Problem with Solaris 2.1 X86 and Seagate ST-11200N disk

Problem with Solaris 2.1 X86 and Seagate ST-11200N disk

Post by Tomas Olovss » Wed, 24 Nov 1993 21:07:24

I have a problem installing Solaris 2.1 X86 on a system togehter
with a Seagate ST-11200N (1GByte) disk. It seems like Solaris makes
some kind of initialization of the SCSI bus when the kernel is booted
which causes this disk to hang "PANIC: aha_docmd: adapter won't go idle".

Everything works fine until this disk is connected to the SCSI-bus.
The problem is reproduced on many different systems (all 486 though)
with both Adaptec 1542B and 1542C controllers. Someone here said that there
should be a known problem with this disk and some "Start" command. Does
anyone have more info? Both Seagate and eventually Sun will receive
a problem report, but my problem *might* be that Sun blames Seagate and
Seagate Sun... Therefore I try to reach out to the world and see whether
anyone knows more.

  Thanks
  Tomas

--

___                    _                           Dept of Computer Engineering

Post by Alan Walendows » Thu, 02 Dec 1993 06:57:44

>I have a problem installing Solaris 2.1 X86 on a system togehter
>with a Seagate ST-11200N (1GByte) disk. It seems like Solaris makes
>some kind of initialization of the SCSI bus when the kernel is booted
>which causes this disk to hang "PANIC: aha_docmd: adapter won't go idle".

>Everything works fine until this disk is connected to the SCSI-bus.
>The problem is reproduced on many different systems (all 486 though)
>with both Adaptec 1542B and 1542C controllers. Someone here said that there
>should be a known problem with this disk and some "Start" command. Does
>anyone have more info? Both Seagate and eventually Sun will receive
>a problem report, but my problem *might* be that Sun blames Seagate and
>Seagate Sun... Therefore I try to reach out to the world and see whether
>anyone knows more.

>  Thanks
>  Tomas

 My x86 Solaris system also uses an Adaptec 1542c SCSI controller. I
 see the "PANIC: aha_docmd: adapter won't go idle" message when I
 let the 1542c install its BIOS (which it does by factory default,
 since it's a DOS-oriented controller). If you go into the SCSI-setup
 (boot, then hit ctrl-A when it tells you to), and choose "advanced
 SCSI setup" or something like that.  The very first option is to
 enable or disable the default installation of the adaptec BIOS.

 For Solaris, I leave it disabled.  For DOS, when I need to get to
 that particular disk, I enable it.

 A side note: I believe the adaptec BIOS needs to be enabled when
 you're installing Solaris from the CD (with the boot diskette).

 Works for me. Good luck.

       -w

--

    "They're taking all the fun out of *." - Carl Hiaasen

Post by John Stoss » Fri, 03 Dec 1993 02:15:06

>>I have a problem installing Solaris 2.1 X86 on a system togehter
>>with a Seagate ST-11200N (1GByte) disk. It seems like Solaris makes
>>some kind of initialization of the SCSI bus when the kernel is booted
>>which causes this disk to hang "PANIC: aha_docmd: adapter won't go idle".

>>Everything works fine until this disk is connected to the SCSI-bus.
>>The problem is reproduced on many different systems (all 486 though)
>>with both Adaptec 1542B and 1542C controllers. Someone here said that there
>>should be a known problem with this disk and some "Start" command. Does
>>anyone have more info? Both Seagate and eventually Sun will receive
>>a problem report, but my problem *might* be that Sun blames Seagate and
>>Seagate Sun... Therefore I try to reach out to the world and see whether
>>anyone knows more.

>>  Thanks
>>  Tomas

> My x86 Solaris system also uses an Adaptec 1542c SCSI controller. I
> see the "PANIC: aha_docmd: adapter won't go idle" message when I
> let the 1542c install its BIOS (which it does by factory default,
> since it's a DOS-oriented controller). If you go into the SCSI-setup
> (boot, then hit ctrl-A when it tells you to), and choose "advanced
> SCSI setup" or something like that.  The very first option is to
> enable or disable the default installation of the adaptec BIOS.

> For Solaris, I leave it disabled.  For DOS, when I need to get to
> that particular disk, I enable it.

> A side note: I believe the adaptec BIOS needs to be enabled when
> you're installing Solaris from the CD (with the boot diskette).

> Works for me. Good luck.

>       -w

The real fix for the "PANIC: aha_docmd: adapter won't go idle" message
with 1542c and Seagate ST-11200N is to disabling 'Enable Disconnection'
feature in the SCSI setup.

Per Adaptec's documentation, "this feature allows SCSI devices to work
while <off> the bus."  It notes that "disconnection should NOT be
disabled in multitasking environments like..unix. Timeout errors may
occur." 1540/42C default setting of 'Enable Disconnection' is Yes.

But the error message  "panic: aha_docmd: adapter won't go IDLE" seems
to indicate that solaris driver expects  the controller go idle at the
time.  I don't know if solaris driver can't handle multi-tasking on the
controller side, or what else -controller or the drive, but solaris
installation was succeeded by disabling this feature.

On 1542B, the feature is not available.  But solaris installation
continued without panic by changing termination jumpers on the Seagate
ST-11200N.

If the 1540 is the only or primary controller then the BIOS should be
enabled. If it isn't then should be disabled.

John Stossel