(Was Re: Jail creation failure) Are Zones Easier than Jails?

Post by Karen Hil » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 06:43:13

> > I followed the Jail manpage but I'm not getting a jail!  I get to the
> > point where I cd to /usr/src and type make world, but I get a message
> > saying there is nothing to be done!!!

> > I have GCC installed as well as the kernel source and I successfully
> > compiled a kernel on this system...

> > What am I doing wrong?  I have FreeBSD 5.4 Stable.

> For starters, you forgot to *show* us the problem (you only described
> it in vague terms).

I typed the following, exactly like from the man page:

     D=/myjail/192.168.0.2
     cd /usr/src
     mkdir -p $D
     make world DESTDIR=$D

When I got to make world I got a message saying "Stop.  Nothing to be
done."  I installed every package available on the FreeBSD 5.4 Release
CDs to make sure I had every package and tried again.  Still it said
the same thing.  I googled but I didn't see anything that matches my
problem.

I'm not exactly a UNIX expert although I have installed FreeBSD all by
myself.  I also compiled my own BSD kernel successfully after the
second try.  I even compiled the Linux kernel when I was using Linux
although it was quite messy.  Going from 2.4 to 2.6 requires new mod
utilities even though linus doesn't say anything in his readme about
it!  Took me a whole day to figure out why my modules weren't loading.
lol.

Well, I am a recent convert to BSD from Linux and I must say that BSD
is completely more logical than Linux ever was.  The kernel build
process in FreeBSD is much easier than Linux.  FreeBSD boots in a
quarter of the time that Linux did on my computer.

Anyway, if the Linux->BSD conversion was so good for me, would the
BSD->Solaris 10 be just as good?  Would someone of my experience be
able to install Solaris 10?  I'm mostly interested in zones as I have
one computer and I would like my Postgresql database to be in one
jail/zone and the web server in another.  Since BSD is not letting my
create jails easily I was thinking if Solaris 10 is easy to install, I
may just try that instead.

Also, I've gotten used to not having runlevels.  Has Solaris 10 ever
considered abandoning Sys V and going more ala BSD?  Symlinks to empty
files seems rather silly when BSD init have proven to be better...but
zones/jails are more important to me so I'll overlook the runlevels
issues..

(Was Re: Jail creation failure) Are Zones Easier than Jails?

Post by Kris Kennawa » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 08:44:14

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc.]

>> > I followed the Jail manpage but I'm not getting a jail!  I get to the
>> > point where I cd to /usr/src and type make world, but I get a message
>> > saying there is nothing to be done!!!

>> > I have GCC installed as well as the kernel source and I successfully
>> > compiled a kernel on this system...

>> > What am I doing wrong?  I have FreeBSD 5.4 Stable.

>> For starters, you forgot to *show* us the problem (you only described
>> it in vague terms).

> I typed the following, exactly like from the man page:

>      D=/myjail/192.168.0.2
>      cd /usr/src
>      mkdir -p $D
>      make world DESTDIR=$D

> When I got to make world I got a message saying "Stop.  Nothing to be
> done."

I doubt that was the literal error message, but it sounds like you
don't have the FreeBSD source installed.  If you think you do, then
please post an exact transcript.

Quote:> I installed every package available on the FreeBSD 5.4 Release
> CDs to make sure I had every package and tried again.

This is irrelevant and just took up space on your system ..the
packages are third party software and not required for operation of
FreeBSD :-)

Kris

Post by Rich Tee » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 10:22:24

> Anyway, if the Linux->BSD conversion was so good for me, would the
> BSD->Solaris 10 be just as good?  Would someone of my experience be
> able to install Solaris 10?  I'm mostly interested in zones as I have

Most likely.

Quote:> Also, I've gotten used to not having runlevels.  Has Solaris 10 ever
> considered abandoning Sys V and going more ala BSD?  Symlinks to empty

Heh.  That waould truely be a step backwards, because Solaris (then called
SunOS) went from BSD -> SVR4 more than a decade ago!

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Post by Bill Vermilli » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 02:05:00

>> Anyway, if the Linux->BSD conversion was so good for me, would the
>> BSD->Solaris 10 be just as good?  Would someone of my experience be
>> able to install Solaris 10?  I'm mostly interested in zones as I have

>Most likely.

>> Also, I've gotten used to not having runlevels.  Has Solaris 10 ever
>> considered abandoning Sys V and going more ala BSD?  Symlinks to empty

>Heh.  That waould truely be a step backwards, because Solaris (then called
>SunOS) went from BSD -> SVR4 more than a decade ago!

OTOH you call it 'righting a wrong' :-)

Bill

says...

I admire your passion, Chris..

The only issues which have kept myself from looking seriously at Linux
would be:

* It's Unix and the learning curve to start getting productive strikes me
as probably very steep

* It doesn't support plug-and-play.  If your hardware doesn't have Linux
drivers, it don't play..

* Not nearly the amount of developers out there doing stuff for Linux as
there are for Wintel.  Can I get MS Office for Linux?  Can I get
Photoshop for Linux?  Can I get QuarkXpress for Linux? etc.. a big turn
off for me.

--
Reuben King
Email: "reuben at texas dot net" (in plain english to foil spam-bots.

2. newbie Fetchmail dilemna

3. SofToken for SunOS available

5. ksh and nameexpansion

6. Am I touchy? Or am I right?

7. Help needed with telnet welcome login

11. I am si**y am I?

12. okay I am NEWBIE and i need some help: RPM failures????