file postio.fd to remove the
"Options" line. Replace the filter with the following commands,

        lpfilter -f postio -x
        lpfilter -f postio -F ./postio.fd

6. Restart the lp system with the following,

        /etc/init.d/lp stop       (and check that all lp-related
processes have gone)

        /etc/init.d/lp start

The printer may now work.

--

CCL,
Daresbury Laboratory,

Setting up a serial laser printer

Post by C.E.De » Fri, 19 May 1995 04:00:00

Further to my last article. One point missing from my instructions
is to remove any zsmon associated with the port to which the printer
is attached.

pmadm -l   will list the processes.
pmadm -r -s <svctag>  where <svctag> is probably ttya for serial port a

--

Post by Doug Hugh » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00

|> We have also had many problems setting up local printers on 2.4 systems.
|> In one case, the printer defaults (speed, bits, stop bits etc) had to be
|> changed to match the system defaults before it would work. Three other
|> printers would not work at all.
|>
|> The service hot line people say they have not heard of any problems !!!!

Many good tips deleted

Or you could install the BSD lpr stuff or plp

Looks like the new official site of the BSD 4.3 reno port of lpr/lpd
is going to be ftp.eng.auburn.edu:/pub/doug/lpr*

the people in Singapore have passed on the gauntlet.
There really shouldn't be that much more to do with it, except I have noticed
that there seems to be a transient lprm problem that I'm investigating
now.

Doug Hughes                                     Engineering Network Services
System/Net Admin                                Auburn University

1. setting up a serial laser printer in linux / and 2 questions

I am just curious does linux support a serial laser printer namely the
Apple laserwriter II NT.  If anyone has any info for me can you please
Emal me I'm a fairly busy person and email gets my attention a heck of
a lot quicker.

Aslo what is the current version of linux my copy is from 94/95
slackware 1.1.13 or something like that.

Last question,  concerning setting up internet ppp conections,  I am
going to have a cable modem installed on my system in the next couple
of weeks, which in turn will grant me a static IP addr,  but I also
want to plan on setting up a mini network here between the following
systems:  486/66 , p200 MMX a 286 netcom 3station "don't laugh I use
it to do remote tasks and simple text editing, and it was free" and a
386 16sx all with 16 bit coax bnu connection and cards.

I am particularly interesting on any info ppl can tell me about
setting up the 3com 3station as a remote terminal in linux.

Trevor Scallen

2. Can't get Linux slackware (kernel 1.2) to recognise my scsi future domain 18xx adaptor

3. HP-2000 Laser Printer through serial port...

4. Maximizing CSLIP throughput

5. Serial laser printers on SCO 3.2v4.2

6. changing passwords...

7. Serial laser printer problem -- help!

8. HELP: Netscape + KPPP

9. HP-2000 Laser Printer through serial port...

10. how to set up serial port paremeters for a serial printer?

11. help with setting up an HP IID laser printer in Rehat 7

12. Setting up Brother HL-1040 or HL-1050 laser printer

13. Setting up remote laser printer???