Newbie Q: stderr

Post by Jim Mitchel » Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi again!

  Can anyone tell me how to redirect the contents of stderr so I can
look at a compiler's output at leisure, instead of hoping that the mass
of my voluminous errors will stay within the scroll buffer?

Thanx,

Jim

Newbie Q: stderr

Post by Mike J Oropez » Sat, 29 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Can anyone tell me how to redirect the contents of stderr so I can
> look at a compiler's output at leisure, instead of hoping that the mass
> of my voluminous errors will stay within the scroll buffer?

"Mass of voluminous errors?" Hey, you must program like me!

From Bourne:
$ make myBuggy.c > myBuggy.log 2>&1

(The "2>&1" sez: make file descriptor 2 a copy of file descriptor 1)
--
Mike J Oropeza
----------------------------------

Newbie Q: stderr

Post by Guy Harr » Sat, 29 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>From Bourne:

(or Korn, or Bourne-again, or...)

Quote:>$ make myBuggy.c > myBuggy.log 2>&1

And from the Hellshell^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HC shell, or compatible shells:

        % make myBuggy.c >& myBuggy.log

1. More Win95 --> Linux Newbie Qs

Thank you all for the responses!  I got PPP up and running today, now
all I have to do
is track down the Linux ver of Netscape.  Just one more question:  Does
anyone know how to get a "screen dump"?

I'm referring to something like Windows95 Alt-PrintScreen (which copies
the current window to the clipboard as a bitmap).

--
To think, that sigs were once a kludge...

2. How to get pid from process name?

3. 3 newbie Qs on partitioning a hard disk

4. FA: Cisco 4 port Fast Serial Interface Processor card (FSIP-4) for 7000 & 7500 series routers

5. Newbie Qs: Kernel patching and ppp auto dialing for no (apparent) reason

6. sonypi driver update

7. Newbie Qs & As

8. Argc! black screen, cursor only - X w/ Stealth 24

9. Newbie Linuxer & misc. Qs (LONG!)

10. Newbie setup Qs for RH

11. Newbie Qs

12. newbie qs: netstat -an explanation with ports

13. Newbie Qs on ipchains