wu-ftpd 2.4, Solaris, failed PASV connect from anonymous

wu-ftpd 2.4, Solaris, failed PASV connect from anonymous

Post by Admi » Sun, 16 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I am having trouble getting the ftp daemon to allow anonymous users to
obtain passive connections.  This is also the case with the ftpd solaris
ships with, so I am assuming a solaris cause.  I looked through the
source and all I could think of was that the user ftp did not have
permissions enough to create a passive connection, one that may be
connected on a (what the hell are they called....) restricted port
(superuser only can use like ports under 100).

The reason I suspect this is because users with real accounts (those that
aren't ftp or anonymous) can establish this connection.

This is really important!!!  Can anyone help me out??

- BRad

Post by Jacques Car » Mon, 01 May 1995 04:00:00

>I am having trouble getting the ftp daemon to allow anonymous users to
>obtain passive connections.  This is also the case with the ftpd solaris
>ships with, so I am assuming a solaris cause.  I looked through the
>source and all I could think of was that the user ftp did not have
>permissions enough to create a passive connection, one that may be
>connected on a (what the hell are they called....) restricted port
>(superuser only can use like ports under 100).

>The reason I suspect this is because users with real accounts (those that
>aren't ftp or anonymous) can establish this connection.

I had the same problem with an ISC 4.1 system, so it's not Solaris-related :->

If you look at the code, you'll see a nice socket() call when handling the
PASV command... socket() usually just is an interface to open("/dev/tcp")
or whatever it is on your system.

You usually need a /dev/tcp or something equivalent in your anonymous
hierarchy, just make sure it's there and that it is accessible by
everybody who needs it (though I'm not sure what the _exact_ permissions
should be for it not to become a security hole?).

Hope that helps,

Jacques.

--- Jacques Caron - Pressimage Telematique
    Mail:   5/7 rue Raspail - 93108 Montreuil Cedex - France

    Tel:    +33 (1) 49 88 63 56
    Fax:    +33 (1) 49 88 63 64

1. wu-ftpd 2.4 and anoynmous PASV mode?

I'm using wu-2.4 and having a problem with PASV mode.  It doesn't work for
anonymous users, reporting a 425 error.

As far as I can tell from looking at the source, this means that either
socket(), bind(), getsockname(), or listen() is failing.  Any ideas what I
should do?

Ed Snible

2. Four Port card

3. wu-ftpd 2.4 anonymous user setup problems

4. Install MkLinux from a FTP Server

5. Wu-ftpd 2.4 under Solaris 2.4

6. SCSI command lengths wrong in kernel?

7. Slackware 3.0 and wu-ftpd anonymous login fails to list directories or files

8. network map w/ ping question

9. wu-ftpd 'ls' fails only for anonymous

10. FreeBSD ftpd 6.0 vs wu-ftpd 2.4

11. wu-ftpd with multihome patch, anonymous fail!

12. wu-ftpd on Solaris 2.4 ?

13. Where: wu-ftpd for Solaris 2.4