JumpStart almost working... but not quite

Post by savares » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 22:25:17

> Upon "boot net - install", my clients do discover their IP address and
> get the kernel.  The kernel starts and siplays the "SunOS Release..."
> message. Nothing more is printed on the display.  By snooping, I can
> see that some NFS traffic follows, and a while later the install client
> tries to dump core.

Without output I don't know for certain, but I had a similar problem and it
was a typo in my /etc/bootparams file. Look in there to make sure that your
clients are configured correctly. In particular make sure all the mount
points are correct.

Scott

Post by savares » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 05:46:56

> It looks like Solaris 8 10/01 media is defective.  The root directory
> is missing an awful lot of /dev stuff.  1/01, 4/01, 7/01 media has no
> such problems.  Did the install procedure change?  It would seem un-
> likely that a defective CD would have made it through the quality
> control process.

I have a feeling that the /dev directory isn't the issue (my dev directory
has 50 entries)...The jumpstart should rebuild the /devices and /dev trees
during the installation... Have you obtained successful jumpstarts using
the 7/01 media?

Scott

Post by savares » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 22:24:06

> My Sun rep said their 10/01 media has all the files in /dev and they're
> going to give me a new copy.  I'm setting up 7/01 as we speak.  This is
> the first ever time I'm dabbling in Jumpstart.

I totally doubt it has to do with the media you are using, but yeah...try
it with the 7/01 and see what happens. Just to ask...What commands did you
use to set up the jumpstart server? And what commands did you do to set up
an individual client? And of couse to start the client, you did a
"boot net - install", right?

Scott

Post by Jay Lesse » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 05:52:01

> > Upon "boot net - install", my clients do discover their IP address and
> > get the kernel.  The kernel starts and siplays the "SunOS Release..."
> > message. Nothing more is printed on the display.  By snooping, I can
> > see that some NFS traffic follows, and a while later the install client
> > tries to dump core.

Ran into the exact same symptoms.  In my case, the problem was that I ignored
the instructions to share the jumpstart/boot directory with '-o ro,anon=0' (the
parent directory was already shared, so I figured what the hell).

Bad idea.  They mean it.  So go check your dfstab.

-Jay-

1. Help! SMB Printing almost working but not quite.

Hi All,

I am a bit of a newbie to this Linux thing, but I have managed to get
get my Micron Xpe notenook up and running RedHat 4.2.  I have everthing
working except printing.  Our shop here is filled with MicroSchlock and
therefore all of our printers are SMB devices.  So using the smbclient I
have been able to "print" a file using the smb command line.  Great, but
I can't get the silly PrintTool that comes with RedHat to send a test
page to lp which is the name of the local print queue.  HELP  the
command line that I used to connect to the printer using smb client
looks like:

-U VHANCH

after this, I get prompted for my password and then I get the cool
little [smb: /] prompt.  How do I get "lp" to forward out put to this
device?

Any tips are greatly appriciated,

Vince
--
   /\  /\
  /  \/  \   Vincent M. Hanchon

   \/  \/    Becomming M$ free in '97

2. Oversized ethernet packets?

3. Apache & SSL almost working...just not quite

4. Will the 3c515 card work?

5. NVidia almost works but not quite! Help!

6. lilo hd= parameter not working in kernel version 2.0

7. bootps almost working but not quite

8. Firewall Newbie - HELP

9. Ricoh DC2e protocol almost working, but not quite

10. Help - SOCKS almost working but not quite

11. SLIP/TIA - Almost ... but not quite

12. Almost but not quite there! (ipchains)

13. almost a ppp connection, but not quite! Help.