setting up .rhosts file on Sun Solaris 2.7

setting up .rhosts file on Sun Solaris 2.7

Post by Rahul Kharwadka » Wed, 06 Jun 2001 10:20:27

I have two servers AA and BB where I have root access and would like to
set up /.rhosts or /etc/hosts.equiv files with each others entries so
that I can access both servers to copy using rcp or execute remote shell
without supplying passwords. I tried setting up both files but am not
able to do rcp successfully. Both are Sun Solaris 2.7. I would
appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,
 Rahul

Post by Rich Tee » Wed, 06 Jun 2001 14:02:13

> I have two servers AA and BB where I have root access and would like to
> set up /.rhosts or /etc/hosts.equiv files with each others entries so
> that I can access both servers to copy using rcp or execute remote shell
> without supplying passwords. I tried setting up both files but am not
> able to do rcp successfully. Both are Sun Solaris 2.7. I would
> appreciate any help on this.

Ack!  Do yourself a favour: don't try this!  It's a very bad habit
to get into, from a security point of view...

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:00:32

> I have two servers AA and BB where I have root access and would like to
> set up /.rhosts or /etc/hosts.equiv files with each others entries so
> that I can access both servers to copy using rcp or execute remote shell
> without supplying passwords. I tried setting up both files but am not
> able to do rcp successfully. Both are Sun Solaris 2.7. I would
> appreciate any help on this.

Solaris version won't matter. I've got Solaris 2.5, 2.6, 7 and 8 and /.rhosts
works fine when I try it. Mine look like:

servername                      root
servername.fully.qualified.com  root

I basically cover all bases for hostnames, just in case NIS+ fails and it
reverts to DNS.

Of course, the REAL solution is to install SSH on the system and disable all
the r-command services, telnet, ftp, etc..

setting up .rhosts file on Sun Solaris 2.7

Post by Greg Be » Thu, 07 Jun 2001 23:12:45

On Mon, 04 Jun 2001 18:20:27 -0700, Rahul Kharwadkar

>I have two servers AA and BB where I have root access and would like to
>set up /.rhosts or /etc/hosts.equiv files with each others entries so
>that I can access both servers to copy using rcp or execute remote shell
>without supplying passwords. I tried setting up both files but am not
>able to do rcp successfully. Both are Sun Solaris 2.7. I would
>appreciate any help on this.

>Thanks,
> Rahul

What shell are you using for your root account?
Hopefully not  /bin/csh as your shell has to be 'clean'
for these types of commands to work.

Greg Bell

setting up .rhosts file on Sun Solaris 2.7

Post by Kjetil Torgrim Homm » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 06:18:42

[Atro Tossavainen]

>   > I have two servers AA and BB where I have root access and would
>   > like to set up /.rhosts or /etc/hosts.equiv files with each
>   > others entries so that

>   ...everybody and their cousin can 0wn your box in short order.

>   Don't do it.

... unless you trust your physical network and have appropriate
filtering in the router.  Setting up SSH is probably a better idea,
though.

Kjetil T.

1. ssh-files in sun solaris 2.7

I have got some ssh_ filer e in my /etc directory:

ssh_config
ssh_host_key
ssh_host_key.
ssh_host_key.pub
ssh_known_hosts (very large)
ssh_random_seed
sshd.pid

I think I once saw that has to do with SecuritySocket ?!

I don't like some of the content (domain-names). Can
anyone explain what its all about?

excuse for cross-posting into alt.solaris.

newbie-finn

2. Modula-3 and mixed language kernel coding

3. Solaris 2.7 on SUN Server 690

4. Can't use "MAKE" command

5. CISCO AS2509-RJ as Console Terminal for SUN SPARC Ultra 5 on Solaris 2.7

6. Cable Modem and DHCP Leases

7. RIP protocol over Sun solaris 2.7

8. AIX 4.2 mksysb - how to restore some files?

9. Solaris 2.7 on E450 sun box problem

10. ostream::operator<< deadlocks in MT environment under Sun's C++ 5.0 / Solaris 2.7

11. Sum: Solaris 2.7 on SUN 690

12. Solaris 2.7 and Sun Ultra 5 question

13. SUN ULTRA 5 running Solaris 2.7