SunSwift + D1000 !urgent!

Post by Julian Thoma » Mon, 06 Oct 2003 06:33:48

Hi!

i've got an urgent question:

is it possible to connect a D1000 diskarray to a SunSwift PCI card?

Thanks

Julian

SunSwift + D1000 !urgent!

Post by Rich Tee » Mon, 06 Oct 2003 13:12:46

> Hi!

> i've got an urgent question:

> is it possible to connect a D1000 diskarray to a SunSwift PCI card?

The D1000 has a differential interface, and the SunSwift
is single ended.  So no, it won't work.  You can find out
the answers to these sorts of questions by looking at
SUn's HW answerbook.

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

SunSwift + D1000 !urgent!

Post by Torsten Kirschne » Mon, 06 Oct 2003 17:25:25

> > Hi!

> > i've got an urgent question:

> > is it possible to connect a D1000 diskarray to a SunSwift PCI card?

> The D1000 has a differential interface, and the SunSwift
> is single ended.  So no, it won't work.  You can find out
> the answers to these sorts of questions by looking at
> SUn's HW answerbook.

Specifically, the external interface(s) of the D1000 are HVD
- high voltage differential, while the disks are SE UW.

HBAs supporting that on SPARC Solaris can be had from Sun,
LSI Logic and others. For some time these were rather cheap, but
now even LSI charges serious money for them.

eBay, on the other hand, usually has some up for auction. The
LSI 22802 comes to mind - AFAIK, it is identical to the Sun X6541A.
These work plug&play on SPARC Solaris.

Check this out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2757315277&categor...

I haven't personally tried this modell on Solaris, so YMMV.

SunSwift + D1000 !urgent!

Post by Julian Thoma » Mon, 06 Oct 2003 18:54:28

>>>Hi!

>>>i've got an urgent question:

>>>is it possible to connect a D1000 diskarray to a SunSwift PCI card?

>>The D1000 has a differential interface, and the SunSwift
>>is single ended.  So no, it won't work.  You can find out
>>the answers to these sorts of questions by looking at
>>SUn's HW answerbook.

> Specifically, the external interface(s) of the D1000 are HVD
> - high voltage differential, while the disks are SE UW.

> HBAs supporting that on SPARC Solaris can be had from Sun,
> LSI Logic and others. For some time these were rather cheap, but
> now even LSI charges serious money for them.

> eBay, on the other hand, usually has some up for auction. The
> LSI 22802 comes to mind - AFAIK, it is identical to the Sun X6541A.
> These work plug&play on SPARC Solaris.

> Check this out:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2757315277&categor...

> I haven't personally tried this modell on Solaris, so YMMV.

THanks for the answers. I will buy a refurbished Sun Controller (X6541A
- i've read the doc to the D1000 on docs.sun.com and it's the right
controller ;))

Julian

SunSwift + D1000 !urgent!

Post by Anthony Whitehea » Mon, 06 Oct 2003 10:01:28

> Hi!

> i've got an urgent question:

> is it possible to connect a D1000 diskarray to a SunSwift PCI card?

As far as I know D1000 array's require Diff SCSI, and if I remember
rightly the SunSwift is only SE SCSI... so I would say no it won't work,
if anyone has the specs to hand they can feel free to correct me =)

/Ant

SunSwift + D1000 !urgent!

Post by Julian Thoma » Tue, 07 Oct 2003 06:31:08

>> Hi!

>> i've got an urgent question:

>> is it possible to connect a D1000 diskarray to a SunSwift PCI card?

> As far as I know D1000 array's require Diff SCSI, and if I remember
> rightly the SunSwift is only SE SCSI... so I would say no it won't work,
> if anyone has the specs to hand they can feel free to correct me =)

> /Ant

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via
> Encryption =---

i found the spec at sunsolve. You're right. The SunSwift is single-ended
and the D1000 requiresa diff. scsi-controller.

Thanks to all for the fast replies!

Julian

SunSwift + D1000 !urgent!

Post by Kralizec Cra » Sun, 12 Oct 2003 06:45:02

>i've got an urgent question:
>is it possible to connect a D1000 diskarray to a SunSwift PCI card?

No - the D1000 (and A1000) arrays use HVD SCSI, and the SunSwift cards are
SE/LVD SCSI, not HVD. You will have to use something like an x6541a card
(aka Symbios/LSI SYM-22802), or another HVD SCSI card using a Symbios/LSI
53c87x series controller which will work with the Solaris 'glm' driver.

Craig.
--
 SUN RIPENED KERNELS - Surplus Sun Microsystems Equipment, Parts + Accessories
    Waterfall, NSW, Australia - Operated by Craig Dewick - Founded in 1996

1. ftp/urgent/urgent/urgent

iam using linux
i am having problem witha user not being able to ftp in to the server
with in the lan. all other users can. I checked the follwing files
 484 Feb 28 10:30 /etc/ftpaccess
 456 Feb 28 10:30 /etc/ftpconversion
  39 Feb 28 10:30 /etc/ftpgroups
 104 Feb 28 10:30 /etc/ftphosts
  79 Feb 28 10:30 /etc/ftpusers
they don't have much in them.

the error message logged is Aug  4 15:13:10 linus ftpd[7144]: failed
login from linus [192.168.254.26]

any clues

please help

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Gateway G6-450 SB AudioPCI 64D How do I???

3. URGENT URGENT URGENT

4. volcheck Re: Ultra 1, diskette not seen?

5. ftp problem/urgent/urgent/urgent

6. Xwindows login problem.

7. Problem with Sunswift/Compaq disk

8. Fetching News

9. SunSwift 1 & 2

10. SunSwift Fast Ethernet Performance Problem

11. SunSwift SBus Adapter not working?

12. SunSwift hme and full duplex

13. Sunswift Card with Solaris 2.4