Weird behavior after flash install (CDE terminal window doesn't work!)

Weird behavior after flash install (CDE terminal window doesn't work!)

Post by DOUGLAS HEESTA » Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:19:01

I installed a Solaris system from a flash archive (Solaris 8 ->
Sunblade 150) and it seemed to go fine.  THe main problem is that when
I go to a CDE terminal window on the new system and type "ls" I don't
get any response...

#pwd
/
#ls
#
#ps -a
#

I tried it in bash and got the same result (my default shell is csh).
I have verified using the file manager app in CDE that there are lots
of files there to list and the ls command works if I telnet into the
machine from somewhere else (for one user at least, not for others).
Oddly, some commands do yield screen output from CDE terminal like pwd
(see above) and df -k.  "ps -a" does not yield any output but it does
from a telnet session.  What the heck is going on!!!

1. '..' in cdpath doesn't work in CDE 1.0 environment

I have a couple things work perfectly in openwin environment but don't
work in CDE 1.0. The first thing is that I put .. in the cdpath (I use
csh). The other is that I have an alias h is 'history \!* | tail -20' ,
while alias h still works OK in CDE 1.0, h > saved_file dosn't work any
more. I get an error message says ambiguous redirection. Since I can't
change CDE back to openwin, I was wondering someone can tell me why
those two things don't work in CDE 1.0 and what is the cure for that?
thanks.

Xixi

2. help with diagnosing sound card problem

3. Weird networking behavior (it doesn't make sense) (help?)

4. SCSI CD-ROM Timeouts

5. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work

6. Characters

7. Flash 4 doesn't work with netscape

8. Instalation problem with RedHat

9. Weird KDE installation problem: user works, root doesn't

10. CONSOLE=- doesn't work under CDE

11. CDE command line login doesn't work

12. QUESTION: mc & gpm / mouse behaviour on non-root consoles doesn't work.

13. Keypad doesn't work in CDE, but does under OpenWindows?