Caldera vs. RedHat 5.x vs Solaris 2.6 x86

Caldera vs. RedHat 5.x vs Solaris 2.6 x86

Post by Divya Sundara » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00



Hi all,

I am trying (desperately) to decide between which package to buy for
personal use (and to recommend to friends).

What are the differences in the implemenation of Linux itself between
the two. For example, RH5.0 has made the transition to glibc from libc.
is the same true of Caldera's implementation?

If I get RH5.0, can I ever expect to run Netscape SuiteSpot and/or
ApplixWare on it?

Finally, is there even a version of the Netscape Server Software for
Solaris x86? Are there any Office suites for Solaris x86? This seems to
be the least well supported of the PC Unixen .... (IMHO).

Having used Solaris on SPARC, I would prefer to buy Solaris x86, but
experience suggests that Linux would be a better choice (at least for
now) due to better application and device support. Now the questions
becomes, which Linux?

I want to:
        Get better at Perl
        Learn Perl/Tk
        Do Java Programming (later on)
        C/C++ programming
        Have a Basic Office suite to write/store documents
        Play with a SQL Database (i.e. PostGres)
        Run the Netscape Suitespot Servers
        Learn EMACS even better

I am trying to supplement the Windows NT system at home with a UNIX
system for my personal use (to use as a teaching tool for personal
development). I would appreciate any help in making the correct choice
for Unix.

Regards

(If you do reply, please remember to de-spam my address).

 
 
 

Caldera vs. RedHat 5.x vs Solaris 2.6 x86

Post by Howard Huntl » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00


Well, Well, I thought I was the only person with a large computer lab
at home. I have a Sparc station running SunOS, Dual 150 Mhz pentium,
166 mmx and a 75 Mhz pentium on a network with fast ether net cards on
a 10M/s hub. I have WinNT/Win95/linux Red Hat v4.2 running on the dual
pentium. I really favor linux if you plan to run a pc. If you plan to
move up to a large scale go for Solaris.


>Hi all,

>I am trying (desperately) to decide between which package to buy for
>personal use (and to recommend to friends).

>What are the differences in the implemenation of Linux itself between
>the two. For example, RH5.0 has made the transition to glibc from libc.
>is the same true of Caldera's implementation?

>If I get RH5.0, can I ever expect to run Netscape SuiteSpot and/or
>ApplixWare on it?

>Finally, is there even a version of the Netscape Server Software for
>Solaris x86? Are there any Office suites for Solaris x86? This seems to
>be the least well supported of the PC Unixen .... (IMHO).

>Having used Solaris on SPARC, I would prefer to buy Solaris x86, but
>experience suggests that Linux would be a better choice (at least for
>now) due to better application and device support. Now the questions
>becomes, which Linux?

>I want to:
>    Get better at Perl
>    Learn Perl/Tk
>    Do Java Programming (later on)
>    C/C++ programming
>    Have a Basic Office suite to write/store documents
>    Play with a SQL Database (i.e. PostGres)
>    Run the Netscape Suitespot Servers
>    Learn EMACS even better

>I am trying to supplement the Windows NT system at home with a UNIX
>system for my personal use (to use as a teaching tool for personal
>development). I would appreciate any help in making the correct choice
>for Unix.

>Regards

>(If you do reply, please remember to de-spam my address).


 
 
 

Caldera vs. RedHat 5.x vs Solaris 2.6 x86

Post by Howard Huntl » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00


begin 644 pcdesktop.JPG
<encoded_portion_removed>

 
 
 

Caldera vs. RedHat 5.x vs Solaris 2.6 x86

Post by Howard Huntl » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00


<encoded_portion_removed>

 
 
 

Caldera vs. RedHat 5.x vs Solaris 2.6 x86

Post by Howard Huntl » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00


<encoded_portion_removed>
end

 
 
 

Caldera vs. RedHat 5.x vs Solaris 2.6 x86

Post by Paul Low » Fri, 02 Jan 1998 04:00:00


Why not get Caldera and RedHat -- that way you'll have the best of both
worlds. I don't know about Solaris -- just that I can say that more
stuff is written for Linux than Solaris. (from what I've seen)

Paul Lowe


> Hi all,

> I am trying (desperately) to decide between which package to buy for
> personal use (and to recommend to friends).

> What are the differences in the implemenation of Linux itself between
> the two. For example, RH5.0 has made the transition to glibc from libc.
> is the same true of Caldera's implementation?

> If I get RH5.0, can I ever expect to run Netscape SuiteSpot and/or
> ApplixWare on it?

> Finally, is there even a version of the Netscape Server Software for
> Solaris x86? Are there any Office suites for Solaris x86? This seems to
> be the least well supported of the PC Unixen .... (IMHO).

> Having used Solaris on SPARC, I would prefer to buy Solaris x86, but
> experience suggests that Linux would be a better choice (at least for
> now) due to better application and device support. Now the questions
> becomes, which Linux?

> I want to:
>         Get better at Perl
>         Learn Perl/Tk
>         Do Java Programming (later on)
>         C/C++ programming
>         Have a Basic Office suite to write/store documents
>         Play with a SQL Database (i.e. PostGres)
>         Run the Netscape Suitespot Servers
>         Learn EMACS even better

> I am trying to supplement the Windows NT system at home with a UNIX
> system for my personal use (to use as a teaching tool for personal
> development). I would appreciate any help in making the correct choice
> for Unix.

> Regards

> (If you do reply, please remember to de-spam my address).

 
 
 

Caldera vs. RedHat 5.x vs Solaris 2.6 x86

Post by Bob Palowo » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00



says...

Quote:> Why not get Caldera and RedHat -- that way you'll have the best of both
> worlds. I don't know about Solaris -- just that I can say that more
> stuff is written for Linux than Solaris. (from what I've seen)

Yes I will agree with you that their is "more stuff" written for Linux.
But man what a nightmare keeping up with what threaded lib version works
on a "version" of Linux with "what" version of the compiler.  Don't get
me wrong their are a lot of good running applications on Linux.  And
most of the binaries work without recompiling.  But it seems like the
Lunix community has a yahoo approach to producing software that makes
it difficult to keep up with.  I would venture to say that maintaining
a Linux machine you would have to have some system admin background in
Unix, and some c-development experience.  You don't have too but the
combination and rate of changes to the Linux OS will cause you to acquire
the knowledge, or buy the latest .00.00x CD from what ever vendor has
the latest one burned.  The only thing that impedes Lunix success in the
commercial industry is how versioning and distribution is controled.

---Bob

 
 
 

Caldera vs. RedHat 5.x vs Solaris 2.6 x86

Post by nabb.. » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00



says...


>says...
>> Why not get Caldera and RedHat -- that way you'll have the best of both
>> worlds. I don't know about Solaris -- just that I can say that more
>> stuff is written for Linux than Solaris. (from what I've seen)

since most of the software written for Linux is avaliable in source
code, it can be build for solaris also. I think Sun is making a big
mistake by not doing enough for solarisx86. If I were in charge at Sun,
I'll get 2 or 3 programmers, assign them the job of doing nothing but
port software to Solarisx86. If Sun waits for someone else to do it,
it will be too late. I think Sun management have no clue about the PC
market, they only are looking at the high end of things.

Quote:

>Yes I will agree with you that their is "more stuff" written for Linux.
>But man what a nightmare keeping up with what threaded lib version works
>on a "version" of Linux with "what" version of the compiler.

yes, I had problems the other day trying to figure the right .so library
to use for which version, I dont remember the detailes, but I remember I was
very confused about this :)

Nasser

 
 
 

Caldera vs. RedHat 5.x vs Solaris 2.6 x86

Post by Tracy R Re » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00



>the latest one burned.  The only thing that impedes Lunix success in the
>commercial industry is how versioning and distribution is controled.

You want developers to slow down the rate at which Linux is evolving?

I would wager that keeping track of all of the DLL's, patch levels, and
what not in NT is as big of a pain.

--
Tracy Reed      http://www.ultraviolet.org
What's nice about GUI is that you see what you manipulate.
What's bad about GUI is that you can only manipulate what you see.

 
 
 

Caldera vs. RedHat 5.x vs Solaris 2.6 x86

Post by Rodger Donalds » Sun, 04 Jan 1998 04:00:00



Quote:>I would wager that keeping track of all of the DLL's, patch levels, and
>what not in NT is as big of a pain.

Actually, it isn't, but that's only because you have so much less control
over upgrades.  Which I consider a big minus, as did many people who
installed NT SP2 to fix maybe one trivial problem, and hosed their system.

--

The Pinguin Patrol

 
 
 

1. Benchmarks x86 Solaris vs Linux and Solaris 2.6 x86 vs sparc

It has been requested that someone try some benchmark comparing:
1. Solaris 2.6 on various hardware (sparc vs x86)
2. Different OS's on the same x86 hardware.

I did both: http://www.math.fsu.edu/~bellenot/solaris/benchmark.txt
Your Mileage May Vary, I make no claims that these benchmarks
say anything important other than for amusement.

I did two kinds of tests. A numerical test I have been using
for years. And I timed about a 100 source file debug build.

The numerical tests are available, older results are in
http://www.math.fsu.edu/~bellenot/solaris/bench.txt
--

2. KDE Mail utility under YellowDog

3. SunOS 5.6 vs Solaris 2.6 vs Solaris 7 vs Solaris 8

4. Q ydl update,zip,kernel

5. Redhat vs Debian vs Yggdrasil vs Caldera vs ...

6. Qvision/Compaq video card

7. Evaluation pointers: x86-Solaris vs x86-NT vs SPARC-Solaris

8. Why programmers hate Microsoft

9. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

10. Slackware vs SuSE vs Debian vs Redhat vs ....

11. Slackware vs. Caldera vs. Red Hat vs. ...

12. market share of solaris versions (2.6 vs. 2.7 vs. 8)

13. RedHat vs Caldera vs Slackware