to copy file from remote file system

Post by David M » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 07:18:24

What is the best and fastest way  to copy a remote file system to a
local disk (include all hidden files)

Post by Tony Curti » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 07:33:12

>> On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 22:18:24 GMT,

> What is the best and fastest way to copy a remote file
> system to a local disk (include all hidden files)

depends on how you intend to access the remote fs.  Is it
NFS mounted?  Is this a web question, ftp, cross-platform?
Are you mirroring the disk in some way, or is this a
one-time copy?

You need to provide more info on what you're trying to do.

hth
Just reach into these holes.  I use a carrot.

Post by RK » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 07:36:04

> What is the best and fastest way  to copy a remote file system to a
> local disk (include all hidden files)

Tar everything into one huge file, compress that, and then FTP it over.  The
downside here is that you'll need room for the tarball.

Alternative:  Share out the remote filesystem with NFS, then mount it
locally.  Use either cp -Pr or cpio to copy everything.  Then umount the
filesystem, and then unshare it on the remote system.

Alternative:  Set up an .rhosts file on the remote system, and then use
rcp -pr to copy everything to your local system.  (Don't be lazy and put "+"
in .rhosts, because then you'll have little hacker *s galavanting
around in the system.)

to copy file from remote file system

Post by jccode » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 10:12:43

mount up the remote file system, then do the following:

find  . -print |cpio -pdm /your/new/dir

you can also do dump restore, dd, tar  - just depends on what you what.
do the man on the above to setup.

> What is the best and fastest way  to copy a remote file system to a
> local disk (include all hidden files)

1. copy umsdos file system to ext2 file system

I have a fully opperational linux file system on a dos partition installed as a umsdos
system and would like to copy it to a linux ext2 partition. Is this possible?
I am using loadlin to load linux, I do not want to use lilo.
This is my present partition table:

/dev/hdb5  6   dos 16-bit >=32M    slackware 96
/dev/hdb6  83  Linux native        redhat 4.1
/dev/hdb7  83  Linux native        empty ext2 500meg partition

Linux on hdb5 is running perfectly and I have almost 300Megs on it and I don't want
to load it from scratch.

Thaanks in advance,

2. Q) How to change the X startup background just after startx?

3. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux

4. Boot failure code 593

5. Copying files across file systems

6. Linux and Bar code scanners

7. cannot copy 8.5Giga files into a 15Giga file system

8. mouse and X

9. format, copy files to floppy, make it PC file system

10. Problem copying files with holes to msdos file system

11. "Standard Journaled File System" vs "Large File Enabled Journaled File System"

12. Copying files from my WIN 95 System to my Linux System

13. Copy files from Unix system another system