solaris format error

Post by David Hartle » Sun, 25 Feb 2001 05:48:44

I had Solaris 8 successfully installed on an Ultra 5 workstation.
Just for grins I installed Mandrake linux. I decided to reinstall Solaris 8.
I got as far as answering questions about language, swap, ... When it tried
to format the hard drive it gave me a "failed" message. I suspect that I need
to get rid of the linux master boot record. Any ideas on how to proceed?
Thanks

--
David R. Hartley

solaris format error

Post by Logan Sh » Sun, 25 Feb 2001 15:03:01

Quote:>I had Solaris 8 successfully installed on an Ultra 5 workstation.
>Just for grins I installed Mandrake linux. I decided to reinstall Solaris 8.
>I got as far as answering questions about language, swap, ... When it tried
>to format the hard drive it gave me a "failed" message. I suspect that I need
>to get rid of the linux master boot record.

You're close in that probably Linux has put something on the hard disk
which Solaris can't deal with, but it's not a master boot record.
Master boot records are a PC thing, and this is a SPARC system.

Anyway, what I would do is boot into the installer from CD-ROM, then
use the mouse in the root window to open a command tool before you
start actually using the installer window.

Then, you can use "dd" to write over the disk.  (Of course, this will
result in loss of any data on the disk.)

Probably something like this will do the trick:

        dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 bs=1024k count=10

That will write zeros over the first 10 MB of the disk.  When you've
done this, it's almost certain that any unwanted Linux partition table
stuff will be gone.

An alternate thing to do would be to fire up "format" instead of "dd".
You can probably have the "format" utility recognize the disk use
"label" to write a Solaris label onto it.  This will probably be enough
so that the system won't *on it.

Anyway, once you've done all this, just close your command tool window
and continue with the install process like normal, and hopefully that
will do the trick.

  - Logan
--
my  your   his  her   our   their   *its*
I'm you're he's she's we're they're *it's*

1. PC ATA Cards format with a PCFS format under SPARC Solaris 2.5

Hi,

  I was wondering if anyone has gotten any ATA PCMCIA cards working under
solaris 2.5 (with the Sun PCMCIA SBUS adapter card). With a card formatted
with a DOS file system.

I have read the FAQ at (This was very very useful)
http://dodo.bsn.com/BSN/Support/FAQS/pcmcia.html

and downloaded the ATA driver at

http://dodo.bsn.com/BSN/Support/Drivers/pcata.sparc.tar.gz

After installing the above package I found that the pcmciad that came
with it needed a shared library that did not appear to be part of
the standard Solaris 2.5 distribution (libdevinfo.so.1). Somehow I found that
at http://playground.Sun.COM/pub/solaris2-ipv6/libdevinfo.so.1

Anyhow. To make a long story short I am at the point where I have added
an appropriate entry to the driver_aliases file in /etc and I now have
device links in /drv/dsk and /drk/rdsk that look like :

c2d0p* and c2d0s*

None of these devices appear to be legal arguments to fdformat.

I can run the regular format command and my card does indeed show up
as a disk option. I have used the format and fdisk command to create a big
dos partion but then of course format is not capable of formatting a dos
partition.

So... Any hints?

Jeff Creem

One interesting note (maybe this means something maybe not) for anyone
else who is trying this. If I leave the PCMCIA card in the slot during
a reboot (or stick it in too soon after) the machine reboots due to a
watchdog reset. This is obviously pretty icky since we all know how happy
Solaris is to be halted without syncs....

2. xmperf

3. format error " Reserve Failed" sparc 5 solaris 8

4. First drive SCSI - not seen as first drive

5. Solaris Express NV24 on a Dell D400: "format" causes disk errors, kernel panic.

6. ls question

7. Solaris 2.4, Oracle 7.2.2.3, inodes, bus errors, and I/O errors

8. RH5.1 on Dual SCSI Bus w/AIC-7890

9. How to format 100mb ZIP with EXT2 file format

10. Microsoft file formats revisited: source for OLE formats

11. Howto change files in Dos format to Linux format

12. Format of pre-formatted tape for Wangtek 3080T

13. SLS's a2-disk - DOS-formatted or raw-formatted??